| Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Posted a thousand or more times jhitesma's Avatar
    BTW - if you haven't been following my extruder upgrade thread you may enjoy knowing that after over a week of failed prints it was Cura that finally got me a printable version.

I was also much happier with how cura generated some of the paths - bridges in particular. You can really see the difference in the areas where the bearings go in my carriage.

Printed with slic3r:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180102_224425 (1).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	100918

Printed with Cura:

Name:	20180115_000315 (1).jpg 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	100919

To be 100% fair I did use supports on this particular print with Cura - though I also printed it with Cura without supports and it did the bridges the same way making them MUCH cleaner than slic3r since they were so much shorter.

And the slic3r devs are aware of this and looking into it - I actually saw an issue filed on their github account about it right after I experienced it
    Stop in and say hi in the unofficial FT IRC channel!

I am glad you were able to get a good print and I am pleased that I coaxed you into trying Cura. I am sympathetic to the whole week of failed prints episode. I think you're more patient than I would have been.

Your explanation of the coding makes a lot more sense of why I've been experiencing the missing faces and how the reattempts have been successful. Now I need to go about my drawings conscious of that and hopefully I can learn to avoid and remedy them better/smarter.

Everything on the green print looks better. Are they similar brands and filament types?
    Truths in life:
    1) Everything that happens happens for a reason. Luck does not exist.
    2) In this existence we are part of the problem or part of the solution. The choice is ours.
    3) We aren't defined by our circumstances but by our reactions to them. Crisis reveals character.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCR120 View Post
    Everything on the green print looks better. Are they similar brands and filament types?
    The grey is MakerGeeks "Raptor" PLA which is a modified PLA that's supposed to be as strong as some nylons if you anneal it after printing. The green is their standard "maker" filament, dirt cheap and nothing fancy but prints at higher temps than other PLA's so they must be doing something a little different with it.

The grey I had my Z probe offset a bit off so the 1st layer was getting over squished. I tend to err on the side of caution - I'd rather have a little bit of "elephants foot" than my print come off the bed mid-print The green I had adjusted the offset better before that print. I actually have better ones in Raptor done with slic3r that was just the photo I had handy.

Not many prints am I willing to have that much patience for. But...I really wanted a titan extruder to hopefully solve the issues I've had with printing Nylon filament and since my wife got me one...I needed a mount for it

Name:	20180123_201045.jpg 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	100958

That's not all the failures...that's just the ones I saved once I started getting frustrated and wanted some trophies to show off (in a desperate attempt to keep myself sane!)

There are over 16 failed prints in that pile. Well...not all "failures" Some are complete prints I just wasn't happy with the design of the part or the modifications I made to it.

And it's not over yet. What I have now is working...but I'm not happy with it since I lost over 20mm of width on my printbed so I want to work out a way to modify it further. But I'm in no rush to tackle that now that it's working again!

If I may offer some encouragement... like Edison, none need be considered as failures but rather discoveries of unsatisfactory ways to print an extruder mount. And your discoveries aren't insignificant as you are possibly the most likely person on this forum to freely share your findings and frustrations for our benefit.
    Truths in life:
    2) In this existence we are part of the problem or part of the solution. The choice is ours.
    3) We aren't defined by our circumstances but by our reactions to them. Crisis reveals character.

Thanks. I'm really good a finding the wrong way to do things The hard part for me is remembering to share the way that actually works when I finally achieve it. Though to be brutally honest I mostly do that because my own rotten memory rather than out of an altruistic desire to help others. Which isn't to say I don't enjoy helping others, I very much do. But I'm more likely to help others accidentally because when I try to do it intentionally I tend to find ways to screw that up

The problem with projects like this mount is that the longer it takes me to get it right the less likely it becomes that I ever get it to where I'm 100% happy with it. I get caught in a cycle of finding increasingly minor issues to fix and then wind up accepting good enough for myself but don't want to release the final work because it doesn't meet my own expectations for what's worth sharing to others.

I started to upload the mount to thingiverse last night...but then writing the description started listing all the things I still want to change about it and decided I better fix those before I post it. But now that I have something that kind of works I'm less likely to finish fixing those little things.

Still there are enough things I plan on changing for my own use still so I'll keep plugging at it. But progress will slow now that I'm printing again.

So maybe you can just post it as version 1.0 like software does with its updates and major revision numbering conventions.
    Truths in life:

Hey Jason, I think something is going on with one of the pics you posted. In post #30 there is a pic of a green image I believe you were using to illustrate your point. The caption calls attention to the 121 fixed errors. The thing is I am seeing this same pic within many other posts and signature lines, including one of my own I just spotted in post #14 of this thread. I'm curious about how this happens and what it might mean but wonder if there is some sort of virus working it's way in.

Follow-up
    I was able to edit out the pic from post #14. Here are before and after snapshots...

Name:	image.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	525.2 KB 
ID:	101036Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	576.1 KB 
ID:	101037
    Last edited by JimCR120; 01-25-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    Truths in life:

That's odd. I'm guessing it's a browser cache issue due to something funky going on with the BBS. I know the admins have been doing some work behind the scenes to get ready for a newer BBS package and due to abuse by spammers - so it could be related to that.

It looks as intended to me right now when I load the post so you may want to try clearing the cache on your browser to see if that clears it up...or just give it time. I wouldn't worry too much about a virus it's most likely just something transient that can happen from time to time.

I asked a question about it in another thread where I saw it happening and another forum member said he could only see my screen captures but not any on his own leading me to believe it wasn't a virus but something more of a glitch or now maybe what you are suggesting. I'm on another machine now I will surf around and see what I see. When I get back on the other machine I will try what you suggest. Thanks.

Update:I checked in 2 other machines (a laptop and another iPad) without the artifact.
    Last edited by JimCR120; 01-25-2018 at 05:17 PM.
    Truths in life:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4