Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Lowrider CNC

Quote Originally Posted by jhitesma View Post
    Neat mobeast. Just a few thoughts....

For a dedicated foam cutter you only need about 10mm of Z. And only really need to lift the cutter...so maybe instead of a screw mechanism it would be worth considering something servo activated. May need a few gears or some linkages to get enough travel out of a servo but could be a way to use parts people interested in cutting foam would already have on hand and eliminate the weight/cost of an additional stepper.

I like where you're going with the carriage as well, but wonder if maybe the cutter could be incorporated into the design more...could make it tricky to print so would still have to be multiple parts...but just thinking it would look slick to have a cutter/carriage that look integrated instead of tacked together.

I'm still trying to think of a good "printer style" Y mechanism so the machine could be build smaller. Was also thinking at that size it may be possible to get away with 1/2" EMT or some smaller square stock for the X instead of 3/4" emt just to help make things even more compact.
    I thought of the servo idea,and I like it, but I would need help with the firmware to change the z commands to a pwm signal. It is probably simple. I have seen them used on diy plotters.

As for integration of the cutter into the carriage, it should be trivial to add it on to one of the bearing pieces and still be printable. Combining it all in one will be more of a challenge, but I'll give it a try.

Going down to 1/2" tube wouldn't save much space unless we used smaller bearings as well. It is worth looking into.

Here is the more compact version. It needs a esc mount and a way to attach the belts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small Low Rider.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	92961

Posted a thousand or more times jhitesma's Avatar
    That's a neat looking setup, and still printable! But would still require the low rider style Z.

I've been thinking about this all day...and the more I think about it the more I like the idea of only moving the cutter and not the whole X axis for Z. It could really simplify things a lot and eliminate 2 steppers and leadscrews. Even if moving the cutter still used a screw it could be done with a cheap bit of all thread and a much smaller cheaper stepper since it's so light.

I was wandering the aisles of the big box hardware stores today trying to get inspired. Saw a couple of low cost towel bars that were almost perfect for an X axis...but not quite long enough

I just keep thinking that if the idea is only to cut foam then the machine can be built much lighter/cheaper since there's so much less weight on the Z and very little force while cutting.

Ryan (allted/mpcnc designer) is working on a new core-xy setup for a sand table that uses a lot fewer parts since it's designed to be light and simple instead of capable of machining. But the needle cutter is so low force I wonder if it could run on one of those. djk4linux already has the parts printed for one so maybe we'll find out soon There's no Z on that setup...but...something can always be rigged.

Dealing with a servo...could be done with a Gcode post-processor...or maybe a change in the CAM software...changing the firmware would be the hardest option but also possible.

Just finished printing the last wheel for my low-rider! Gotta to assemble them and see how the second half rolls. Wish I had some tubes now so I could fully assemble it and try pushing it around
    Stop in and say hi in the unofficial FT IRC channel!

That's a neat looking setup, and still printable! But would still require the low rider style Z.

I've been thinking about this all day...and the more I think about it the more I like the idea of only moving the cutter and not the whole X axis for Z. It could really simplify things a lot and eliminate 2 steppers and leadscrews. Even if moving the cutter still used a screw it could be done with a cheap bit of all thread and a much smaller cheaper stepper since it's so light.

I was wandering the aisles of the big box hardware stores today trying to get inspired. Saw a couple of low cost towel bars that were almost perfect for an X axis...but not quite long enough

I just keep thinking that if the idea is only to cut foam then the machine can be built much lighter/cheaper since there's so much less weight on the Z and very little force while cutting.

Ryan (allted/mpcnc designer) is working on a new core-xy setup for a sand table that uses a lot fewer parts since it's designed to be light and simple instead of capable of machining. But the needle cutter is so low force I wonder if it could run on one of those. djk4linux already has the parts printed for one so maybe we'll find out soon There's no Z on that setup...but...something can always be rigged.

Dealing with a servo...could be done with a Gcode post-processor...or maybe a change in the CAM software...changing the firmware would be the hardest option but also possible.

Just finished printing the last wheel for my low-rider! Gotta to assemble them and see how the second half rolls. Wish I had some tubes now so I could fully assemble it and try pushing it around
    I'm really interested in what you two are doing with this... and I really like the carriage design, Mark. But I'm also interested in a light-weight Z-axis like Jason describes. Here's what Ryan's ZenXY looks like right now

Name:	lrgb.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	952.7 KB 
ID:	92964

Like the Low-rider, there is a horizontal twin-rail gantry... but without any Z lift mechanism, as Jason mentioned. The rails could be spread apart to utilize a large enough carriage to carry a laser/needle-cutter/drag-knife/etc -- like Mark's idea -- but I really think it also needs a real Z-axis of some sort. The ZenXY is initially designed to hang underneath the work surface (it carries a strong magnet below a sandbox, dragging a steel ball bearing around in a layer of sand) and I'm interested in using it in the more conventional above the work surface configuration. The ZenXY gantry also simply rides on top of the outer rails, without any bearings below to "enclose" the rail, and depends on gravity to keep it in place.

I think Ryan has plans to eventually make the ZenXY design adaptable to other applications (laser, needle-cutter, plotter, etc) but right now the emphasis is on getting the sandbox art application finished. He's understandably a pretty busy guy and spread pretty thin for time... so I don't think he'll be modifying the ZenXY design for other applications anytime in the near future. -- David
    Last edited by dkj4linux; 08-13-2017 at 04:44 AM.

I am trying to use the components from my Turnigy Fabricator to build this machine, so I only have four steppers. One of them has a shaft on both sides, so I could try and set up a single stepper for the X axis. I also want to keep the extruder intact to mount on my MPCNC, so I will shoot for three.

I think the Z on the carriage would be better, so the modelling I did today will count as learning. A high quality servo costs about the same as a cheap stepper, so I don't think I'll go that route. I think a printed rack and pinion might serve. The trick is to get the stepper and the cutter to fit in the same vertical area. I would like to be able to use a 32" door as a table.

I did learn to use "Joints" in Fusion360 tonight.

Name:	Small Low Rider.jpg 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	92971

I've decided that my MPCNC-imspired CoreXY machine -- that I've already built, tested, and demoed -- will make a better testbed for the horizontal two-rail gantry system than the ZenXY machine.

Name:	20170609_140836 (1).jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	92983

I've spent a couple of hours this morning in Onshape, designing a gantry-rail end to replace the 4 silver uprights and convert the current vertical (over-under) configuration to horizontal (side-by-side). I'm printing the first piece now to fit-check and once the rails are are in place I'll start looking at a carriage design similar to that Mark showed yesterday. A major consideration for the carriage in a corexy design is termination of the 4 belt ends... which I found quite tricky from before.

I'll probably document this conversion effort in the thread I've already got going (http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...laser-engraver) but I'll of course be keeping an eagle-eye on what you guys are up to over here. -- David

Posted a thousand or more times jhitesma's Avatar
    That over/under actually seems to make more sense to me than side by side for a foam cutter. It would give more usable work area for the same size machine I would think. That combined with a sheet feed system could give a very compact machine for foam cutting.
    Stop in and say hi in the unofficial FT IRC channel!

That over/under actually seems to make more sense to me than side by side for a foam cutter. It would give more usable work area for the same size machine I would think. That combined with a sheet feed system could give a very compact machine for foam cutting.
    It does make a lot of sense... and I did come to that conclusion when I rebuilt that wimpy little Makeblock system as a laser engraver...

Name:	20170813_163323.jpg 
Size:	972.9 KB 
ID:	92994

Name:	20170813_162612.jpg 
Size:	1,023.2 KB 
ID:	92993

Of course, the tall laser housing and no Z-axis requirement lent itself to the idea of a more upright gantry. And light as it is, that little machine has the same 2' x 2' footprint as the larger and much heavier CoreXY machine I'm converting.

I'm really just wanting to give the larger machine a lower profile and lighter gantry. The conduit and printed parts construction of MPCNC seems very heavy/clunky at this smaller size but of course it really shines at the larger sizes suitable for cutting full sheets of foam. But the CoreXY scheme -- I'm afraid -- doesn't really scale all that well. How much/little... who knows?

I guess I just need to play with it and see for myself... I'm curious. Besides, it keeps me off the streets...

Here is where I got to today. I think this is going to work with simple X-plates. It needs a couple details before I print one, and I haven't re-designed the cutter attachment yet. It just needs four bearings to ride the rails, and an extension out the back of the bottom to hold a nut.
    I should also add nuts and bolts to check for clearances.

Name:	compact.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	93012

I really like the look of this - but it seems the distance between the rails is smaller than the stock Lowrider design too, right? That'll mean a redesign of the all the other parts as well...
    I want YOU to join us in the 2018 Flite Test Forum WWII Design/Build Challenge!

My hanger listing, build threads, conversion projects, and Taranis radio mods are Over Here....

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast