Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    That looks like a fairly tight radius on the inner 1/3 of those first two pieces. How long did that have to sit wet to get that curve and how much do you have to compensate for shrinkage after it dries on a bend like that? I will assume that has to be fairly damp to bend in multiple directions like that. Last do you glue it wet or wait til its dry and the shape is formed properly before gluing?
    BILLS LAW: Bills Law specifically states that it covers ANYTHING that Murphy may have forgot, omitted, or plain didn't know in the first place. There fore if it can happen it WILL happen to ME.

Psyborg FPV You Tube channel.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC88...L6-KC9qTa2LgVA

Builder Extraordinare willsonman's Avatar
    I wet the wood for about 2 minutes. Balsa wicks pretty well and warm water helps over cold. I'm wetting on only one side (top) so I hold it in place and let the wood fibers take the form for about a minute or two. Squirt on some CA and hold it in place for about a minute.
    "It'll fly... probably"

Current active build:
    Top Flite 60 size F4U Corsair
    Shameless YouTube plug
    Shameless shop plug

Looks great, good info on the bending balsa. I usually tape or clamp in place and let it dry before gluing, never thought about wetting one side then glue, I may try that.
    Too many airplanes and not enough time...

I think it depends on the curve. Years ago, I had to bend sticks to form the tail end of a fuselage for a WWI airplane... those sticks had to be soaked in warm ammonia and clamped into submission and dried before you could glue. This is 1/16" sheet so it does not take much to bend this stuff.
    "It'll fly... probably"

Current active build:
    Shameless YouTube plug
    Shameless shop plug

Tonight's adventures are as follows...

Started by installing some medium balsa as a backing for a hatch to service the flap servos.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5559.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	801.2 KB 
ID:	100562

Since I have some work to do on the guts in the forward section I opted to start sheeting the aft section on the bottom. Simple stuff. No wetting, just careful shaping. I did try to bow the balsa to give enough clearance for the wheels. This is a common problem when sheeting this airplane. There is little room to clear the wheels with the doors (doors are not part of the kit... but I need them).

Name:	IMG_5560.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	754.5 KB 
ID:	100563

And with a little bit of patience you have both sides and the center section sheeted on the bottom. There is a belly pan that goes on there later.

Name:	IMG_5561.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	931.2 KB 
ID:	100564
    "It'll fly... probably"

Current active build:
    Shameless YouTube plug
    Shameless shop plug

Trying to keep some momentum here so I started work on some finer details...

Not much to show but I did find a reference document over at RC Scale Builder on another Corsair build that had marks for the scale cowl flaps. I marked up the cowl mounting ring and started work on how I want to mount the servos for the functional flaps. In short, I need a servo reverser so I'll have to order that... and probably just a few of them.

While I was working on that I started some prints.

Here you can see the location of the oil cooler intakes as well as the rib in the wing. I need some cooling inside the airplane for the batteries and this is just the ticket. I'll make a cutout in the leading edge spot for a more scale oil cooler intake.

Name:	IMG_5564.JPG 
Size:	657.2 KB 
ID:	100643

Here is what I mean. The standard vacuum formed part sort of has the look but is entirely lacking in any scale fidelity up close(left). The 3D print will add a lot of that detail back and become a functional intake and direct air flow in the direction of the inner wing to flow into the fuselage. The part needs to be enlarged slightly but I think conveys that this idea will work.

Name:	IMG_5562.JPG 
Size:	834.4 KB 
ID:	100644

Here you can see how this will look, overall. Again, there is some enlargement of the print, gluing, and blending needed but should work quite well.

Name:	IMG_5563.JPG 
Size:	607.0 KB 
ID:	100645

And a reference picture.

Name:	Oil_cooler_Intake_zpsexo6st9i.jpg 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	100646
    "It'll fly... probably"