Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Maybe I should have said FrSKY branded receivers with Telemetry are cheaper that Spektrum Branded receivers with telemetry.

So yes, we can also make a comment that third party spektrum receivers are available but make sure we state their telemetry status. Trust is a matter of personal preference.
    RCdiy.ca
    Stay Safe & Have Fun
    http://rcdiy.ca
    Paying it forward by sharing my Lua scripts, documentation and videos.

With regards to non FrSKY radios capable of running OpenTX.
    I'm on the chat room set up by the developers and while technically a number of non FrSKY transmitters are supported in reality most of the developers now never had and no longer have the non FrSKY equipment. So when they do new releases there are things that sometimes break and come to light only after a user reports it and even then no guarantee it will get fixed soon.
    RCdiy.ca
    Stay Safe & Have Fun
    http://rcdiy.ca
    Paying it forward by sharing my Lua scripts, documentation and videos.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCR120 View Post
    Thanks. I hope so.

About the title, I know the title sounds more "forceful" (for lack of a better word) but I want to go with the wording similar to how the question is worded. It's to be more eye catching than requiring.

I will clarify that we are merely making suggestions and not actually directing them.
    Can`t do the sign for thumbs up......... so here is a thumbs up.

Ok I've trimmed a bunch. I plan on doing some more editing and reformatting this weekend but I'm very pleased with what we have already. It's much easier to trim this than bulk it up. I'm also pleased with the ones we have so far as they are certainly the most talked about in recent months. If someone "pops the question" I will be happy to share what we have already.

Nevertheless I would like to get in like the Turnigy systems or something more affordable so have a good range of choices that are already considered dependable.

And if there is anyone who'd like to add a system that is being overlooked or would like to jump on one of those listed but not yet covered, please speak up.

Anyone?
    Truths in life:
    1) Everything that happens happens for a reason. Luck does not exist.
    2) In this existence we are part of the problem or part of the solution. The choice is ours.
    3) We aren't defined by our circumstances but by our reactions to them. Crisis reveals character.

I'm really excited about how this thread is coming together - thanks Jim and everyone else for working on this!

I just ran across a post over on the other forums related to using the Jumper with simulators. Since normally that radio's USB port is hidden inside the case and you need to pull the back off and/or drill a hole to get a cable into it, it's not conducive to doing a normal USB cable connection for simulators. But as reported over there....

For Freerider, I use the OrangeRX 'USB Wireless Dongle' (from Hobby King) and connect to it wirelessly with the T8SG set at 1mW in DSMX protocol. No pesky cables and no noticable (to me at least ;-) latency, it just works perfectly.
    That dongle is about $15 over at Hobby King

Since spending some time on a simulator (free or otherwise) is something strongly recommended to noobs - especially for multi-rotoring - we should probably add a note in each of the radio posts about how to use them with sims.

Also, another radio brand we should probably address in here is FlySky - they are very cheap and basic and I know quite a few folks that have started with them (myself included on my 2.4 spread spektrum radio journey). In hindsight, I should have skipped it in favor of a more capable radio since I bought a new system within two months, but for people on very limited budgets it can still be a way to get into the sky.
    Last edited by rockyboy; 12-07-2017 at 03:42 PM.
    I want YOU to join us in the 2018 Flite Test Forum WWII Design/Build Challenge!

My hanger listing, build threads, conversion projects, and Taranis radio mods are Over Here....

Wow, nice tip. Thanks John.

Oh, and Spektrum just released a new radio, the iX12. At $600 I'm not sure if that would be one to include in the line-up. Interesting though.
    Last edited by JimCR120; 12-07-2017 at 06:53 PM.
    Truths in life:
    2) In this existence we are part of the problem or part of the solution. The choice is ours.
    3) We aren't defined by our circumstances but by our reactions to them. Crisis reveals character.

Building Fool-Flying Noob FoamyDM's Avatar
    Anyone doing an Radiolink AT10 - AT9.

It uses the FHSSS protocol boasting 3ms response time, 1.5 mi. range and 12 channels with $10-18 receivers. I love the AT-10 I selected at $110. Before the QX7 models came out, this was the only thing between the Tranis X9D ($250+) and barely-reviewed Jumper S8SG the low end 6ch Orange Box, HK-t6a, Frysky TS-i6's for $65. It inspired me to get crazy on my builds knowing I have channels to give to gear, flaps, camera switcher, bomb drops, Gimbel servos etc. + the standard 4. (EATR)

15 model memory
    8 switches, 4-3way, 4-2way. 3 potentiameters

Last edited by FoamyDM; 12-07-2017 at 09:35 PM.
    FTFC'18 WWII - Team ALLIED FORCES PAGE

FTFC'18 WWII Projects (Join Us!): Kalinin K-12 | SAM-7 "Sigma" | LPL Flying Sub

Personal:VF-9 (Robotech), FLITE TEST CARD GAME, Anime X1, Getting my Gremlin(s) Up.

Quote Originally Posted by FoamyDM View Post
    Anyone doing an Radiolink AT10 - AT9.

It uses the FHSSS protocol boasting 3ms response time, 1.5 mi. range and 12 channels with $10-18 receivers. I love the AT-10 I selected at $110. Before the QX7 models came out, this was the only thing between the Tranis X9D ($250+) and barely-reviewed Jumper S8SG the low end 6ch Orange Box, HK-t6a, Frysky TS-i6's for $65. It inspired me to get crazy on my builds knowing I have channels to give to gear, flaps, camera switcher, bomb drops, Gimbel servos etc. + the standard 4. (EATR)

15 model memory
    8 switches, 4-3way, 4-2way. 3 potentiameters

No one has claimed this one except for you. Thank you for volunteering. Just follow the example of the Spektrum format in Post #2 with the pertinent information and I'll put it in the index. Looking forward to another option.
    Truths in life:

I believe the new IX12 should be part as it is the first transmitter that has had any thing like the Android app as part of the overall radio system. I would bet my bottom dollar that all Spektrum radios will have this platform down the road it will probably be the new Spektrum norm..

Quote Originally Posted by RCdiy View Post
    Include the new iX12 for completeness.
    The Dx20 at $1300 is listed as is the $600 Horus.
    Part of me (the OCD part which should be CDO for alphabetic order) says go for the complete line-up, however the target audience of this thread is for the newcomer who is looking to get into the hobby. By going for completeness the thread just gets even more verbose when what I want to do is keep things simple. After all how many newcomers are looking to spend over a $1000 on a radio? Possible? Of course. Probable? I don't think so.

If I made $1000 the line in the sand then Horus stays, iX-12 enters, and DX20 is a no-go.

Also, I was planning on doing some HK and Turnigy radios but again the intent here is to be a handy reference even if not exhaustively complete. I'd much rather focus on the probable candidates which are the ones we find ourselves recommending several times a month.

Thoughts?
    Truths in life:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast