Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Hi,
    I can solve the mystery of the kits origin. It looks to be a Proctor Antic. I built one years ago. Great flying plane!

http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/p...tor_antics.htm

Enjoy! Nice restoration.

Mike
    I'm an Engineer. That means I do precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by mjmccarron View Post
    Hi,
    I can solve the mystery of the kits origin. It looks to be a Proctor Antic. I built one years ago. Great flying plane!

http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/p...tor_antics.htm

Enjoy! Nice restoration.

Mike
    THANK YOU!!!

I'm looking forward to getting it into the air - and now have a another kit manufacturer to look into as well!
    I want YOU to join us in the 2018 Flite Test Forum WWII Design/Build Challenge!

My hanger listing, build threads, conversion projects, and Taranis radio mods are Over Here....

If this is an antic, whoever built it must've been trying to duplicate some specific historical aircraft. I don't see any other reason they would've changed the cross bracing in the fuselage or the shape of the elevator (and rudder by relation.) I love watching these restoration threads. Keep it up Rockyboy.
    Hangar: Hobbyzone Champ, FT Speedster (modified), Versa-spear(custom), FT Scout, FT Simple Soarer, Cafe Air Racer Mk II, , Eachine H8 mini quad, ZMR 250 quad.
    Workbench: 92" Spirit of St. Louis, Cafe Air Racer Mk III, Progressive Aerodyne Searey
    Deceased: Cafe air racer Mk I, flying wing built from crashed air racer, FT Flyer, Bluntnose Versa, Guillows FF P-51D, Curtiss Jenny

"Who wants to life a life imprisoned in safety?" Amelia Erhart (from the movie, Amelia)

Quote Originally Posted by Tench745 View Post
    If this is an antic, whoever built it must've been trying to duplicate some specific historical aircraft. I don't see any other reason they would've changed the cross bracing in the fuselage or the shape of the elevator (and rudder by relation.) I love watching these restoration threads. Keep it up Rockyboy.
    I spent a while looking through the Antic pictures and am pretty sure it's the Antic mono wing - the wing saddle and turtle deck match, as does the fuselage shape, and those are sort of difficult to mod foundational parts of the airframe.

The cross bracing is glued in all willy-nilly without any specific attention to being symetrical - which drives me a bit nuts honestly. very rarely is the spacing identical from one side to the other, and the top and bottom aren't even trying to be the same pattern.

I did see a couple pictures with different empanage shapes in the Antic photo archives, including a couple with the same cutouts for movement clearance but different outer edges - but very little info on what craft they were being modeled on.

I think I've found the cowling look I want to build on this too - assuming it flies well and I want to keep it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skessinger065w.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	100605

Haven't seen any head-on shots of this one, but I like the look and think I can replicate it with small cardboard tubes, balsa bits, and wires for the engine rather than complicated 3D modeling and printing.

My hanger listing, build threads, conversion projects, and Taranis radio mods are Over Here....

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBorg View Post
    So how much you gonna charge the parents at FFE to take the kiddies up in this?

Gotta recoup the hobby money some how right?
    I think there's better money to be made in charging them for either the kiddies safe return, or drop off a long ways away

And I wish I had the room to bring this to Flite Fest. Need to either rent or get a buddy with a trailer though. This pretty much fills up my car by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by rockyboy View Post
    I think I've found the cowling look I want to build on this too - assuming it flies well and I want to keep it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skessinger065w.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	100605

Haven't seen any head-on shots of this one, but I like the look and think I can replicate it with small cardboard tubes, balsa bits, and wires for the engine rather than complicated 3D modeling and printing.
    That engine looks like a Curtiss OX-5 and the louvered side panels like those on the side of a Jenny's cowl.
    Hangar: Hobbyzone Champ, FT Speedster (modified), Versa-spear(custom), FT Scout, FT Simple Soarer, Cafe Air Racer Mk II, , Eachine H8 mini quad, ZMR 250 quad.
    Workbench: 92" Spirit of St. Louis, Cafe Air Racer Mk III, Progressive Aerodyne Searey
    Deceased: Cafe air racer Mk I, flying wing built from crashed air racer, FT Flyer, Bluntnose Versa, Guillows FF P-51D, Curtiss Jenny

"Who wants to life a life imprisoned in safety?" Amelia Erhart (from the movie, Amelia)

Quote Originally Posted by Tench745 View Post
    That engine looks like a Curtiss OX-5 and the louvered side panels like those on the side of a Jenny's cowl.
    I love this community! It would have taken me days of digging to figure that out - thank you!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4