BIG motor. Which plane?

kdobson83

Ok, so, I have this motor-
https://www.agmhobby.com/item/agm-g...hless-gt-series-motor-2300g-thrust-p-326.html
I plan on running it with a 12" prop on 3s, maybe two 2200s ran parallel. I originally bought and installed on a bluntnose versa but had serious balance issues with this huge motor and needless to say destroyed the airframe. So now I have all the electronics just laying there begging to be installed in something.

My question is which plane? I was thinking maybe the FT Spear but I'm not sure it'll have room for the big 12" prop. The Spears design shouldnt have balance issues like I did with the Bluntnose. But I see the recommended specs say 9-10" props. Keep in mind this motor is too big for the standard FT motor mount.

What FT design would this motor work on? Or community designed plane?

AcBates

scale a design you like up to the motor... wouldn't need to be much. 125% FT3D for example would be fun.

AcBates

also, 3S 2200 wouldn't need to be run in parallel (unless you want it for duration (3s 4400 equivalent)), one pack would be fine. I have motors from 3dHobbyShop (the 130g Omega) that can 3D on 3S 2200 with a 14x7 prop (with throttle management, can't be at 100% power the whole time. 3D'ers are like that :) ).

kdobson83

hmmm, id like to scale a FT plan but not sure how that works. do i need to modify the plans at all with the folds and what not?

AcBates

hmmm, id like to scale a FT plan but not sure how that works. do i need to modify the plans at all with the folds and what not?
only needs minor tweaks. Only thing to look out for is lines that are based on the thickness of the foam (the sides of an A or B fold for example), and things like wing spars (most are one or laminations of two), you'll need to nudge lines or round up or down to the nearest thickness. Many of the designs would be pretty tolerant of not being all that concerned about (particularly if you only scaled to 125% or such). 200%'s is where you need to start re-drawing thicknesses, being worried about structure, etc. There are some threads on people up-sizing plans.