Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1. #21
    The Geeky Pilot bhursey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Oakwood GA
    Posts
    882
    My wife dosent like the kit idea. She thinks it will cost more in the long run. So im thinking the Maker Select v2 metal frame looks good. Its the same as the forge on the FT site. But looks like you still really need the mosfet upgrade. So I may need to save longer.
    Just call me Brian.. AMA: 688510 : Flying since 1998 took a 12 year hiatus 2003-2015 : Hanger :FT Arrow FPV "Scrach", FT Tiny Trainer "Speed Build", FT Scout "Scratch" , Old school balsa trainer from the 90s, Old School Hotliner Glider from the 90s. , FPV Vapor.

  2. #22
    Gravity Tester Snarls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,771
    If you are really set on getting the Maker Select v2 (same as Hyperion Ft sells and Wanhao i3) you could always settle for printing PLA with no heated bed for the time being. Personally I rarely use my heated bed because I don't print with ABS and I usually print small parts which have a low risk of warping.

  3. #23
    The Geeky Pilot bhursey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Oakwood GA
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by Snarls View Post
    If you are really set on getting the Maker Select v2 (same as Hyperion Ft sells and Wanhao i3) you could always settle for printing PLA with no heated bed for the time being. Personally I rarely use my heated bed because I don't print with ABS and I usually print small parts which have a low risk of warping.
    The maker select though has a heated bed . What do you mean you mean the over heating board problem? On most of the printers out there.
    Just call me Brian.. AMA: 688510 : Flying since 1998 took a 12 year hiatus 2003-2015 : Hanger :FT Arrow FPV "Scrach", FT Tiny Trainer "Speed Build", FT Scout "Scratch" , Old school balsa trainer from the 90s, Old School Hotliner Glider from the 90s. , FPV Vapor.

  4. #24
    French's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    508
    I think he means that ABS has a tendency to curl and lift off the bed. I generally print in PLA or TPU. I rarely use my heated bed feature, I much prefer to print on glass with glue stick.

  5. #25
    Posted a thousand or more times jhitesma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Yuma, AZ
    Posts
    4,400
    I've only printed without the heated bed a few times and wasn't happy with it. Even with PLA and gluestick or hairspray and/or blue tape I had warping and bed adhesion issues. Though admittedly that was on my first roll of PLA which I later determined wasn't very high quality as while it printed beautifully - it didn't like to stick to much of anything.

    But it got me in the habit and I've stuck with it. I like how printed PLA on a heated bed means the print self-releases when the bed cools. I still usually use hairspray and on some prints that are more prone to warping I'll use glue stick. PLA doesn't warp often but on some prints it can still be a major nuisance.

    Lately I've actually been back to blue tape which I'm really not a fan of, I don't like the texture it leaves on the prints. But..I swapped to an aluminum bed to see if it would work better with my inductive sensor and stiffen things up a bit more. It is stiffer...and it does hold level better than my stock Folger setup....but...it actually works worse with the inductive sensor than a few layers of HD aluminum foil under my glass - which surprised me. So I'll probably be taking it out at some point - but for now it's working and I'm not in a big rush to change it.
    Stop in and say hi in the unofficial FT IRC channel!

  6. #26
    Gravity Tester Snarls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by bhursey View Post
    The maker select though has a heated bed . What do you mean you mean the over heating board problem? On most of the printers out there.
    While you wait for the mosfet upgrade you can disable the heated bed in your slicer. Without it you can still get away with printing most PLA and TPU parts.

  7. #27
    FT CAD Gremlin SP0NZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,340
    I bought the Anet A8 back in December. It is my first personal 3D printer. I have used the MakerBot Replicator v2 at a previous employer for a few months. Prior to purchasing the A8, that was my only experience with 3D printing. What I'm trying to say is, I'm a noob. That said, I will add my opinion to this thread on the Anet A8.

    At the price point (I got mine for under $200 shipped), I am more than happy with it. It does have issues! I've printed about 4 1 Kg spools of PLA with it so far, including 1 1/2 3D LabPrint planes. I found the build experience to be very fun and rewarding. Very similar to getting into the RC hobby through FliteTest. Had it not been for the low cost of entry, I probably would not have a 3D printer yet. The print quality I found to be as good or better than the MakerBot we had at work.

    There are plenty of mods that you can print to add to the printer, as well as a good sized user base that can answer your questions.

    Now the bad. The connector for the heat bed is bad. Do yourself a favor, and learn from mine and many others mistake. Cut that crap connector off and solder the wires directly to the heat bed. I ran my printer happily for about 4 months before mine had a melt down, shorting the positive lead and one of the signal wires, and frying my main board. Unfortunately for me, I didn't know it was the connector at the time. I replaced the main board (thinking that was the problem) and proceeded to smoke a second main board. Once I properly diagnosed the problem, I soldered the wires to the bed and replaced the main board again. Now everything is working fine again. I've also added 2 MOSFETs for the heat bed and thermistor which are highly recommended mods to do ASAP.
    -Dan Sponholz

    SPONZ - Plans Index

    Designs
    : Bloody Baron | Baby Baron | Baby Brit | Ugly Wonder | Bloody Wonder MkIII

    Coming Soon: Intruder | Bloody Brit

  8. #28
    The Geeky Pilot bhursey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Oakwood GA
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by SP0NZ View Post
    I bought the Anet A8 back in December. It is my first personal 3D printer. I have used the MakerBot Replicator v2 at a previous employer for a few months. Prior to purchasing the A8, that was my only experience with 3D printing. What I'm trying to say is, I'm a noob. That said, I will add my opinion to this thread on the Anet A8.

    At the price point (I got mine for under $200 shipped), I am more than happy with it. It does have issues! I've printed about 4 1 Kg spools of PLA with it so far, including 1 1/2 3D LabPrint planes. I found the build experience to be very fun and rewarding. Very similar to getting into the RC hobby through FliteTest. Had it not been for the low cost of entry, I probably would not have a 3D printer yet. The print quality I found to be as good or better than the MakerBot we had at work.

    There are plenty of mods that you can print to add to the printer, as well as a good sized user base that can answer your questions.

    Now the bad. The connector for the heat bed is bad. Do yourself a favor, and learn from mine and many others mistake. Cut that crap connector off and solder the wires directly to the heat bed. I ran my printer happily for about 4 months before mine had a melt down, shorting the positive lead and one of the signal wires, and frying my main board. Unfortunately for me, I didn't know it was the connector at the time. I replaced the main board (thinking that was the problem) and proceeded to smoke a second main board. Once I properly diagnosed the problem, I soldered the wires to the bed and replaced the main board again. Now everything is working fine again. I've also added 2 MOSFETs for the heat bed and thermistor which are highly recommended mods to do ASAP.

    Thanks.. Yah A8 is still on the table. However my wife was like just save some more $ and get an already assembled one although the Maker Select v2 still has the issue where they decided to do the heating bed through the main board. I wonder if the mosfet would void the 1 year warranty :/ Without it im thinking fire hazard majorly. I can get a Maker Select v2 refurbished for only 249.. or new 299.
    Just call me Brian.. AMA: 688510 : Flying since 1998 took a 12 year hiatus 2003-2015 : Hanger :FT Arrow FPV "Scrach", FT Tiny Trainer "Speed Build", FT Scout "Scratch" , Old school balsa trainer from the 90s, Old School Hotliner Glider from the 90s. , FPV Vapor.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •