Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Suggestion Box - Flite Test Product Threads

This is not a suggestion for the show, but a suggestion for the forum.

Please create a line item in the forum, probably in the “Look here First!” section called “Suggestion Box”. Flite Test is much more than a “show” and more than a on line hobby store. It is a growing community and it’s time to get organized so the members of that community can better help one another.

As a first “Suggestion” let me offer the following….

Please create a topic in the forum called “Flite Test Products” containing sticky threads for each of the products you sell on your web site. This would be the place where the Flite Test Community can talk about the products, ask questions, post experiences, get recommendations for related products (What battery should I buy?, will this work with my DX9?, etc.) It would also be a way to the FT team to get focused feedback on how their products are being experienced by the community and ultimately improve their product line.

Currently I have several FT products that I would like to talk about but the forum is not organized in a way that I can reach the portion of the FT community that would care, or possibly know the answers to my questions.

Problem with one thread per product is the shear amount of people using this stuff. That thread would be 100's of k posts in a very short time. Then to top it off you would have to search the thread for the specific issue you want answers for. Then to top it all off far to many people do not even bother searching for answers they start a new thread anyways.

Myself and other mentors here answer the same questions several times a week sometimes its very frustrating and I see the same question asked 4 ways on the same "New thread" search I do every few minutes when I am around because no one bothers to look for what they need.

There are enough people on here at all hours that it is rare any question goes unanswered let alone unresponded to for more then a few hours.

That all being said they kind of do what you are asking for already with the build threads and build videos they do for each product. Most of the support for them comes from the community more so then FT crew as they are too busy running the company, the store, and producing content as well as product design. This is why this community is so awesome when compared to ANY other community out there.

As far as feed back they do keep an eye in here on how their products are doing and will step in to address any major or recurring issues. Finally if you can not get what you need from here they all have accounts you can reach them at but as you imagine fast response times with all that they do will not be the greatest when trying direct contact route.
    BILLS LAW: Bills Law specifically states that it covers ANYTHING that Murphy may have forgot, omitted, or plain didn't know in the first place. There fore if it can happen it WILL happen to ME.

Psyborg FPV You Tube channel.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC88...L6-KC9qTa2LgVA

I'm not sure what you're after Randy.

If we used one of the threads already in use like the Gremlin for example. Other than being a sticky, what are you looking for that would be different? I see threads getting plenty of traffic and even if, or I should probably say when, a separate thread is initiated we can always redirect them to where the information is concentrated.
    Truths in life:
    1) Everything that happens happens for a reason. Luck does not exist.
    2) In this existence we are part of the problem or part of the solution. The choice is ours.
    3) We aren't defined by our circumstances but by our reactions to them. Crisis reveals character.

I think it's also worth thinking about Flite Test's mission and goals. They aren't in business to sell tons of product, take over the market place, and dominate the industry. They exist to create community, foster learning, and help people connect and engage with each other - and the way they have helped the forum grow supports that goal. I don't see them ever going down a path of providing dedicated product support through the forum when fostering the community engagement is more aligned to their mission.

An example of the success of this is in the first three people who responded to your post here. We all live in separate states, met online via the forums here and became fast friends, camped out together at Flite Fest East, and are currently plotting to take over the world... er.. maybe I shouldn't have said that part out loud.

Of course this is all my interpretation of how the FT mission is reflected in the forums and their product support choices. Stephan might drop by this thread and set me straight
    Last edited by rockyboy; 11-15-2017 at 03:33 AM.
    I want YOU to join us in the 2018 Flite Test Forum WWII Design/Build Challenge!

My hanger listing, build threads, conversion projects, and Taranis radio mods are Over Here....

I am honestly surprised by the negative response to this suggestion.

I agree, the FT community is the first and often best place to ask questions. I am only trying to facilitate that by organizing it in a way where people can find the best place to ask their questions, or find the answers.

Speaking as a FT customer, I can ask my questions under any number of topic areas, none of them obviously the right place. I can start my own thread and I might reach the right people. I can try to use the search capability, but frankly I have never found any search capability in any forum to be very helpful, even when I know a particular post has the information I want.

People will always ask the same questions over and over again. That is the nature of the beast. People often don’t want to read every post in a long thread to possibly find something related to their question. I don’t blame them. Being able to point them to post #74 in the same thread is far more efficient than typing the same answer over and over again in multiple threads.

Relatively speaking, the FT forums aren’t that active, not compared to RCG for example. The threads for all time are usually a few thousand or less, and the replies are often in the single or double digits. Ultimately what I am suggesting would not change the posts, only organize them in a logical way. It might encourage a few more posts as people would be more comfortable knowing they are posting in the right place. It might result in a few less posts as people find the answers they want without posting.

I won’t speak for FT or their aspirations as a business, but clearly they are, among other things, an on line hobby shop and that is what pays the bills. I think they want to be the best they can be in every respect, and that includes providing the best customer experience. My suggestion intends to improve their customer experience with minimal impact on their direct resources by more efficiently utilizing the loyal FT community. If the various store pages had links to these threads I would click them eagerly, both when considering a purchase, and to get and receive feedback once I was using the product.

This seems like such a “no brainer” to me. I am amazed by the negative response.

I would prefer to see this idea implemented in the way that Amazon does. You ask your question directly on the product's purchase page and not in a separate forum.

I second that, Amazon has a great system for reviews on products. Someday, when AI gets more advanced, it would be nice to have product pages that will search the web for related threads and have links to click on. There is a vast amount of great information on this forum for products that is difficult to find even using search engines. It always frustrating to try and find information that is out there, and you know it's there, because Google try's to outsmart you or upsell you with paid search results.
    Too many airplanes and not enough time...

I agree that having a link between the product page and the forum thread for the build that Sponz always starts up titled *Unofficial* [insert design name here] would be handy. The search function in the forums isn't the best and this would help people who might not even realize the forums are here to support them.
    I want YOU to join us in the 2018 Flite Test Forum WWII Design/Build Challenge!

My hanger listing, build threads, conversion projects, and Taranis radio mods are Over Here....

Quote Originally Posted by rockyboy View Post
    I agree that having a link between the product page and the forum thread for the build that Sponz always starts up titled *Unofficial* [insert design name here] would be handy. The search function in the forums isn't the best and this would help people who might not even realize the forums are here to support them.
    If there is already a thread for most every product then that would be fine. IMHO it would be a bit nicer if all these threads were under one topic, especially for the FT people who have to administer the system. Also, longer term, I imagine the FT folks would create the new thread at the same time they create a new product page.

Quote Originally Posted by TexMechsRobot View Post
    I would prefer to see this idea implemented in the way that Amazon does. You ask your question directly on the product's purchase page and not in a separate forum.
    My hope is that working within the existing structure would be easier and therefore more likely to happen.

I would also hope to keep the helpful-friendly nature of the forum. I am not saying that the Amazon version isn't as halpful-friendly, I don't know. It's just that a forum is thought of a place to discuss and solve problems, etc. and not just a place to rant about how your product arrived damaged, etc. I would also like to avoid having two separate places for what amounts to the same discussions. In addition to making it more difficult to find the information I am afraid it might lead to one of the two becoming more negative. I do think negative input has value though. I just would not want it to become depressingly negative without the balance of the positive and helpful comments.

I'm a care bear...Really? CrashRecovery's Avatar
    Like others have said I think it will be a bit overwhelming based on topics. The thing with asking questions and not having it in the right spot, well that;s an easy fix. Most of that are mentors or Mods keep track of that stuff and if we know where the topic should be we can get it moved easily.
    Like said above the Gremlin thread is a perfect example. I started that one after I was at the shop when I saw the beta designs and TJ asked me to spread the word.
    A lot of people in the forums have come here because they did not like the feeling they got over at RCG. I for one have never really liked the format and sometime I picked up some attitude toward new pilots asking questions. As for the repeated questions we see, yes it gets frustrating but we now have the ability to mold the new people into respectful smart pilots. What I find the most frustrating about the repeated questions is people either are new to forums and don't know there is a search function for the topics or they just post the question in like three or four areas in hopes of getting answers. I think a simple forum 101 thread would go great for the new person. With that being said if you want to look a certain topic or maybe a question, try the search function. You should be pleasantly surprised with your results of your search.
    Maybe I'm missing your end goal here but I hope my thoughts helped.
    That's not a drone. That's an MCI - a Multirotor Controlled by an Idiot.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast