New Everything

RyanP

I have been wanting to get in this hobby for the longest time now. I finally pulled the trigger and bought a bunch of Chinese stuff. I bought it cause I saw so many awesome reviews. Well it’s all crap and all I have had is issues. So basically I spent all my money on crap and now I can’t afford good stuff to actually get in the hobby. So if no one can help me I guess I will just have to bail on this hobby and do who knows what.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Plenty of ways to stay in the hobby. Origami is cheap and easy. You could prototype new plane ideas and submit them to FT. You could go to various flying fields and offer to do ground maintenance for a small fee. It keeps you in the hobby AND gives you spare cash to buy better gear. Sorry for poking fun at you mate but that introduction deserves at least a little special attention.

For general information the hobby is changing so fast now that even getting the best gear does not guarantee a no issue dive into what ever it is you wish to do. Stick it out, learn more about what you want to do and learn from previous mistakes until you can save enough money to replace parts that are not working as intended. Nothing says you have to buy all the parts at once. It takes me 8 months to a year to gather all the parts for a new build.

Its coming up on a year now I started on a goal to build a 100mph + quad. It has gone thru a ton of testing, its share of breakage a TON of learning and several parts upgrading to get to where it is now. Actually it is almost a year to the day as I started on the quest to do the build just before last years Flite Fest and just this past week I finally got it where it does the speed I want, flys stable and repeatable and nothing is getting super hot or chattering or wobbling. My guess is right about now is when something will break. Its all part of the experience of RC.

If you decide to stick with the hobby feel free to ask about any purchases before buying. I don't hesitate to say if something is good or bad as do many others. Be aware there are people who do the same go cheap thing you tried and swear by it so you will have to make choices based on their advise AND your already gained knowledge. Another thing to do when researching is find video reviews on gear then read the comments. THAT is where the truth about the product will come out once you sort thru the fan boi posts and such.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I have a bunch of Chinese stuff as well, I don't think it's a total loss as long as you realize some of the limitations...

I was having SERIOUS failures with some ESC and motor combos
UNTIL I got some great advice here in the forums.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/are-escs-consumable-items.53742/
It ended up being the BEC was overworked/heating up... Another "quick" order from China for some buck voltage regulators (I actually had a couple laying around from Arduino Projects) and my ESCs don't even get warm now.
Sure, it's a little extra work soldering/clipping wires, but I don't have planes falling out of the air anymore... well... You know... not AS often anyway... :ROFLMAO:

Maybe if you provide a little more info on what specifically your problem(s) are, we can help.

Last edited:

Namactual

Elite member
Aye, let us know what equipment you have and any trouble it might be causing and we will work something out.