Smoking and stuttering motor. (Help!!!)

Tannerman04

My ESC has never smoked or anything yet the motor will stutter for around 7 seconds then will beep and stop. I have tried taking the screws out of the motor but still have the same problem. I also attached the same motor to a different esc on my quad and it worked fine. Lastly, I tried to calibrate the esc's on my quad (without the screws in the motor), and the motor started smoking. Is it a bad esc?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Could be a bad esc or it could be you had a screw go far enough into the windings it squashed the wires or even rubbed the coating from them causing a huge change in resistance in one phase.

Since you moved the motor to a different esc though and it worked fine I think we can safely assume the esc is not working properly.

commander777

My first quad I had motor screws in to far and burnt out a few escs. It did stutter like you explained and I got shorter screws but it still damaged the the motor perminately. It wasn't the esc so this may or may not help.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Jittery motors are often caused by a poor solder connection between the ESC and the motor. Out of phase motors, jitter.

If you see jitters, don't push it. The result is often smoke from the motor or ESC.

Once a motor starts smoking it's probably toast.