Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Illegal Squid Fighting? agentkbl's Avatar
    the free license (I think) is one year, but you can renew it every year for free. it is (I think) almost entirely different from Sketchup. I've never used Sketchup, but it's not parametric, and Fusion is, meaning that you draw two dimensional shapes, define them with measurements and constraints and then extrude, revolve, or loft them into three dimensions. I'm pretty sure that's not how Sketchup works.
    "Fold the parts up till it looks like a plane, glue it so it stays that shape, screw in a motor and some electronics and toss it in the air."
    -Aviator08

"Simplicate and add lightness."
    -Tench745

(I take no credit for the above quotes in my signature. I simply thought they were clever.)

Hangar: Ultra battered FT Pietenpol. it flies great! me, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by agentkbl View Post
    the free license (I think) is one year, but you can renew it every year for free. it is (I think) almost entirely different from Sketchup. I've never used Sketchup, but it's not parametric, and Fusion is, meaning that you draw two dimensional shapes, define them with measurements and constraints and then extrude, revolve, or loft them into three dimensions. I'm pretty sure that's not how Sketchup works.
    SketchUp (free version) is fairly limited but does have the availability to extrude and revolve (kinda) 2d surfaces. With some additional plugins (extensions) you can get it to do quite a fair bit including import and export STL's which is why I personally use it for modelling prints.

It's alright to get started but I've heard Fusion360 is by far way more superior, I personally want to upgrade to it after I've exuasted the functionality of SketchUp
    "Too cute and fluffy to crash"

(Most Active)DeviantArt : www.comikz.ink
    Thingiverse : www.thingiverse.com/ComikzInk

I've barely used Sketchup and nothing at all with Fusion360. I wouldn't mind jumping on the Fusion360 happy bandwagon with all the satisfied people but hesitate at the idea that I might get hooked on a product that later gets a price tacked on. I'm a little torn on this one.

I suppose I should just pick one and give it a try and see what happens. Since Sketchup is free and there are no strings attached I think I'll start there. On the other hand if Fusion360 has a limited free license that can be renewed perpetually then that might be worth the hassle if it's as good as it sounds.

Right now I'm just bummed waiting for any one of 3 filament orders to get delivered. No one around here that I know of has the stuff on the shelves. Surely I'm not the first to be so eager to keep printing. I was actually contemplating digging out some weed wacker line to keep things going in a curious sort of way. I think Jason or someone also mentioned this. Am I a 3D junkie?

Then again on the Makerbot site I saw links about other free software too. Ufff! Which 3D software should I use?
    Truths in life:
    1) Everything that happens happens for a reason. Luck does not exist.
    2) In this existence we are part of the problem or part of the solution. The choice is ours.
    3) We aren't defined by our circumstances but by our reactions to them. Crisis reveals character.

Post Cura 3.1 Available for Download

Well well how's that for timing!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 11.48.34 PM.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	99059

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 11.52.17 PM.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	99060
    Cura 3.1 is no longer a beta!

So of course I downloaded it and PLAyed around with my newly arrived filaments (see what I did there ). I am a noob at this and maybe I'm easy to please but wow! I printed off the Benches for all filaments, a working threaded nut and bolt, and right now I'm trying out a musical recorder.

Name:	IMG_6459.jpeg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	99062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0293.jpeg 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	99063
    I did have to work the threads back and forth a bit to get it to go smoothly but eventually I got there.

Jason, I'm not sure if this was what you were looking for but I took a snapshot anyway to be sure. It's a Benchy in Layer view with colors showing the different types of printing going on within the Benchy print. This is in 3.1. I didn't look for it in the previous version.

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 12.30.56 AM.png 
Size:	515.6 KB 
ID:	99061

One thing I would like to find and haven't is a print queue. Also, I read somewhere that it's better to print off of the micro SD card but is there any benefits to running the USB cable directly computer to printer? Cura shows a monitor tab that might work with that and if I could gain a print queue I would certainly like that.

It's late. I'm printing the next piece in the recorder. Goodnight all.
    Last edited by JimCR120; 12-07-2017 at 08:42 AM.
    Truths in life:
    2) In this existence we are part of the problem or part of the solution. The choice is ours.
    3) We aren't defined by our circumstances but by our reactions to them. Crisis reveals character.

Posted a thousand or more times jhitesma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimCR120 View Post
    Jason, I'm not sure if this was what you were looking for but I took a snapshot anyway to be sure. It's a Benchy in Layer view with colors showing the different types of printing going on within the Benchy print. This is in 3.1. I didn't look for it in the previous version.
    Nice, I'll check tonight if it's in the old version before I upgrade Just haven't had much to print this week so haven't been doing much testing. I did whip out a benchy but keep forgetting to take photos of it :P

One thing I would like to find and haven't is a print queue. Also, I read somewhere that it's better to print off of the micro SD card but is there any benefits to running the USB cable directly computer to printer? Cura shows a monitor tab that might work with that and if I could gain a print queue I would certainly like that.
    I don't find a print queue very helpful since you have to remove the previous print from the end and sometimes prep the bed between prints.

That said...printing from SD generally is better. It can actually sometimes be faster but more importantly it's usually more reliable. Printing over USB the connection can sometimes bottleneck and if the computer crashes or goes to sleep or gets busy....boom.

On the other hand printing while tethered lets you follow the progress closer.

But...copying files to the SD is annoying. Which is why a lot of people use a dedicated single board computer (Generally a Raspberry Pi but I use a $9 C.H.I.P which I like better since it has wifi built in and doesn't require a SD card...oh and it's only $9...but not currently available.)

I originally ran repetier-server with repetier-host on my desktop. I liked that setup a lot since repetier-host is a nicer plater than slic3r and could use either slic3r or cura for slicing. But they changed the licensing on repetier-server and disabled functions in the free release which rubbed me the wrong way. So I switched to OctoPrint and just send to it directly from slic3r...with cura you need a plugin to be able to send to OctoPrint directly and I haven't found one that is listed as working in v3+ yet and haven't bothered to experiment to see if any of the ones I found do work in 3+. So I'm just uploading to OctoPrint manually through it's web interface.

Honestly I prefered Repetier-Server to OctoPrint....but at almost $80 I just can't justify the price of repetier-server when OctoPrint works and is free.

This setup gives the best of both worlds. With a dedicated linux computer there's almost no chance of a crash or the system getting busy - but you're still tethered so you can still follow print progress. Plus you get a web interface which you can tunnel through your router so you can check on your printer from anywhere. Add in a webcam (which both rep-server and OP support) and it's a pretty powerful setup. To really take it up a notch you can even setup a relay to control power to the printer so you can shut it down remotely in an emergency.

I've even heard from some people who do multiple prints a day un-attended. They use the print head to push the previous print off the plate when it's all cooled down. I'm not a fan of that idea though - could damage the print head or gantry if you have good print adhesion, and you leave the skirt behind which will mess up your next first layer.
    Stop in and say hi in the unofficial FT IRC channel!

Quote Originally Posted by jhitesma View Post
    Nice, I'll check tonight if it's in the old version before I upgrade Just haven't had much to print this week so haven't been doing much testing. I did whip out a benchy but keep forgetting to take photos of it :P

I don't find a print queue very helpful since you have to remove the previous print from the end and sometimes prep the bed between prints.

That said...printing from SD generally is better. It can actually sometimes be faster but more importantly it's usually more reliable. Printing over USB the connection can sometimes bottleneck and if the computer crashes or goes to sleep or gets busy....boom.

On the other hand printing while tethered lets you follow the progress closer.

But...copying files to the SD is annoying. Which is why a lot of people use a dedicated single board computer (Generally a Raspberry Pi but I use a $9 C.H.I.P which I like better since it has wifi built in and doesn't require a SD card...oh and it's only $9...but not currently available.)

I originally ran repetier-server with repetier-host on my desktop. I liked that setup a lot since repetier-host is a nicer plater than slic3r and could use either slic3r or cura for slicing. But they changed the licensing on repetier-server and disabled functions in the free release which rubbed me the wrong way. So I switched to OctoPrint and just send to it directly from slic3r...with cura you need a plugin to be able to send to OctoPrint directly and I haven't found one that is listed as working in v3+ yet and haven't bothered to experiment to see if any of the ones I found do work in 3+. So I'm just uploading to OctoPrint manually through it's web interface.

Honestly I prefered Repetier-Server to OctoPrint....but at almost $80 I just can't justify the price of repetier-server when OctoPrint works and is free.

This setup gives the best of both worlds. With a dedicated linux computer there's almost no chance of a crash or the system getting busy - but you're still tethered so you can still follow print progress. Plus you get a web interface which you can tunnel through your router so you can check on your printer from anywhere. Add in a webcam (which both rep-server and OP support) and it's a pretty powerful setup. To really take it up a notch you can even setup a relay to control power to the printer so you can shut it down remotely in an emergency.

I've even heard from some people who do multiple prints a day un-attended. They use the print head to push the previous print off the plate when it's all cooled down. I'm not a fan of that idea though - could damage the print head or gantry if you have good print adhesion, and you leave the skirt behind which will mess up your next first layer.
    My dad and I set up an OctoPrint Pi server that we connected to his Prusa; it's kinda nice to just shoot files across from his Mac web browser over to the Pi and start prints in another room. Plus, we can monitor prints using the Logitech webcam I hooked up to the Pi, and see how it's progressing. I'll be honest that the webcam quality isn't the greatest (I think it's due to the limitations of the Wi-Fi dongle that the Pi2 board we're using has, in addition to the locations of the printer and the router), but it does a fairly decent job considering the OSes we're working with!
    Hangar:

Blade Conspiracy 220, Inductrix Pro, FT Sea Duck, FT Duster, FT MiG-3, Versa Wing, ParkZone Archer

Workbench:

Possible Crimson Skies plane? We'll see!!

