• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Question Should I get the Turnigy 9X or 9XR?

I currently have a Hobbyking 6ch Transmitter that I got for around $25. It works great but my dad is starting to get into the hobby and so I think we will both be getting a higher end Tx and use the HK 6ch as a spare/extra.

We are both beginners. I have a few planes and just fly line-of-sight but I would like to someday fly with an FPV setup. My dad will soon have a plane and also wants to get a 3D heli eventually.

What would I benefit from getting the 9XR? Would just the 9X fulfill all my needs. Why would I want to be able to choose my own module and is it worth the extra cost? I don't quite understand the whole concept of a module...why don't they have that built in?

Thanks guys!

Propaganda machine
    On modular radios, the module contains the radio transmitter. The base unit is pretty much a computer that tells the radio transmitter in the module what to say to the receiver. Different modules provide options for different transmission protocols (kind of like the language that the radios speak), different transmission power levels (how loud it speaks) and what bandwidth it uses (I can't think of an analogy for this).

The choice between the 9X and 9XR is really up to you. The 9XR comes pre-loaded with better firmware than the 9X, but the other than that and the plastics, they're the same radio.
    Never argue with an idiot... They'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience

I have a 9x, and from what I have heard, the the 9xr is is not manufactured quite as nicely, a little more chintzy, but comes with the the better software and the backlight for about $30 more.
    "reading is for stupid"

I have the 9X and have upgraded the firmware to make it an ER9X. In my opinion, the stock programming in the 9X is horrible and completely kills a great radio. After upgrading the firmware I love it. It does more than I'll ever need it to do and is reasonably easy to program (if you take the time to learn). Personally, I don't like the look of the 9XR and would go through the effort of upgrading the 9X before I'd buy the 9XR. The 9X has a long history and is a more known commodity.

Very helpful guys, thanks! My main worry was that if I got the 9X then I would regret not being able to change/upgrade my module down the road. But it sounds like that shouldn't really be a problem, right? Can the 9X use a lipo like the 9XR does? because that seems like a pretty handy feature.

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
    VERY Rural Texas, also a Bermuda Triangle of Jurisdictions where everything is legal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham_Sammiches View Post
    Very helpful guys, thanks! My main worry was that if I got the 9X then I would regret not being able to change/upgrade my module down the road. But it sounds like that shouldn't really be a problem, right? Can the 9X use a lipo like the 9XR does? because that seems like a pretty handy feature.
    9X and 9XR modules are both switchable EASILY! Removal of the original 9X module does require desoldering or cutting the antenna lead, after that modules (with external antennas) just plug in and go.

Yes my 9X is powered by LIFe. ANY electronic device can use ANY battery of the correct voltage range.

The 9XR is just the 9X blinged out with the Open Source hardware and software developments that came from the 9X.
    (mainly.....LED Display Back lighting and a provision to flash the main board.

BUT the 9X MUST be flashed with the ER9X firmware for model equivalency in function.

Personally I like the 9X "shell" much more than the 9XR.

Thurmond
    The best way to avoid Sin Burn
    is with SON screen.
    Beware of the many counterfeit products
    being offered. Only the real product works!
    The only place to get it is found in the New Testament!
    Study it DAILY! Sin Burn last FOREVER!
    PM for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
    9X and 9XR modules are both switchable EASILY! Removal of the original 9X module does require desoldering or cutting the antenna lead, after that modules (with external antennas) just plug in and go.

Yes my 9X is powered by LIFe. ANY electronic device can use ANY battery of the correct voltage range.

The 9XR is just the 9X blinged out with the Open Source hardware and software developments that came from the 9X.

BUT the 9X MUST be flashed with the ER9X firmware for model equivalency in function.

Thurmond
    I went with the LiFe battery as well. MUCH better than the brick of AA cells and a better option than a LiPo in the radio. Upgrading the 9X isn't necessarily fast or easy, but it is worth it for the final product. My dad needs a new radio and I'm probably going to set up an ER9X for him.

Both good radios.

If you want anything but the stock firmware on the 9X, you need a smartieparts board, or be prepared to do some fine soldering.

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...7d3aca378daa29

The 9XR also includes backlighting, which is DIY for the 9X.

If you don't want the Flysky system on the 9X, you need to install a new module.

If you have a bit more money, and some patience, consider the Frsky Taranis. Price just announced in Toledo, and it is going to be a super system. I've got both a 9X and 9XR, but I'm jumping on this one as soon as its released.

http://www.frsky-rc.com/NewProducts/

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1866206

Quote Originally Posted by Tritium View Post

Thurmond
    By "flash" do you mean like install new software? What's wrong with the original software and what is model equivalency?
    I didn't realize I could replace the module on the 9X! Could I maybe get a link to what battery you are talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by robschonk View Post
    Both good radios.

If you want anything but the stock firmware on the 9X, you need a smartieparts board, or be prepared to do some fine soldering.

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...7d3aca378daa29

The 9XR also includes backlighting, which is DIY for the 9X.

If you don't want the Flysky system on the 9X, you need to install a new module.
    What is the Flysky system? Is it a good module?

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
    VERY Rural Texas, also a Bermuda Triangle of Jurisdictions where everything is legal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham_Sammiches View Post
    By "flash" do you mean like install new software?
    Yes.

What's wrong with the original software and what is model equivalency?

Original (Software) "firmware" is NOT very intuitive or user friendly.

Model Equivalency 9X = 9XR functionally.

I didn't realize I could replace the module on the 9X!
    Yes Module is interchangeable with several "JR" style modules.

Could I maybe get a link to what battery you are talking about?
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tter_Pack.html

or

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...utaba_JR_.html

LiFe:
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...4_TX_Pack.html

What is the Flysky system? Is it a good module?
    FrSky, Get them here best price I have found:

http://www.alofthobbies.com/jr-transmiter-telemetry-module.html

Thurmond
    Last edited by Tritium; 04-09-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: corrected alofthobbies link
    The best way to avoid Sin Burn
    is with SON screen.
    Beware of the many counterfeit products
    being offered. Only the real product works!
    The only place to get it is found in the New Testament!
    Study it DAILY! Sin Burn last FOREVER!
    PM for details.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast