Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FT Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Lee View Post
    Without fitting any FPV gear you will definitely need to add weight. A larger battery can help but even then a little weight in the very nose will be required.

Just my experience

Have fun!
    This is why I asked. What for weight? Roll of quarters?

Old and Bold RC PILOT
    I do not use quarters. Why would I add a monetary gift to those who might find and keep a fly away! (Never had a fly away by the way).

I have a large range of old tyre balance weights which seem to be forever falling of the wheels of cars and trucks that use the local streets.

As for the weight I just grab a small handful of weights and keep adding until I achieve balance. When I decide to add weight the amount does not really matter because adding weight is of course a last resort to make the plane balance. Additionally the FB I use is heavier than the FBs used by most others so the vlue of such information is low. I have never measured additional ballast weight

Have fun!
    Hopefully making a difference!

The tail is adjustable. You can slide it in further, that should help relieve some of the tail heaviness of it.
    I use a 3S 2800mah battery in my Explorer and I have no balance issues at all. Could be the bigger battery is helping that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow929 View Post
    The tail is adjustable. You can slide it in further, that should help relieve some of the tail heaviness of it.
    I use a 3S 2800mah battery in my Explorer and I have no balance issues at all. Could be the bigger battery is helping that issue.
    Well, I did add tons of weight to the front and looked at the possibility of shortening the boom. Is there a point where it can get too short?

I cut the tail about 6 inches, just as he said, which decreased weight, but I also extended the nose section 4 inches, which could be great, because it gives much more space to work with. This helps maintain the great flight characteristics of the plane. Good Luck!
    "Any landing you can walk away from is a good one. Any landing that the airplane can be used once again is a great one."

I am going to revisit is this weekend. I decided that for weight I will use an old Barbie doll that I got years ago that hang from my Jeep's whip antenna. She is quite heavy and will look cool sitting on the front of the plane.

The reason I went this route is because the hamster wouldn't sit still. He crawled all over the place. Before you scream "Animal cruelty", I made him a helmet and a parachute.

Old and Bold RC PILOT
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I am going to revisit is this weekend. I decided that for weight I will use an old Barbie doll that I got years ago that hang from my Jeep's whip antenna. She is quite heavy and will look cool sitting on the front of the plane.

The reason I went this route is because the hamster wouldn't sit still. He crawled all over the place. Before you scream "Animal cruelty", I made him a helmet and a parachute.
    I love the imagery and the sense of humour!

Have a great flight!

Have fun!
    Hopefully making a difference!

I finally got it up today and my Wife was happy to see it. THE PLANE PEOPLE!.

I went with a very large(2000mah) 3s battery and that did the trick. I just need to build a new nose and it will be pretty once again.

I did notice one thing. It would go right much tighter than it went left. The throws are identical, so I assume my wing is causing the issue.

Oh, and the new B pack replacement motor is not even close to the older motor. I find that all of the planes I used to have the CF2822 in are under powered and my Old Fogey can't even get of the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I finally got it up today and my Wife was happy to see it. THE PLANE PEOPLE!.
    Hahaha, that made me nearly spit my coffee out!

Glad to hear you got her in the air. The speed of the roll will differ from left to right because of the motor torque/counter torque. That may be what you're experiencing.
    I've gotten very good at making noses , but luckily the rest of the plane is very resilient!

Be Careful with dives and pulling up too hard. I've had my wings fold. I strongly suggest reinforcing the wings on the Explorer

I've hot glued bbq sick to the top surface of the wing out past the rubber bands (after assembly and crashing ) and they still fly just great!!

Good luck and have fun.

jay

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast