Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Builder Extraordinare willsonman's Avatar
    Well, here we are again.

I got the shop table cleared off so that I could create my sheets of balsa. Quite a bit of time was spent blending the leading and trailing edges to the ribs. The curves in the bends were the trouble spots as you want to make them even but you cannot really use a sanding bar. like a traditional flat wing. The skins are made from 4 planks of 3"x24" that are glued end-to-end. They are then sanded flat with a bar sander. Skins are cut with 3/16" overage and dry fitted to make final fitting cuts. I tack glued them into place with thin CA and followed up with a cotton swab and wood glue. I use this method as a means to push the glue into spots without using too much to save a bit of weight. The tips are separate pieces on the bottom.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5518.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	100378

Name:	IMG_5516.JPG 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	100377

Next up will be the top of these areas as one sheet. Before I do that, I need to use a #11 blade to cut holes for the servo hatches. I will glue in a ply plate from the inside, or at least corners, for the hatch to screw into. This is one extra step that is NOT in the plans as they call for a bell crank system. This will take a bit of time since I will need to make the hole and make sure I can remove the servo and mounting plate... then cut overage for the ply plate. Once one is done, the other will be a mirror image.
    "It'll fly... probably"

Current active build:
    Top Flite 60 size F4U Corsair
    Shameless YouTube plug
    Shameless shop plug

Wow, looking very cool. I thought my wing was a hard project, fully sheeting your wing looks challenging.
    Too many airplanes and not enough time...

Its really not that hard.

If you can cut a piece of foam from a large piece of foam, then glue it to another piece of foam... you can...

cut a piece of balsa from a large piece of balsa, then glue it to another piece of balsa.

"It'll fly... probably"

Current active build:
    Shameless YouTube plug
    Shameless shop plug

Maneuvering With Purpose SlingShot's Avatar
    It's gonna be nice. Perfect for a buddy box!

I'm going to have to get my Mini Corsair together in tribute.
    Active Hanger: FT Simple Soarer, FT Mini Cruiser, FT Mini Arrow, FT Mini Mustang, FT Mustang.
    Under construction: Simple Cubs. On Deck: B-25 SS

The Corsair is on my top ten list probably top five if I think about it. Gonna be so nice to see this baby in person at FFE (if you plan to bring it hopefully) Now that you are starting to covering process have you thought about the colors squadron markings or anything like that or is it too soon to think that far yet?

Setting my lack of fixed wing piloting skills aside I would love to do a balsa build if I had the room. Barely enough room for my quad stock pile of parts and stuff in this little mouse size apartment though so that will sit in the "One day" pile still.
    BILLS LAW: Bills Law specifically states that it covers ANYTHING that Murphy may have forgot, omitted, or plain didn't know in the first place. There fore if it can happen it WILL happen to ME.

Psyborg FPV You Tube channel.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC88...L6-KC9qTa2LgVA

I have thought about markings a bit. I'm leaning toward a Marines unit. Mostly because it will make the paint and marking s easier AND by keeping the paint simple, it will help the details, line panel lines and rivets, stand out. In all honesty, I've had the original parkzone corsair and orientation is pretty easy to keep with the silhouette this thing makes. So colors on the top and bottom will not make much difference for me.

An yes, I have every intention of bringing this to FFE this year.

Moving along...

I did get the aileron servo hatches done. The hatches are balsa scrap from the skinning process and some light ply was used as a support for it.

Name:	IMG_5528.JPG 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	100410

Name:	IMG_5527.JPG 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	100409

I also installed the pitot tube and sensor for air speed.

Name:	IMG_5522.JPG 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	100411

The port side top wing skin is curing out currently and I hope to get the starboard side done before the end of the day.
    "It'll fly... probably"

Current active build:
    Shameless YouTube plug
    Shameless shop plug

Last update for the day...

So the top skins I used a combination of CA and my default... gorilla glue. I put the GG on the spar and inner ribs while leaving the outer ribs, LE, and TE bare for CA. I positioned the cut skin over the wing and slightly adjusted until happy. I glued the root rib and then the tip rib. The LE and TE were then glued and the whole thing was laid out with sand bags for curing. This is MUCH faster than using wood glue and worked amazingly well.

Name:	IMG_5530.JPG 
Size:	869.2 KB 
ID:	100433

Here is a completed outer panel.

Name:	IMG_5529.JPG 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	100434

After it was all dry, I used my razor planer to get rid of the excess on the leading and trailing edges. The #11 blade and sanding bar too care of the ends. I still need to clean up the root rib a bit as the top gets the sheeting before the bottom on the inner panels.

Name:	IMG_5531.JPG 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	100435
    "It'll fly... probably"

Current active build:
    Shameless YouTube plug
    Shameless shop plug

Ahh. Was wondering if maybe you might be going with the silver n black or the all black and not traditional Pappy scheme.

Do you have to treat the sheets at all to form them or is just working with the wood grain in the proper direction enough to shape this type wing enough? I know before you guys had talked about spraying wood with water and ammonia I think it was or am I confusing film covering with the wood methods?
    BILLS LAW: Bills Law specifically states that it covers ANYTHING that Murphy may have forgot, omitted, or plain didn't know in the first place. There fore if it can happen it WILL happen to ME.

Psyborg FPV You Tube channel.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC88...L6-KC9qTa2LgVA

Yeah, so these parts it is all about working with the grain. It is honestly the same as working with foam board... it has a grain too. The center sections are the difficult bits where you use the wood grain at a 45-degree bias as well as wet it out to conform to the compound curve. Exciting stuff ahead.
    "It'll fly... probably"

Current active build:
    Shameless YouTube plug
    Shameless shop plug

More progress. Not as much as I would have liked but still good progress to keep me motivated.

Just follow the instructions... one piece at a time. Believe it or not, this was the HARDEST piece to trim right. One side soaked with water on a paper towel and the dry side is glued in place. Worked perfectly.

Name:	IMG_5535.JPG 
Size:	762.9 KB 
ID:	100522

A few more pieces and BAM!

Name:	IMG_5536.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	968.8 KB 
ID:	100523

Rinse and repeat for the other panel.