Is FliteTest going downhill?

gibby mcfender

RC pilot, Private pilot
As long as they keep cool new plans and kits coming, I'm happy :) The fact that they released the Triplane makes me think it's possible we may get some Axis side warbirds at some point. Would LOVE that!
Even as a private pilot, I enjoy the RC plane content more than the full scale (although the F-16 video was UNREAL!!).
Lastly, looking forward to hearing/seeing more of this new Spektrum radio that came out...

RMDC

Except for the $pektrum partnership thing that was announced to big fanfare last year. From what I have seen it either completely fizzled out, or was succesfull in a behind the scenes way - in which case why was there a big to-do on the announcement?

There was a podcast last month about the new Spektrum iPad Kindle Nook. Having already invested in FrSky, it wasn't pressing news for me, but the podcast kept me company anyway on an early Sunday morning at work. There's definitely stuff going on behind the scenes; I get the feeling we'll see more results from the partnership in the future.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Also, here is that video for anyone who wants or has not seen it! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmeWvRFg--s

Stefan

Thank you!!

This is my favorite FT video of the past year!! :applause:

Now PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do something like this every month! It helps inspire us too, and celebrates some amazing creations that we wouldn't otherwise know about. (I only knew about 3 of the 12 - and I consider myself pretty active in online RC stuff)

So again, Thank You!! :applause:

Fireflyer

Seems to me like they are still putting things out just more in the form of product on the store and improving existing products. Which is also time consuming and doesn't show change as visually as new plans and build videos. It does bring us better products and there for better experience as end users. They have also been incorporating designs from the community not just in foamies but in air frames for multi rotors as well. Along with all the logistical aspects from manufacturing ,packaging,shipping, add all the employees to flitetest and there is a whole world of things that they have to do in regards to running the business : meetings,training employees, creating policy for those employees , various insurance , and licensing among a long,long list. Lets not forget about planing future Flitefest event and the logistics that involves, continuing show episodes, podcast,blogs ,vlogs, and this very forum. Flitetest is a fast growing business with many challenges. I'm sure things will slow for a period of time then jump by leaps and bounds . Adding a golf course setup to be a destination of flight . I don't think they are slowing down at all maybe a slow pause to grow faster.

Josh Bixler is a modern day Burt Rutan or Paul Poberezny what he,his wife, and Flitetest family are doing for model rc flight and aviation is amazing. One day this will be realized by more than just our community.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I'll say this:

Flite Test might be having a lull. Nothing big, just kind of a slowdown as they're gearing up for the next big events and builds.

They seem to go in spurts of info - I see a lot of full scale aviation taking place lately, with the Red Bull and F-16 stuff; previous to that, they had some build and training reference videos, and before that, I remember seeing stuff about paramotoring, prior to Flight Fest South. I think it's just what's coming around in interest and timing on their part.

The full scale stuff isn't my cup of tea; I'm not against it, it's just not what I myself am interested in. I know there's a lot of future full scale pilots out there, and, based on my current RC club, a lot of retired full scale pilots. :) When they asked me if I ever wanted to do full scale, I told them, "Um...I prefer to keep my feet on the ground. If I have to fly somewhere, I like it when a professional pilot does it for me." :) I've crashed too many times with the foamies and drones to want to try and do it in the real world.

basslord1124

Master member
Dunno if it was just coincidence that you had this thread and its discussions about community and design AND then FT releasing their recent video of community DIY projects and then followed by a recent Twitter tweet of "Want to design? Start by modifying planes!" :)

I do agree with rockyboy in that, to me, Flitetest provides a good introduction into the DIY approach to foamboard planes. Really modifying is something that anyone who gets into RC planes will learn over time anyways. Not just DIY, but even RTF models where maybe you know that maybe brand xxx uses some crappy components, weak glue joints, brittle control horns, etc.

When I first got back into RC planes about 3 years ago I had no idea this type of DIY concept existed. I knew there were some guys who would construct balsa planes from scratch but knew nothing of anyone using foam, foamboard, etc. Until I discovered Flitetest. So I totally appreciate these guys bringing that into focus so I can experience RC flight without breaking the bank. And to also keep the DIY aspect there as well. I consider myself to be a combination of new and old generation...not completely full on lazy but I enjoy tinkering and building too. And really there is even so much more beyond what FT has done...check out the Foamies Scratchbuilt section of RCGroups.

As far as the youtube content goes, here's my 2 cents...

-I, of course, loooooove the foamboard plane videos...whether it's a build or just showcasing a new design. But that's understandable I am partial to those videos.
-Quads/drones... been slow with getting into quads/drones. Don't really watch every quad/drone episode but have watched some. I see nothing wrong with keeping these videos since quads/drones have a huge market nowadays.
-Vlog videos...I am kinda "meh" with the vlog videos. Some are good, some not so much. I generally prefer the normal content over vlogs.
-Full Scale Aviation - I think it's cool that they had added this content in there as well. I don't mind watching the full scale stuff from time to time. And maybe this is wishful thinking on my part, but I kinda hope that this type of content would paint a better picture to our government officials and the FAA that us RC folks and drone operators are not a public nuisance. That we can share a good relationship with each other. Of course I understand too, that an idiot will do what an idiot wants to do. :rolleyes: Also, I thought Bixler's video on his Pietenpol was awesome!

I kinda feel that the store and what they offer hasn't changed or "gone downhill" but I do think their youtube content has changed up quite a bit. Not gone down hill, but just different. Looks like they're just wanting to try some different avenues to see what else works for them and the community. They've really got quite an arsenal of foamboard planes anyways so I can understand them trying some new ideas. I do go by what I said earlier though...I think maybe 1 new design a year is a pretty attainable goal. And as long as they don't go to full on crazy, I'll continue to support them. :D

Earl Turner

Looks like I picked the right year to stumble across flite-test - was searching for a Pietenpol & a Cub - had I done that a year ago, I wouldn't have gotten into this - great designs.

Liam B

As of late, I think products are being pushed more often than usual. And I don’t think that’s anyone at FT’s fault, I think it’s their parent company’s fault.

Maybe their parent company Lauren International is struggling? Just a thought :)

UCChris

MO Flight Crew
10 planes in a year is essentially one plane every 5 weeks.

1 week to brainstorm and get a rough idea
1 week to build and fly the prototype
2 weeks of RD and tweaking
1 week of finalizing the plans and speed build kits

That would mean around the clock plane creation. As others have touched on, FT has grown and has way more going on now than they did in past years.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I believe that Flitetest is becoming a victim of their own success!

As with the old style model shop that tried to stock what their customers needed only to find out that what their customers needed and what they wanted were totally different.

It appears that FT has stuck to the original FB design formula keeping other exotic materials like CF and 3D printed pieces out of their designs. This is great for the beginner constructor but as the clientele mature in experience they start seeking other building experiences and more elaborate designs.

At the same time they take very little input from outside sources as they have a store inventory to maintain in a manageable form. Their use of resources is quite good for a closed business but they have other resources which at this time are not realised.

The Mentors from around the globe are rather experienced and many do their own designs as well as building the basic FT designs. A simple use for the Mentors could be as a random design bureau for the odd design subject to it complying with the materials requirements of the current FT design policy, Perhaps as a design submission or request feature, voluntary of course!

Mentors could also be used to beta test designs and often in FB types available in different parts of the globe with any required changes suggested related to the materials used in each location. Again, voluntary of course!

Just my thoughts!

Have fun!

Tench745

Master member
I was just watching the newest FT episode, How To Fly Your Dragon, and I was struck by something. I miss Chad Kapper. So many of his videos were just that much more interesting visually than the current content. Somehow his directing style took something kinda-cool and made it awesome. The dragon sparrows were neat, but when watching it I was bored. I can't help but feel that if Chad was still around for this one it would've been so much cooler.

UCChris

MO Flight Crew
I was just watching the newest FT episode, How To Fly Your Dragon, and I was struck by something. I miss Chad Kapper. So many of his videos were just that much more interesting visually than the current content. Somehow his directing style took something kinda-cool and made it awesome. The dragon sparrows were neat, but when watching it I was bored. I can't help but feel that if Chad was still around for this one it would've been so much cooler.

I kind of agree. Chad was like Bixler, in that he is very smart and technical. The new guys are awesome, fun, and pretty smart, but it's not the same.

daxian

Elite member
hi all ..
just a quick post ...
to point out that ,in the early days you could find things a lot easier than you can today ...
builds vids, plans, mostly in "all articles" thread .... now you need to have half a dozen apps /sites /threads and so on to find the same content ...facebook twitter twitch and heaven knows what other sites ...come on guys !!
i understand the need to reach a bigger audience ,but really !!

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
The build vids have been moved to a different channel, because they hurt statistics (viewer retention) which results in Youtube promoting the channel less.

While I agree, that the production value of the videos has dropped, it is probably linked to the number of videos and all the other things they are working on now. I feel that Chad was able to invest more time into planning and the videos themselves, while nowadays it's more about "going out and having fun".

I am not sure why you are struggling to find things though. They are usually all linked in the video description and with the new forum, the resources will help too hopefully.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Ehh...Chad was Chad. He had a certain flavor; he added it to Rotor Riot.

I still like what I see here. The fact that I had literal strangers engaged in Flite Test when I mentioned building a flying IKEA chair, or that they went on to learn about the Lil Tykes flying car? I think Flite Test still has it. They’re showing people some of the things that can be done, showing the modifications for parts (like the recent vid about 3D printing camera mounts, or control horns), and just bringing the fun of RC hobbies to the masses who would balk at $1000 for a plane, batteries, transmitter, charger, etc., in addition to the thought that they’re going to kill their first plane in a crash the first time they fly it.

Russtynailz

I got started with Flite Test when David was around, I really enjoyed the "fun" they had and today I still really enjoy the fun they are having. Not to mention really enjoying the FT viggen. (Built 3) it is an awesome plane and I'm looking forward to building the X29 at Flite Fest this year.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Yeah David really knew how to throw gasoline on the BBQ...

I think the technical quality of FT is better but it's not as scripted, professional as it used to be. I think the piloting skills, assembly skills and resources of the team have vastly improved.

I think the tone has changed to some extent where they used to be poor with just a little patch of sky to fly in.

Now they can afford to smack two new wings into a big, inflatable gate and not worry that their wife is gonna ask about the money when your new plane comes home busted. It was fun to see, but I wouldn't want to make that mistake myself too often.

A $3 P51 mini mustang getting smacked is one thing. It's quite another to smoke an $80 wing or a 300 hour balsa project on the first day out.

I also think there was a change when Peter blew up a Star Destroyer with a 'warp drive'. It still makes me smile. I suspect someone got a bit cautious after that and set some additional rules. I don't know for sure, but I thought I noticed a change after that.

The paragliders were cool, the $1000 carbon fiber gliders and quad copters are fun to watch. David smacking his Bat Bone into the ground after setting the rates on his KK2 to 200 and flipping it, was priceless, partly because he could fix it and partly because so too could any of us.

No one, of course, was going to fix that Star Destroyer but I suspect all the electronics were salvaged.

There is something for everyone here. I kinda like that. Folks here fly $5,000 Inspires or build a 300+ hour Bugatti or fly with $.99 of foam and $35 in electronics. For all the diversity here we don't seem to have the tribalization issues some other RC Groups can have. I think this is a reflection of the character of the show.

As the guys experiment they take us along for the ride. Sometimes they go through topics I don't really care for but sometimes they go through topics I never realized were out there and I learn to like.

With FliteTest, if it seems like they are going downhill, they are really just building up speed for a good loop.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The only thing I see different over time as the biggest change is the episodes are way more screamy. In my head all I can picture is a tee shirt with Stefan and Alex on it that says.. My two favorite anime chicks. Big ole wide eyes and very little normal speaking. The only thing missing is them wearing one of Bardwells sarongs and leDrib's eye make up and hair color.

Other then that 99% of the information they put out to me is interesting. If anything my least favorite parts of FT are the mass produced product videos but ya gotta pay the bills some how. It is fun watching them try n do a serious review then work up to abusing the products a bit.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Crashing planes is quite often intended. On one hand it is done to show beginners that it's part of the hobby and that they shouldn't be afraid of it happening. On the other hand it tests the durability and repairability (is that a word?) of an aircraft. Both are important parts when testing a plane for us customers, the manufacturer and if it's worthy of being added to the store.

That bouncy gate is not standing at Furey Field all the time, it was transported there and inflated for a reason, I'd bet :).

As for "not being poor" anymore, I'd not say that they are rich. Josh and his wife have taken up a lot of debt to carry out his dream project of Edgewater. That little money they got with crowdfunding is all going into development afaik. It's not to pay off the "playground".

kevbospr

So I have effectively been lurking around here, including on the forums for about two years (please see my OP on an ill-conceived idea here: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/howdy-from-new-mexico.30946/). I came here after fooling around with foamies at RCPOWERS.COM, but was left unsatisfied with the nature of their builds and the fact that all the designs were jets. FT is more imaginative, clever and innovative in my opinion, and the community is more fun and willing to share. Yes, there have been less designs forthcoming recently, as resources have seemed to shift to events and acquiring a new facility: with those facts in mind, I am not at all surprised that unique new designs don't pop out as quickly as before or that there are more RTF and PNF craft available, even if creativity and innovation (to my eye) have not decreased at all. Not to be preachy, but I would remind everyone that they release their plans for FREE, unlike many places who charge. I don't have a problem paying for plans, but I find it remarkable that FT gives their intellectual property away to all and sundry, when they could easily put a price on most or all of them. At this point in my life, I cannot spend large amounts of money on a hobby; I have bought a kit or two from the store, but for the most part, I print, tape and cut: I wouldn't be able to have the fun I do on weekends, nor share the hobby with my 13yo son without FT's generosity. We can all either remember or find on Youtube different faces and voices from the past; I wish them all the best, and enjoy the current presenters equally as all who have preceeded them.

In short, I am very grateful for the way FliteTest has chosen to operate; I am content to wait for whatever can be released for free, knowing that, when the plans drop, they will be very well done and worth building. Thanks to everyone at FliteTest, take your time, and keep helping to grow the hobby!