Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Our First Flights (We got in the Newspaper!)

My Dad and I have been watching FliteTest for several years now and we finally took the plunge at Flite Fest East which luckily lined up with our trip to visit family. We got the FT Simple Cub and the DX6e transmitter along with the various other things you need to fly. Being our first plane, we wanted to build it somewhere where we could get help and FF was perfect. We found some very friendly people in the build tent that we sat next to who had experience building. It took us 6 hours (package said 2 hours) for my Dad and I to get the cub together. It was okay though because we had alot of fun building and learning along the way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170713_182709438.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	90983

We finally finished our new plane and found someone who also had a simple cub to maiden it for us since we had no flight experience and we only had our spectator passes. We upgraded and took our first flights. Two broken props later with only about 20 min of flight time it was time to leave FF. (we were only there Thursday) We both couldn't wait for our new props to arrive from amazon so we could fly again. When we finally got them we went to a park near my grandmas house and flew. Walking out to a field we caught the attention of a newspaper reporter eating lunch. He took some pictures while we were flying and put them in the Columbus Dispatch (7/18/17). My Dad and I both flew a lot, crashed a lot and had a blast!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2p.jpg 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	90979Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1p.jpg 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	90980
    Photo Credit: Columbus Dispatch

Name:	tape.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	90981

We forgot to bring tape so we used Flite Test stickers to repair the plane

Name:	3p.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	90982
    Columbus Dispatch 7/18/17
    CAPTION: Michael Maddux, from Whidbey Island, north of Seattle, puts a remote controlled Piper Cub airplane into the sky while his father, Brian controls it at Scioto Audubon Park on Monday. It was the first time the two had the plane in the air. The Maddux's are in Columbus this week to visit family.

Now how awesome is that. You can't beat that for making memories for sure AND it is officially documented.
    BILLS LAW: Bills Law specifically states that it covers ANYTHING that Murphy may have forgot, omitted, or plain didn't know in the first place. There fore if it can happen it WILL happen to ME.

Psyborg FPV You Tube channel.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC88...L6-KC9qTa2LgVA

Building Fool-Flying Noob FoamyDM's Avatar
    What a great first experience. Continue having fun.!
    FTFC'18 WWII - Team ALLIED FORCES PAGE

FTFC'18 WWII Projects (Join Us!): Kalinin K-12 | SAM-7 "Sigma" | LPL Flying Sub

Personal:VF-9 (Robotech), FLITE TEST CARD GAME, Anime X1, Getting my Gremlin(s) Up.

Now that is indeed very cool.

PS: Flying is allowed at the park, right? Not that you get in trouble now... :-)

Well done! Mazeltov!

This is awesome! Congratulations on your "First (in)-flight"!

JG

Great entry into the hobby, the news, the forums, and the Flite Test family. Welcome!
    -Dan Sponholz

SPONZ - Plans Index

Designs
    : Bloody Baron | Baby Baron | Baby Brit | Ugly Wonder | Bloody Wonder MkIII

Coming Soon: Intruder | Bloody Brit

TheStig has been ELEV8ed! ELEV8 RC's Avatar
    Wow, how cool! Welcome to the forums!
    "Fly as if every Lipo were your last..."

-Flying
    •Carbon Z Cub **FOR SALE**

-Workbench
    •30" Mighty Mini P-61 Black Widow
    •KISS Armattan Chameleon
    •RaceFlight XHover Win5

-Dead
    •Giant 120" P-61 Black Widow •Champ •Super Cub LP •BlitzRCWorks SkySurfer •Foamy F-15 •2x FT Guinea Pigs •FT Bushwacker • FT Sea Duck •FT Mustang •FT Spear •2x FT Arrow

Very nice!!! Welcome to the forums!!!

Great experience for your first FTFF and RC flying in general. Welcome to the family!

Mike Finley
    FT Community Podcast Co-host
    My Hanger: DX9, Carbon Z Cub, PZ T28 BnF, PZ Supercub, PZ SE5a BnF, Nitroplanes AirField 1430mm F4U Corsair, Electrifly Seawind EP, PZ-Micro P51, PZ Micro F4U Corsiar, EFlite Micro EmberII, Micro Gee Bee, EFlite Hawker Hurricane 25e, Icon A5 BNF, GWS J3 Cub, Blade SR UH-1 Huey, FT Duster, Bloody Wonder, 3DHS 51" AJ Slick Edge 540, Seagull 63" Edge 540 Nitro, Radian, Micro Radian, Sukhio SU29, ElectroHub Spyder, 350 QX3 Quaptor.

Michael,

What an experience! There is so much I enjoy about this. And now all the great experiences you've gained from this you can help others to enjoy. Actually it's already begun with the newspaper article and you sharing it all here.

Having been in the Navy I know Whidbey and suspect you've had some exposure the military aircraft in the area. I've enjoyed my trips there. Do you have others in the area also interested in the hobby or any you think might like sharing the fun? I'm glad you made it to FFE. I was there too. It was my first time making it there, finally.

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing more of you and your father's fun.
    —Jim
    Truths in life:
    1) Everything that happens happens for a reason. Luck does not exist.
    2) In this existence we are part of the problem or part of the solution. The choice is ours.
    3) We aren't defined by our circumstances but by our reactions to them. Crisis reveals character.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast