Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard

FTFC'18 WWII F-82 Twin Mustang designed by 320dude

After looking through various xplanes, I decided on the F-82/P-82. I like the original P-51 Mustang so I figured that having two of them together would be even more fun. According to the research I've done this plane was first tested June 15, 1945 (During WWII) but did not go into service until after WWII in 1946. For the prototype (picture below), I am using parts of the wings and the fuselage from the FT Mustang Plans. However I had to add a section to the middle of the wing of course and will to have to create a new tail which will span the two fuselage's. After maidening the prototype and seeing how it flies, I'm planning on creating my own fuselage design which will be less 'boxy' and more closely match the shape of the real plane. There will also be a bomb drop between the wings as with the original plane. Right now I'm thinking of using a twin C-pack for the plane as the wing span will be ~60 inches.
    Any comments/inputs are welcome.

http://www.boeing.com/history/produc...n-mustang.page
    https://www.militaryfactory.com/airc...ircraft_id=182
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails North_American_XP-82_Twin_Mustang_44-83887.Color.jpg   IMG_8020.jpg  

Cool project!

Excellent approach!

Starting with a 'known working product' and modifying just a couple things at a time should get you to a successful bird with the least amount of backtracking

I borrowed NerdNic's speed wing design for my Caudron C.460 for last year's challenge and it worked out great!
    I want YOU to join us in the 2018 Flite Test Forum WWII Design/Build Challenge!

My hanger listing, build threads, conversion projects, and Taranis radio mods are Over Here....

This will be awesome. I recommend counter rotating the props.

Quote Originally Posted by Kunphushun View Post
    This will be awesome. I recommend counter rotating the props.
    I will make sure to do that.

cool, what are you planning on doing to make it less "boxy"?
    Always remember this when you are struggling with something, "It is possible.....just not in a way you know yet".
    check out my Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtx...o5Z9_6b-uVZpgQ

designs Bell P-39
    building D.520|Grumman XF5F|Grumman F-9

I'm going to print a cowling for the front, which will probably involve redoing the fuselage from the wing forward. As well as changing the turtle deck a bit so I can have an actual cockpit. Not really set on anything yet, I mainly want to make it look more scale.

Quote Originally Posted by 320dude View Post
    I'm going to print a cowling for the front, which will probably involve redoing the fuselage from the wing forward. As well as changing the turtle deck a bit so I can have an actual cockpit. Not really set on anything yet, I mainly want to make it look more scale.
    cool! are you going get rid of the undercambered wing tips and redo the airfoil so the cross section is smoother and less "jointy"?
    Always remember this when you are struggling with something, "It is possible.....just not in a way you know yet".
    check out my Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtx...o5Z9_6b-uVZpgQ

designs Bell P-39

Quote Originally Posted by Grifflyer View Post
    cool! are you going get rid of the undercambered wing tips and redo the airfoil so the cross section is smoother and less "jointy"?
    I wasn't planning on it, but thats not a bad idea. Do you know of any planes that people have done that with so I could see how it looks/ is done, to get some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by 320dude View Post
    I wasn't planning on it, but thats not a bad idea. Do you know of any planes that people have done that with so I could see how it looks/ is done, to get some ideas.
    Uh yeah, you"ll have to design you own using the following techniques could try something like Experimentalairlines technique

or the better looking one would be nerdnics speed wing, but although it will look great (props to nic) it will have some drawbacks if you're a newer pilot it is a harder wing to build and fly with possible less lift, tip stalls, and it will be a whole new way of flying, so if you were to try it build something like the p-39 on a C pack setup just to get a feel for it.

but here is a plane design series he did, I haven't watched it but I think he talks about speed wings
    here

designs Bell P-39