Retired to a Club Member:

Blade Glimpse

Not happy about no print queue. I had thought of the object being in the way and though I could work around that by strategically placing the objects on the bed and taking into account their sizes. I did a multiple object print but for some things with moving parts I don't care for the quality and if strength is important I'm guessing the cooling between layers would degrade object strength.

I will be interested in knowing your thoughts about pros and cons of 3.1.

As for how to get files to the printer, I suppose I'll just get a 2nd micro SD so I can load, print, and then switch after the print. I haven't tried pulling the card during a print. If the whole .gcode is uploaded for the print then I'll just go that route.

Now I'm a printing fool. I've got a growing list of things to print and to consider printing (leveling knobs, filament guides, I'm printing a recorder right now, maybe a marble madness type thing for the kids, looking for something less in the way than the document clips...) By the way, I noticed the print head has a different path to print than before. Is that something I can define. I would like to secure my glass plate better but I had to move one clip because the nozzle ran into it. I'mthinging of a design that might alleviate that but am not there yet and only saw a few things on Thingiverse that might do the trick. Not sure.

I remember you posting about a Hovalin. How's that going? Worth it? The music teacher where I work is a violinist and I mentioned the Hovalin to him. Of course he was curious about it. And now I have a daughter-in-law and a granddaughter who want to learn violin.

I know I ask a lot and also recognize the time of year. By all means don't allow me to interfere with home duties or festivities. And thank you for all the coaching.
    Truths in life:

Not happy about no print queue. I had thought of the object being in the way and though I could work around that by strategically placing the objects on the bed and taking into account their sizes. I did a multiple object print but for some things with moving parts I don't care for the quality and if strength is important I'm guessing the cooling between layers would degrade object strength.

I will be interested in knowing your thoughts about pros and cons of 3.1.

As for how to get files to the printer, I suppose I'll just get a 2nd micro SD so I can load, print, and then switch after the print. I haven't tried pulling the card during a print. If the whole .gcode is uploaded for the print then I'll just go that route.

Now I'm a printing fool. I've got a growing list of things to print and to consider printing (leveling knobs, filament guides, I'm printing a recorder right now, maybe a marble madness type thing for the kids, looking for something less in the way than the document clips...) By the way, I noticed the print head has a different path to print than before. Is that something I can define. I would like to secure my glass plate better but I had to move one clip because the nozzle ran into it. I'mthinging of a design that might alleviate that but am not there yet and only saw a few things on Thingiverse that might do the trick. Not sure.

I remember you posting about a Hovalin. How's that going? Worth it? The music teacher where I work is a violinist and I mentioned the Hovalin to him. Of course he was curious about it. And now I have a daughter-in-law and a granddaughter who want to learn violin.

I know I ask a lot and also recognize the time of year. By all means don't allow me to interfere with home duties or festivities. And thank you for all the coaching.
    The path to print should be determined by 1) your printer's required settings for testing (for example, my dad's Prusa i3 does a self-check on the bed before each print to verify a level bed), and 2) by the gcode that the printer is using. In theory, it's possible to edit your start point in the Gcode, but I've not messed with it myself; for me, everything I've printed has always printed fine with how my slicer turned out the file for printing. But I know it CAN be done...
    Hangar:

Blade Conspiracy 220, Inductrix Pro, FT Sea Duck, FT Duster, FT MiG-3, Versa Wing, ParkZone Archer

Workbench:

Possible Crimson Skies plane? We'll see!!

Retired to a Club Member:

Blade Glimpse

I had a similar print head crashing problem in Simplify3d and edited my start gcode to raise Z up 6mm as part of the start up script right after it reaches temperature. Cura should have a similar function, but I'm not familiar with where it is in the interface.
    I want YOU to join us in the 2018 Flite Test Forum WWII Design/Build Challenge!

My hanger listing, build threads, conversion projects, and Taranis radio mods are Over Here....

Illegal Squid Fighting? agentkbl's Avatar
    I've barely used Sketchup and nothing at all with Fusion360. I wouldn't mind jumping on the Fusion360 happy bandwagon with all the satisfied people but hesitate at the idea that I might get hooked on a product that later gets a price tacked on. I'm a little torn on this one.
    There's no time limit after which a price will be tacked on unless autodesk someday decides to cut their free cad out entirely. you can renew your subscription at any time for free as long as you're not using it to earn $100,000.00 a year or more.
    "Fold the parts up till it looks like a plane, glue it so it stays that shape, screw in a motor and some electronics and toss it in the air."
    -Aviator08

"Simplicate and add lightness."
    -Tench745

(I take no credit for the above quotes in my signature. I simply thought they were clever.)

Hangar: Ultra battered FT Pietenpol. it flies great! me, not so much.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast