Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    airc-pirates.com AircPirateNinsei's Avatar

FTFC'18 WWII Tachikawa Ki-94-I designed by Airc Pirates (Twin-boom, push-pull config)

Status: The maiden flight was successfully completed and the BETA-plan is published!

Here is the link to the BETA-plan:

DOWNLOAD FREE DIY PLAN

Like it flies? See for yourself:

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
    Old first post:

Konnichiwa! Here is a Japanese prototype for a heavy fighter you should have seen:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gfhcghgcg.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	98240

I'm not sure how much wingspan I'm going to build this plane, but there won't be three meters of wingspan, like in this video:

And here's some history:
    In the summer of 1942, the Koku Hombu was formulating specifications for a fighter that supported a heavy armament and could operate at high altitude. After settling on thespecifications, the Koku Hombu approachedTachikawa and Nakajima and asked each firm to produce a design to meet these requirements. The specifications for the fighter included a maximum speed of 800km/h (497mph) and arange of 3,OOOkm (1,864 miles). The Koku Hombu knew the demands were high, perhaps even impossible to obtain, and so asked Tachikawa and Nakajima to put forward proposals to meet the demands. But they handicapped Tachikawa by allowing Nakajima to ignore the range requirement. As such, Nakajima could concern themselves with making their design fast without worrying about how far it could operate. Undeterred, Tachikawa's designers set about the task of coming up with a concept that would achieve what the Koku Hombu asked for. What resulted was a departure from the conventional. lt was decided that two Mitsubishi Ha-211 Ru (Ha-43 Ru), 18-cylinder, air-cooled radial engines should be used placed in the fuselage in a push-pull configuration. The key advantage this offered was a reduction in drag over a more conventional, wing mounted engine arrangement. Secondly, the centreline thrust symmetry of the aircraft would be maintained in case of engine failure which, in turn, allowed for nearly no loss of control. Each engine was to drive a fourbladed propeller. A twin-boom arrangement was mated to the low mounted wings. For weapons, a 30mm Ho-155 cannon was fitted into each wing while a (couple of) 37mm Ho-2044 cannons was situated directly below the Ho-155, installed in the tail boom. If required, the Ki-94-1 would be capable of carrying up to 500kg (1,1 021b) of bombs. The Ki-94-1 was to use a pressurised cockpit for the pilot and featured a tricycle landing gear. Once the Ki-94-I was finalised, construction began on a wooden mock-up to be completed in October 1943.

Name:	ki94I_002.jpg 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	98241

Name:	ki94I_003.jpg 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	98242

Tachikawa then invited representatives from the Koku Hombu to visit and inspect the Ki-94-I. On inspection and review, Tachikawa was to be disappointed when the design was rejected outright. The Koku Hombu inspectors found the Ki-94-I to be too unorthodox, too complex to build and that Tachikawa's performance estimates were optimistic. Tachikawa, however, did not give up on the Ki-94-1 and reworked the aircraft into a heavy fighter that was designated the Rikugun Kogiken Ki-104. To boost the armament, two 57mm Ho-401 cannons were added. Unfortunately, this design was also rejected. With the rejection of the high altitude fighter and the subsequent heavy fighter revision, Tachikawa finally abandoned the Ki-94-I.

Name:	ki94I_004.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	98243
    Last edited by AircPirateNinsei; 02-03-2018 at 08:07 PM.

I was literally looking at this airplane last night thinking how easy it would be to build. lol Im probably kidding myself, but the fuse is just round...

Kunphushun, just do it!

Yes, the fuselage of the original is round, but that doesn't mean it has to be round on a foam board model! Of course, you should recognize the profile of the airplane in flight, as with my Mini Mirage, which has no rounded air intakes!

You are welcome to take over this project! I just got started.

Name:	ki94I_006.JPG 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	98261

I also have enough to do with my Blohm & Voss Ha-137 V5.
    If you want the Ki-94-I-Project, you can have it!

What wingspan did you have in mind?

I wanted to build the Ki-94-I with 800mm wingspan and two FT Power Pack F compatible motors.

I appreciate the offer, but I am in teh middle of a 200% cub build. I just printed the tail feathers. The horizontal is longer than most FT plane main wings. lol

Nice - reminds me of the Junkers EF 112 that I started but will probably not finish.

Watching!

DamoRC
    Good day at the field = coming home because you ran out of batteries.
    Bad day at the field = coming home because you ran out of planes.
    Really bad day at the field = Last 10 seconds of this video

Another twin push-pull! Very cool!
    I want YOU to join us in the 2018 Flite Test Forum WWII Design/Build Challenge!

My hanger listing, build threads, conversion projects, and Taranis radio mods are Over Here....

The first parts of the KI-94-I are ready - wing, tailbooms and stabilizers.

Name:	ki94i_101.jpg 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	99499

The middle part of the wing has to be reworked.
    Now it needs a fuselage, sheetings and electronics.

Sweet!! are you going to go 4s?
    Always remember this when you are struggling with something, "It is possible.....just not in a way you know yet".
    check out my Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtx...o5Z9_6b-uVZpgQ

designs Bell P-39|Grunjet|Grumman XF5F
    building D.520|Grumman F-9|P-51B Mustang

I think a 3s setup is enough. With a 4s setup with two F-Pack motors this plane would certainly mutate to a speed demon! I intend to use Mini Power Pods for engine mounting, so the replacement of engines will be easy. I think that an A-Pack Motor Setup on 3s is sufficient for a pleasant flight with a wingspan of 800mm. We will see!

Still in progress!

Yeah, I missed phase one and I'm late. But that doesn't stop me from completing my FTFC projects.
    Here is the current status of the Ki-94-I.

Name:	ki94i_111.jpg 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	100247

The prototype has 800 mm wingspan and two Mini Power Pods (swappable)!
    Now i have to create the turtle deck and the canopy from poster board and then the electronics can be installed.

Name:	ki94i_112.jpg 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	100248

An FT Power Pack A (TWIN) setup with 3s should be sufficient for flying. We're gonna test it.
    We will also test a FT Power Pack F (TWIN) setup with 4s. Let's see if the plane becomes a Sumo fighter!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast