| Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Umm...Okay, but I wasn't completely clear on all that. Are you talking about another, different write-up about my MZ-12? I'm definitely enthusiastic enough to do more writing. Since the manual was iffy for me, perhaps others found it so as well. I could do separate articles on the functions I now know how to use, and others as I learn about them. I did some tech writing for NASA years ago, sections of tech orders, that sort of thing. As far as your editing the posts, I think you'll find I'm easy to work with, i.e., do what you need to with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray K View Post
    Umm...Okay, but I wasn't completely clear on all that. Are you talking about another, different write-up about my MZ-12? I'm definitely enthusiastic enough to do more writing. Since the manual was iffy for me, perhaps others found it so as well. I could do separate articles on the functions I now know how to use, and others as I learn about them. I did some tech writing for NASA years ago, sections of tech orders, that sort of thing. As far as your editing the posts, I think you'll find I'm easy to work with, i.e., do what you need to with it.
    The goal is to have writeup like this one
    http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...l=1#post378034
    and
    http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...l=1#post378092
    RCdiy.ca
    Stay Safe & Have Fun
    OpenTX Manual http://rcdiy.ca
    Paying it forward by sharing my Lua scripts, documentation and videos.

Quote Originally Posted by RCdiy View Post
    Clears it up for me. Thanks, RCdiy. This will require a little research and a couple of days to put together. I'll assemble the article in Word with pics, then cut & paste here.

The very first radio controlled model was demonstrated in 1898 by none other than Nikola Tesla and was a boat. Some 32 years later, Johannes Graupner founded his radio control equipment manufacturing company in Stuttgart, Germany in 1930. After building their first glider in 1935, they added scale model ships in 1938. In 1954 their first radio-controlled models were introduced.
    Graupner GmbH was the company’s name, the GmbH meaning simply a private company like our LLC. When Johannes passed away in 1953, his son Hans took over the company and Graupner became the leading designer and producer of aircraft and boat radio-controlled models. They provided the world RC market with cutting edge technology RC radios and on board sensor equipment, until it went into receivership in 2012 due to competition from Asia. It was purchased in 2013 by South Korean manufacturer SJ Ltd, a company that had supplied Graupner with radio control equipment. In 2014, the name of SJ Inc. was changed to Graupner Co.Ltd.; thus the name Graupner referred to a Korean company from that time until present day.
    While Graupner sells virtually everything R/C, this article will be concerned only with their handheld transmitters and receivers. Graupner’s website lists some 24 different transmitters and 9 different receivers. In addition there are flight controllers for quadcopters and helicopters, plus airborne and surface vehicle telemetry.

HOTT TRANSMITTERS
    • Graupner has integrated telemetry into their transmitters and receivers. HoTT stands for Hopping Transmitter Telemetry, by the way. Battery levels, receiver signal and a couple of other functions are included with every tx/rx combination Graupner builds. There are also fuel flow sensors, Bluetooth modules for your phones, modules for altitude measurement, diagonal distance, heading, GPS speed, VARIO tone notifications of climb and descent trends, GPS data logging, metric and imperial units, wireless setup, warning thresholds for GPS data values, and can be used with HoTT Viewer App to measure lap times, warning thresholds for minimum altitude, maximum altitude, climb/drop speed, single cell voltage measurement of 2S-14S LiPo batteries with a warning threshold for minimum cell voltage, battery capacity used with warning threshold, main battery voltage measurement with warning threshold, programmable current limiter, with warning times that can be set to: OFF, 5, 10, 15, 29, 30 seconds, warning repeat time that can be set to: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 minutes, optional support for two temperature sensors, free firmware upgrades via Graupner Update Studio, a General Engine Module for 2 to 6S LiPo battery voltage measurement and individual cell voltage measurement, low voltage warning function, voltage measurement and warning function (3 batteries), temperature measurement and warning function by temperature sensors, engine, motor RPM measurements by RPM sensors, engine fuel consumption, current limiting, and more. For those who may not know, motors and engines are NOT the same thing; motors run on electrical power while engines run on some type of (usually liquid) fuel, like your car.
    While Graupner is an international company from Germany and Korea, Graupner also produces several other lines of products that are compatible with digital SUMD or SUMO outputs from third party products.

Available Tx: This link will take you to the Graupner website where you can select Radios from the side menu. (Prices shown are from the company website and do not reflect special offers potentially available)

MXS-8 4 Channel ($69)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mxs-8-1_thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	101293

• 4 channels (based on programmed configuration)
    • Programmable (through transmitter switches)

MZ-10 5 Channel ($69.90)

Name:	mz-10-1_thumbnail.jpg 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	101294

• 5 channels
    • 8 LED Screen
    • Wireless /Trainer System
    • Telemetry

MZ-12 6 Channel ($149)

Name:	mz-12-1_thumbnail.jpg 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	101295

• 6 channels
    • 20 model memory
    • Fully Programmable through Screen
    • User assignable switches and proportional controls
    • Airplane, helicopter, & sailplane programming
    • Wireless trainer link
    • Telemetry

MZ-18 9 Channel ($333)

Name:	mz-18-1_thumbnail.jpg 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	101296

• 9 channels
    • 30 model memory
    • Programmable voice alerts
    • Wireless trainer link
    • Telemetry
    • 2000mAh NiMh battery

MX-20 12 Channel ($399)

Name:	mx-20-1_thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	101297

• 12 channels
    • 24 model memory
    • Programmable voice alerts
    • Wireless trainer link
    • Telemetry
    • 2000mAh NiMh battery
    • GR-24L 12ch and GR-12L 6ch Rx included

mz-24 12 Channel ($399)

Name:	mz-24-1_thumbnail.jpg 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	101298

• Intuitively easy to use menus comparable to Smartphones
    • Quad bearings with 4096 resolution gimbals for smooth operation
    • External accessible stick tension adjustments
    • Voice announcements from built in speaker or optional ear piece
    • Real-time data logging of all critical flight information
    • Updateable firmware with Graupner Firmware Update Studio
    • Well balanced weight distribution of radio with comfortable rubber hand grips
    • User assignable switches and proportional controls
    • 12 fully proportional channels
    • User adjustable mode selection (1, 2, 3 or 4)
    • External DSC port for flight simulator connections or third party devices
    • HoTTSync for exclusive and safe operation of your models
    • 6 freely assignable Q-Links (flight modes)
    • Selectable signal repetition time of 10ms or 20ms for digital or analog servos
    • Use of up to 75 frequency hopping channels to ensure operating reliability
    • Wireless student and teacher mode
    • 30 model memories with almost unlimited model storage on SD memory card
    • Multi receiver binding for expansion and system redundancy
    • Support for digital SUMD or SUMO outputs for third party products
    ALSO INCLUDES: • mz-24 Transmitter
    • USB PC interface set
    • USB interface adapter wire
    • 4000 mAh LiPo Battery
    • Battery Charger
    • GR-24L 12ch receiver
    • GR-12L 6ch receiver
    • Manual • USB Cable
    • SD Card adapter
    • SD Card case
    • Micro SD Card
    • Hard case
    • USB adapter wire
    • Neckstrap
    • Two year Warranty

Graupner has an additional 9 handheld transmitters ranging in price up to $749.90, and then if you have plenty of money to spend on our hobby, they have a category of Tray Radios that run from $249 up to $1,299.

Advantages
    Warranty - Warranty and service is provided by Graupner.
    Programming - User interface and programming is perhaps the easiest to use if you understand all the terminology. If not, Flite Test has just about every tutorial on how to program your transmitter. On our forum, you’ll also find knowledgeable members who will be happy to help you.

Disadvantages
    The manual for my MZ-12 radio is a translation and is not always perfectly clear. Since I haven’t seen the other Graupner radio manuals, I’m not sure they have the same type manuals, but expect they would be the same as mine.
    Price – I’m sure there are cheaper radios out there, but I seriously doubt they would match the quality of the Graupner radios. For example, Flite Test currently has the Graupner MZ-12 with two receivers included for 144.99, and the Spektrum DXe Transmitter for $89.99. It doesn’t look like the DXe comes with a receiver and does require that you buy a programming cable. In addition there is no screen on the transmitter.

Author's Opinion
    I highly recommend the MZ-12 to anyone getting into the hobby. Here is why:
    I have three models now. An FT Simple Scout, an FT Guinea Pig and a Hobby King Cessna 182 Skylane. I was able to program the Simple Scout and Skylane with Flaperons, as well as throttle, elevator, rudder and ailerons. The Guinea Pig is programmed with differential thrust, as well as normal throttle, elevator, rudder and ailerons. I still have a channel open for a cargo door latch servo. And of course I programmed in dual rates and expo for all three planes, as well as a switch for throttle cut, another for fail-safe, and a dial for flaps. On a warbird I could have throttle, elevator, rudder, ailerons, flaps and landing gear. And this is just a beginner’s radio. That’s hard to beat.
    Last edited by Ray K; 01-30-2018 at 06:43 AM.

Nice write up Ray
    Jim - Time to make this a sticky?
    My two cents is don't worry about perfection. Make it a sticky first and clean up later.
    RCdiy.ca
    Stay Safe & Have Fun
    OpenTX Manual http://rcdiy.ca
    Paying it forward by sharing my Lua scripts, documentation and videos.

4s mini mustang
    Just get a dx8, it has good model memory, enough channels for anything you can think of, and it is definitely worth the price, after I got it I never had a brownout even with a mini when it was really far away and I had extremely low battery. I am not 100 percent sure about the brownout stuff but I have never had one on this tx, only on the dx4e at flitefest.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7