Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    With the header pins most LED`s are 12 volt using a 3S lipo so you only use the 2 outside pins which is 12 volts. If using 4S or higher I can see where PsyBorg is correct. I kinds forget since most of my Electric planes are 3S but most of these LED`s draw so little power I still don`t believe it would not be of much concern.

Any LEDS I have dealt with for quads were all 4.8v and feed from a 5v circuit. If you only used a few of them specially the programmable ones you would have to put a diode in line to drop the voltage to allow them to talk properly. Usually the 12v leds were more like "Head lamps" then decorations type last I was messing with them.

I know the varying types of 2812 5v leds can draw anywhere from 33.5 ma to 45 ma each which adds up fast. I just read up a bit and saw that the 12v ones are pulling ~20 ma which comes out to 2 amps per 100 leds. So do the math and see how much your going to pull on average and decide how many and what voltage LEDS you wish to run. Use your head when designing alight system and pay close attention to how you are powering them so you dont make issues for yourself.
    BILLS LAW: Bills Law specifically states that it covers ANYTHING that Murphy may have forgot, omitted, or plain didn't know in the first place. There fore if it can happen it WILL happen to ME.

Psyborg FPV You Tube channel.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC88...L6-KC9qTa2LgVA

Posted a thousand or more times French's Avatar
    Psy, most led strips are 12V as they use repeating sections of 3 LEDs in series. That’s why you can only cut the strips in certain sections.

Snow is Coming
    PsyBorg's referring to the addressable LED strips such as these, that do have a 5V voltage requirement: http://a.co/3Pobte3

Those RGB strips you're referring to are not individually addressable, but rather turn the whole strip to different colors.

On multirotors, the addressable strips are used to make fancy turn signals, flight mode indicators, arm/disarm indicators, etc.
    KC1CHR

Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    Psy, most led strips are 12V as they use repeating sections of 3 LEDs in series. That’s why you can only cut the strips in certain sections.

In many ways, both you and Psy are right. In Psy's case, he is talking about 2812 which are addressable LEDs. These are very nifty as every LED can have a different color but they require a special controller to use (though almost all multirotor Flight Controllers have this ability but you can get a LED controller for these LEDs or create your own using Arduino or other similar micro-controllers).

For the 2812, yes, they will only work on a 5V source (+ or - about 0.5V) but they do come in strips very similar to the ones French is talking about. However, I do think that the 2812 addressable LEDs are not the most common version of LED strips and are a bit more expensive (at least twice the price).

The LEDs French is talking about either come as a single color or have the ability to change color (as the ones in French's picture show). These LEDs usually only work with 12V (+ or - about 1V) though I have a couple 24V strips (I just need a 6S plane to put them on). In many ways, the LEDs French is describing are easier to use, especially if you do not care about having the ability for the lights to change color in flight.
    Last edited by bitogre; 01-10-2018 at 08:09 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2