Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    Bushwacker Pilot
    Glad to see my window design getting some good use! Nice builds guys!

Still Learning
    Nice landing. I was afraid the fence was gonna get ya.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by TooJung2Die View Post
    Wow, Gazoo, that's a very nice looking Cubby. I think you can't go wrong with a bigger motor. You don't have to use all of it.
    Thanks. I'm pretty sure I had a ski jacket in the '70s with those same colors.

Mine flew nose heavy. I pushed the battery as far back as possible until it bumps against the landing gear tab. It can stand a little tail weight so maybe a steerable tail wheel is in order.

I thought I saw someplace where someone dropped a C-pack or equivalent in a Simple Cub. I'm thinking that the nose weight would be a little much. Even with the slightly larger motor that I'm using, it is a bit nose heavy. Has anyone used a bigger motor? Please report.
    78% of the facts that I make up are loosely based on a guess...

Bushwacker Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
    Thanks. I'm pretty sure I had a ski jacket in the '70s with those same colors.

Mine flew nose heavy. I pushed the battery as far back as possible until it bumps against the landing gear tab. It can stand a little tail weight so maybe a steerable tail wheel is in order.

I thought I saw someplace where someone dropped a C-pack or equivalent in a Simple Cub. I'm thinking that the nose weight would be a little much. Even with the slightly larger motor that I'm using, it is a bit nose heavy. Has anyone used a bigger motor? Please report.
    I use the standard C pack, a Emax GT2215, 30a esc, with a 1500mah 3S lipo and the CG is dead center. I push the battery back against the landing gear block as well. I have a 3s 2200 lipo I'm gonna try on my next flight out. I think the 2200 will help balance the floats a little better.

My Turn

Came home from FFE17 with a FT Simple Cub.

Weather permitting I'll get to fly it this weekend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5397.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	442.1 KB 
ID:	94432Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5477.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	486.1 KB 
ID:	94433
    Andre Rousseau - andre@flitetest.com
    2017 Flite Fest Volunteer Coordinator
    http://flitefest.com/volunteer/

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Came home from FFE17 with a FT Simple Cub.

Weather permitting I'll get to fly it this weekend.

Name:	IMG_5397.JPG 
Size:	442.1 KB 
ID:	94432Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5477.JPG 
Size:	486.1 KB 
ID:	94433
    Oh man...those bigger wheels on it make the Simple Cub look so much like the Timber that my dad keeps wanting. He's been seeing one of the instructors fly it and roll it down the runway on one wheel, flip it around, do hammerhead stalls with it, etc.

If I show him THIS, he's gonna be buying a Simple Cub for sure. It'd certainly be cheaper!! LOL
    Hangar:

Blade Conspiracy 220, Inductrix Pro, Blade Glimpse, FT Sea Duck, FT Duster, FT MiG-3

Workbench:

Possible Crimson Skies plane? We'll see!!

The Simple Cub is fantastic! It's the first plane I was able to fly for an entire battery (2200 mAh, 3S). I'm not a very good pilot, flying once or twice a month for the past year but recently I found a neighbor's field to fly in. This field is on the top of the mountain and is usually a little gusty. The wind forecast was for 2 mph winds, however when I got there it had sustained gusts to 10-15 mph. Since I was there with fully charged batteries I thought "What the heck, I'll fly anyway." The Cub did well until the motor cut out but I was able to bring it in for a landing. It only felt like it was flying for 4-5 minutes but all that time I was battling the wind and was unable to trim the plane. I was able to get the Storch in the air but it couldn't make any headway into the wind. Things are looking up, I'm getting my cataracts taken care of so I can fly higher than one mistake high. Sorry for the rambling, I'm just so excited to finally get a full flight in.

Jim

Well for quite a while now I've had plans for a modified simple cub,

it's the same as the regular simple cub, but with different wing and tail feather profiles, it has bigger control surfaces, no dihedral, equipped with flaps, and renamed the FT Simple STOL.

so you'd build it like the original version, but forget the dihedral, crank the throws up, have the flaps deploy down ~80 degrees, and put much bigger wheels on. so it would fly like a Tundra, Timber, Bushwacker etc.

FT Simple STOL Page 1.pdf

FT Simple STOL Page 2.pdf

FT Simple STOL Page 3.pdf

EDIT
    I forgot to mention that this has never been built or flown so anyone building this would be building a beta version, and if any one does choose to build one could you let me know how it goes?
    Last edited by Grifflyer; 09-09-2017 at 01:14 PM.
    Always remember this when you are struggling with something, "It is possible.....just not in a way you know yet".
    check out my Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtx...o5Z9_6b-uVZpgQ

designs Bell P-39
    building D.520|Grumman XF5F|Grumman F-9

Well, I built a set of floats but decided the pond in my neighborhood wasn't going to be big enough for my abilities. The floats turned into a hull for a nice airboat. So, while not a cub, is made of cub parts.

Name:	IMG_8086.jpg 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	94539

The hope was that by steering it using differential thrust, it would work better than the other better.

Name:	IMG_8087.jpg 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	94540

Unfortunately, the way I mounted the motors wasn't quite up to snuff. It picked up some serious speed when it stood up on the step. All steering was lost at that point though. One of the mounts blew off due to vibration I am guessing. I will convert it over to a pusher setup and weld the wire together. My son pushed me back to shore.

Name:	IMG_8088.jpg 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	94541

Name:	IMG2.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	94664
    Here is my attempt at the FT Simple Cub. Fairly easy build and things went together well.
    I noticed others complaining about the back of the wing folding and added some 3-D printed braces hot glued in place in the problem area. Seems to be holding up well and that part of the wing is very solid now. Also, I added some rubber band protection in the form of C-shaped pieces that cover the back edge of the wing.

Name:	IMG1.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	94665

Using a B-pack like motor (A2212/13t 1000kv) and a 9x4.7 slow fly prop the plane felt slightly under-powered. It needed about 75-80% throttle for level flight. Maybe I've been over-sizing motors on my other models but I like about 50% for level flight so I have lots of extra power in the bank. I went up to the 10x4.7 slow fly and it's crusing at 60% which I like a lot better.
    That big slow fly prop sound so cool doing a low pass!

Thingiverse links for the 3D printer parts-

Rubber band guard:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2549633

Wing support:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2549599

Tail skid:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2549618
    Last edited by jjohnson98; 10-03-2017 at 06:09 AM.

Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast