Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: "Bug" DLG

I just found this thread not knowing that the Bug is a very common and well tested plane. I had intended to make mine an HLG but Craftydan has me thinking about the DLG version. I've built balsa before so I do know some stuff but I'm in the middle of this build and this would be my first DLG. What should I know?

I'm working with the original HLG plans that are hosted on Outerzone and just found the plans on page 3 of this threaad for the x-tail version. I've finished the fuselage and haven't put any glass or reinforcement on it at all. I also haven't placed any electronics although I do have them purchased.

My questions come down to reinforcement and how to build it so it can handle the lateral stresses of DLG launches. I'm planning to build the tail out of 3/32 balsa with .75 oz glass on both sides of all surfaces. I also plan to do a spring-pull setup for the control surfaces. How should I mount these so that the don't rip off on the first throw? Should I do something other than 3/32 glassed balsa?

How do I mount a blade or peg in the wing tip so that it doesn't rip out? Does it go at the end of the carbon spar? Should I modify the wing build to account for the launch stresses?

I think that's all of my questions to this point. Thanks for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by TexMechsRobot View Post
    I just found this thread not knowing that the Bug is a very common and well tested plane. I had intended to make mine an HLG but Craftydan has me thinking about the DLG version. I've built balsa before so I do know some stuff but I'm in the middle of this build and this would be my first DLG. What should I know?
    Make sure the boom is stiff enough (I used the front half of a Goodwinds boom that starts at 1/4" and tapers to something...smaller). I wouldn't go with a pultruded boom--been there, done that.

Also make sure the wing join is wrapped with glass cloth. A lot of strength for minimal material is available if you do that.

Also, you need to wander through these threads:
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ck-the-Bug-DLG
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ni-DLG-1-meter

I'm working with the original HLG plans that are hosted on Outerzone and just found the plans on page 3 of this threaad for the x-tail version. I've finished the fuselage and haven't put any glass or reinforcement on it at all. I also haven't placed any electronics although I do have them purchased.
    Reinforce the fuselage by coating the entire exterior of the balsa with a layer of 1/2 oz glass cloth. Use epoxy for this, just as you would for the wing. Do not use too much epoxy--just enough to fully wet out the glass.

My questions come down to reinforcement and how to build it so it can handle the lateral stresses of DLG launches. I'm planning to build the tail out of 3/32 balsa with .75 oz glass on both sides of all surfaces. I also plan to do a spring-pull setup for the control surfaces. How should I mount these so that the don't rip off on the first throw? Should I do something other than 3/32 glassed balsa?
    1/16" C grain balsa for the tail surfaces, as light as you can get it; no glass cloth needed on the tail unless you want a very small amount on the bottom of the vertical stab for scuff resistance. Hence the need to use a 1s 300-350 for your power supply. Keep the nose and the tail light. Slide the rx and battery around to set the CG, only adding weight if that doesn't get you there.

Look up pull-spring methods on rcgroups. I think there are a couple of examples in the MiMi thread. You don't need anything stronger than .015" wire on this model, especially if using 5 gram servos, which is what I used on mine. I could have gone lighter...

Remember that the control horn for the rudder goes on the opposite side from the throwing peg. Very important. Use a blade rather than a peg for throwing. A carbon strip .015-.020" thick and 1/2" wide cut to about 1 1/2" long makes a great throwing peg for starting out (round the corners off for extra comfort). If you use a carbon tube you'll quickly learn how uncomfortable they are. I used 1/64" plywood for the wingtip reinforcing for the peg. Worked great. My blade was actually only .010" thick and withstood full power launches without incident (I throw hard enough that I've broken wings and tailbooms of small DLG's).

As mentioned, I throw quite hard; the final Bug version I showed in this thread flew without incident once I switched to the tapered boom I mentioned. This model taught me the art of DLG and remained a satisfying flier until I sold it last year. I got a couple of additional offers high enough that I really should consider building and selling these.

One final though: I covered the wing with polyspan and heat shrunk it. This produced a fantastically rigid wing. It does provide a launch advantage over a plastic covered wing because of the extra rigidity. The end result is a model that is competitive against many of the lower end two channel composite DLG's in this size range.
    J&H Aerospace - home of the rocketplanes!

Thanks for the help.

I have no idea if the boom I bought is pultruded. The plans recommended 3/16" carbon fiber tube and I picked up a piece at my LHS.

Regarding using epoxy for the glass cloth: I picked up some 20 minute epoxy and Craftydan mentioned that I should thin it 50:50 with 100% alcohol so I plan to do this. Is any compression required when I glass the fuselage or can I just wrap it, soak it, squeegee, and let it dry?

Will using oil based minwax on the tail surfaces prevent warping? I can't seem to locate any c-grain balsa at my LHS so I need to make my a-grain rigid enough.

Do you put the 1/64" ply on top and bottom of the wingtip? Do you cover the whole wingtip or just the immediate area around the blade?

I seem to be failing to take pictures lol. I have the right wing pretty much done but I didn't purchase a long enough carbon tube for the spars so I have to wait for it to arrive at my LHS (next Wednesday). I did get the nose cone built and shaped and I have laid the 0.75 oz glass with 20 minute epoxy thinned with 99% alcohol. It's drying now and taking it's sweet time. I also cut out the fin and stabilizer from 1/16" A-grain balsa and coated both side with a thin layer of oil based minwax. I'll probably glass the bottom leading edge of the fin as suggested to help with landing damage.

I'm also going to have to locate the .020" carbon strip for the blade and I think my LHS will come to the rescue again there. My plan is to use 1/64" ply to reinforce the tip top and bottom as suggested. I have some Solite that I plan to use to cover the wing. I've never used it before and I think this is a pretty good application to try it on. My goal is to have it flight ready by the 25th when I go visit my dad. He's get a kick out of it if the weather cooperates. He lives on a small hill that faces a bay and frequently has 10 mph winds directly into the hill. You can watch the seagulls and bald eagles hovering in place about 30-60' above the rise as the slope soar like experts. I'd like to see what this can do in that situation.

I'll post pictures at some point :-)

So here are some pictures.

Lemon Rx 6ch lite receiver and battery choice.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2164.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	695.3 KB 
ID:	82426

I have no idea what this port is for. Any ideas?

Name:	IMG_2166.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	455.2 KB 
ID:	82427

I decided to put a strip of .75 oz glass on each side of the hinges for the rudder and elevator. I had cut them before I made the decision to do this.

Name:	IMG_2168.JPG 
Size:	593.1 KB 
ID:	82428

A couple of shots of the fuselage.

Name:	IMG_2170.JPG 
Size:	547.0 KB 
ID:	82429

Name:	IMG_2172.JPG 
Size:	529.2 KB 
ID:	82430

I can't finish the wing until I get the .125 carbon tube and .020 carbon sheet for the blade. I won't get those until Wednesday at the soonest.

Name:	IMG_2174.JPG 
Size:	669.0 KB 
ID:	82431

Name:	IMG_2176.JPG 
Size:	687.3 KB 
ID:	82432
    Last edited by TexMechsRobot; 02-17-2017 at 01:08 AM.

Hostage Taker of Quads Craftydan's Avatar
    Hey Tex,

Beautiful work so far

The port on the RX is for connecting up a Satellite for diversity -- overkill on something like a Bug, but you can ignore it.

So I see you're glassing the hingelines . . . what's the plan for the hinge material?
    Crafty Dan
    -<-' ~~~

I was just going to use blenderm tape. I have enough wood to redo them and am already considering it. You recommended glassing over rip stop and it seems like that would be pretty strong. Thoughts?

Thanks. I'll ignore it.

You people that have a neat workspace make me sick. There's just something not right about that.

Nice plane by the way. The 3/16" tube for the boom should work well initially, and you'll be able to learn on it. Once you learn to throw good and hard you'll find yourself wanting to retrofit it with a stronger (and probably lighter) boom.
    J&H Aerospace - home of the rocketplanes!

Thanks! .020 carbon fiber sheet seems really thin for a launching blade. Did I read your post correctly or am I missing something?

The only carbon strips I could find were .019" thick by .118" wide. I cut cut two 1.5" lengths and then put them side by side to get the size I need. Would this work? What's the best way of fixing them to each other so they form flat blade? I could see epoxy and wrapping them in fiber glass may do the trick. Thoughts? Should I just buy a ready made blade?

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast