FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Good to know I'm not alone. Ours are boxer/hound mixes in the 70 pounds each range - they take up a lot more room

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I think Ohio has passed its bad weather to the rest of the world lol. It’s been great here for the last couple of weeks. We had one really bad storm then that was it. Not it’s 60-70 and little to no wind. Unfortunately I can’t fly however because I dropped my old reliable charger. I guess it’s a sign since I needed a new one anyways.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Was a totally awesome day here. I got booted out of my apartment at 9 am so the extermintors could do the building after another resident was evicted. Seems they brought cock roaches and bed bugs with their nasty selves when they came. anyway I went out to fly since I could not sit in the house.

I flew the Gremlin, the Alien, and Taz before I was able to come back inside. It was hot and I got some sunburn so what better way to do a video then playing along withthe song Red Hot by Motley crue with some flight footage added in to mix my favorite hobbies.

Ya might wanna watch it soon before its blocked as some POS keeps reporting all my crappy guitar playing videos I have put up in the last year.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Today I made my UMX Timber look better. At least I think it looks better now. :D

20180521_112616-1280x720.jpg

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Assembled a gopro3 pan tilt off of thingiverse
IMG_20180519_135140.jpg IMG_20180519_135725.jpg

I installed the eachine pro58 divirsity unity in my fatshark base sd's
IMG_20180520_085717.jpg

Setup the aileron's on my F-100. 4mm carbon rods epoxied into the threaded ends.
IMG_20180521_062812.jpg

and got a flight in on the seaduck
IMG_20180520_114539.jpg

Also it was national whisky day, so did some of that...not a bad weekend.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
High-ish winds at Baylands this weekend. Flew the Diamonds with Dan. Slow up the field and float then rip down the field - Repeat. Nice vid by Tim.

DamoRC
That was a really nice video. Those things display great up in the air. The rolls are awesome. Do you guys usually get together every weekend? Been meaning to come and fly with the discover rc guys, need to come your way sometime too.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
That was a really nice video. Those things display great up in the air. The rolls are awesome. Do you guys usually get together every weekend? Been meaning to come and fly with the discover rc guys, need to come your way sometime too.

That would be cool!.

I am there most Sundays in the morning but there are guys there on Saturdays as well. Pretty much any day of the week you'll find someone flying something there. We are heading into Summer Softball so I am going to be a little limited during June / July on weekends when I am with my daughter for tournaments. Just let me know when you are thinking of coming down.

DamoRC

Namactual

Elite member
Those really look like fun. Again, great job on those Damo.(y)

If I can ever get caught up on my projects I would love to build one myself.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Well Yesterday, (wednesday our time), I went to the field as usual and had a rather uneventful day but as is the usual case I do watch others fly their planes as well. My thing I did was to see a new, (Huge), Radian nose dive at full power into the ground vertically.

Whilst that in itself is not unusual the cause was! The unfortunate chap had a new and expensive setup and was using a new Spectrum DX?? and he was flying better than usual, (a pilot in training), when the Transmitter just cut out completely and without warning.

Later it was noted that the transmitter battery was dead flat. He swore that he had charged it the night previous and it had performed flawlessly for a previous number of flights the same morning. Upon examination the battery was not just flat but totally open circuit!

The 2S battery inside the battery pack had obviously had a failure possible even a failure in the inter-cell connection in the battery pack.

How do you predict this type of failure?

Have fun!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I mowed the flying field in preparation for the long weekend, well attempted too... till I got too close to one of the stakes holding the port-o-jon down....
Screenshot from 2018-05-23 14-18-21.png

Little did I know, there was blue goo in the tires that matches the bloo goo in the portolet. =-O

Unfortunately, Blue goo is no match for a sidewall gouge in a dry-rotted tire.... and it rapidly deflated my attempts.

Fortunately someone had a hitch mounted tire changer and we were able to swap it out. :)
Screenshot from 2018-05-23 14-22-43.png

So now we can all RC on nice short grazzz again! :-D

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I went out yesterday and today. Still need to look thru todays footage to see if there is anything worthy of posting. Yesterday however did give me something to be happy about with the Alien. Tested out some new pvc pipe gates recently and they are like bill boards compared to the tiny half hoop I been practicing with. The white makes em stand out in the FPV feed better too so thast a huge plus for being able to hold speed when flying.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Worked a bit on refinishing my big LX B-25 today. Since I am going to try to replicate Miss Mitchell, I wanted a bare metal finish. So, I picked up some aluminum tape from the hardware store and started to cover it panel by panel. So far, only have the outer wing panel done

Attachments

• 4D172329-A9BC-47C3-BD24-3DCC211EA29A.jpeg
    4D172329-A9BC-47C3-BD24-3DCC211EA29A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 17CD648A-26B6-46AC-A834-00EA7436AFC3.jpeg
    17CD648A-26B6-46AC-A834-00EA7436AFC3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
My VG-33 is going to have a tribalde prop and good luck on finding a spinner for that so I decided to quickly CAD and print one as a test to see how they work.
DSC_8960.JPG

DSC_8961.JPG

It is relatively simple as you can see, can work with a standard prop adapter which is great and takes like 20 minutes total to print at this size.

I tested it at like 14k rpm straight out of the printer with no balancing too and it went fairly smooth.

The noise is probably from air rushing out, I might try to fix that. I will make a better parametric version too.

Also, I have been playing a lot of war thunder lately and I kinda want to make a cardboard/foamboard Yak 3 as it is a fairly simple plane. We all know im not really into this kind of construction methods anymore but it is a nice plane and it would be nice if peoples could build it (unlike my foam models)

Last edited: