Gearing up for Flite Fest 2018.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well its that time to start getting organized for the trip to Ohio. As last year was my first one I was kind of deer in the headlights for most of it and down sick for the rest hehe. (Looks over at the sandals nearly a year later that still carry Ohio mud that won't even wire brush off)

I am now prepared for that whole go go go thing that is Flite Fest but I plan to do things differently this year. Last year I volunteered and loved helping and meeting so many people. I have again volunteered and look forward to more of the same. I will however be limiting that to my scheduled shifts with maybe a little over time. I will not however be staying for double shift times as I missed out on a lot of the things happening as well as missed connecting with people here on the forums to do things we had tentatively planned on doing together.

This year I plan to spend some time down at the MGP side and get more involved with the whole race process as I really want to progress and find a way to start competing. I also have the goal of flying a full pack in a fixed wing plane if I have to launch a wing full vertical and hold max throttle til the pack dies to do so hehe.

I also want to spend some time helping people set up or build quads if they need it so I will set aside some time to do that as well. Probably more in the evenings after the flight line shuts down but still allow for some socialization that I missed out on last year after catching a cold and having to get to bed early with cold meds to survive the following days duties.

I know this is open to a very lax time schedule that FF runs on so making appointments would be unrealistic. However if you are going to FFO and need or want some help post in this thread what it is you want to do or need and I will make sure I bring proper tools to help.

I on the other hand also need help to do some of this. Sadly I have a very old laptop and that has Win XP on it and will not run any of the software to do drone set up on. So if anyone has and wouldn't mind giving me access should I need to borrow / use one on occasion to program or update peoples Flight Controllers that would be greatly appreciated. I will download the stand alone versions for KISS and Betaflight as well as the newest targets for popular Flight controllers so internet will not hold that all back.

So if someone could help me out or if you need help and want me to work with you on your setups / builds let me know below and we will confirm where to meet up and when depending on the volunteer schedules. Anyway see you all there even if you don't need my help! Maybe we can break a few props together.

Liam B

Well its that time to start getting organized for the trip to Ohio. As last year was my first one I was kind of deer in the headlights for most of it and down sick for the rest hehe. (Looks over at the sandals nearly a year later that still carry Ohio mud that won't even wire brush off)

I am now prepared for that whole go go go thing that is Flite Fest but I plan to do things differently this year. Last year I volunteered and loved helping and meeting so many people. I have again volunteered and look forward to more of the same. I will however be limiting that to my scheduled shifts with maybe a little over time. I will not however be staying for double shift times as I missed out on a lot of the things happening as well as missed connecting with people here on the forums to do things we had tentatively planned on doing together.

This year I plan to spend some time down at the MGP side and get more involved with the whole race process as I really want to progress and find a way to start competing. I also have the goal of flying a full pack in a fixed wing plane if I have to launch a wing full vertical and hold max throttle til the pack dies to do so hehe.

I also want to spend some time helping people set up or build quads if they need it so I will set aside some time to do that as well. Probably more in the evenings after the flight line shuts down but still allow for some socialization that I missed out on last year after catching a cold and having to get to bed early with cold meds to survive the following days duties.

I know this is open to a very lax time schedule that FF runs on so making appointments would be unrealistic. However if you are going to FFO and need or want some help post in this thread what it is you want to do or need and I will make sure I bring proper tools to help.

I on the other hand also need help to do some of this. Sadly I have a very old laptop and that has Win XP on it and will not run any of the software to do drone set up on. So if anyone has and wouldn't mind giving me access should I need to borrow / use one on occasion to program or update peoples Flight Controllers that would be greatly appreciated. I will download the stand alone versions for KISS and Betaflight as well as the newest targets for popular Flight controllers so internet will not hold that all back.

So if someone could help me out or if you need help and want me to work with you on your setups / builds let me know below and we will confirm where to meet up and when depending on the volunteer schedules. Anyway see you all there even if you don't need my help! Maybe we can break a few props together.

You can borrow my crappy Windows 7 laptop any day! It has all the GUI’s (I think), but it’s yours for the weekend if I remember to pack it.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Cool mate much appreciated. I will see how the list pans out for people in need of help. I will bring the newest stand alone guis for both KISS and Betaflight as well as the more common targets like the SP3evo for the gremlins and such as well as blheli configurator and blheli suite on a thumb drive just to be prepared.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Drop windows and install linux mint. Your old PC will likely run it just fine and Mint will run Chrome apps just fine.

I know it's probably too late to do this before FF, but when you get back, do yourself a favor and upgrade.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Id be happy to help you. Just have to see what the volunteer schedule comes out to be so I know what free time and when I could be available. I do have Build tent duties for sure last I knew so I could keep an eye on you then as well.

I can not speak in facts but from my experience they are fair with problems. If its something you just cant use but is still unopened I would venture st say they would at least do a store credit once you show you did get it from FT store.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Psyborg, I will have my windows tablet that runs betaflight. You are more than welcome to use that. We can put whatever programs you want on there.

Thanks TJ much appreciated mate. Like I said earlier will have to see what the volunteer schedule looks like as well as just how many people need help and for what. Litterbug said something about doing a full on quad build for him so I may try n make a set up video while at FFO when I get to that part of his build.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Drop windows and install linux mint. Your old PC will likely run it just fine and Mint will run Chrome apps just fine.

I know it's probably too late to do this before FF, but when you get back, do yourself a favor and upgrade.

I just looked and realized I downloaded mint like a year ago for when Win 7 loses support so I could do just that. Except I never got around to installing it. I think I put it off because the nightmare for driver support for video cards after I had done SOME research to prepare to port over from XP. All I do know is I should probably start learning it soon as I will never buy another Microsoft product now they are going to hostage ware.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
PsyBorg, I will be bringing my BluBaby trainer which I have setup for a wireless buddy box with any Spektrum TX (but will bring my trusty DX6i as a trainer) paired with my Taranis X9D+. Last year, I didn't get to fly it until after FliteFest was over and break down was well underway. While taking a break from breaking things down, I buddy boxed with Balu and his brother Stefan while the FliteTest guys were PPG flying around the field!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Curses to all y'all East Coasters and Texans, getting your FF this year. :) LOL

Oh well, when Flite Fest West comes around again, I'll have to volunteer for it. That's pretty much gonna be a given; I want to get into the camaraderie that everyone else is talking about with FF, and pray it helps me break my introvert shell a bit (I may be talkative and great on the forums, but I'm very quiet with people I don't know face to face)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
PsyBorg, I will be bringing my BluBaby trainer which I have setup for a wireless buddy box with any Spektrum TX (but will bring my trusty DX6i as a trainer) paired with my Taranis X9D+. Last year, I didn't get to fly it until after FliteFest was over and break down was well underway. While taking a break from breaking things down, I buddy boxed with Balu and his brother Stefan while the FliteTest guys were PPG flying around the field!

How did we miss you. JimCR120 and I were one of the last ones packing up to leave. We were also watching Josh fly the PPG while Stefan and his lovely wife kept us company as we broke camp for well over an hour. Shame we were not more familiar with each other back then and could have spent some time hanging out as well. The PPG did not sound healthy one pass on landing and josh went down below our line of site so Stefan rolled over to check on him.

We ended up talking with Mr Fury for a good hour or so at the exit where he was with the loader dumping trash. Such a cool person he is I wanna tell ya. Backs those boys 1000%. We heard stories of the boys growing up and how tight they were. If 1/10th of the worlds dads were as motivated and family solid as he is this world would be 100% better then its ever been.

@sprzout yeah mate volunteer. Meeting people is easy as they come preloaded with the starter conversation of what they need help with. After that its nerd speak and instant buddies specially when you meet someone you been yakkin with here in the forums and can finally put a face to the name. It was hard for me to hide being the only one there with a purple beard so I had no way to escape hehe this year I will be camouflaged. Its green!!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
@sprzout yeah mate volunteer. Meeting people is easy as they come preloaded with the starter conversation of what they need help with. After that its nerd speak and instant buddies specially when you meet someone you been yakkin with here in the forums and can finally put a face to the name. It was hard for me to hide being the only one there with a purple beard so I had no way to escape hehe this year I will be camouflaged. Its green!!

Green, huh? You're gonna be telling everyone you're me! LOL

Maybe next year. We'll see...I would LOVE to come out to the East, but flying coach, with lipos and radios and such...It just doesn't work out well for me. I'm the guy that gets randomly selected for extra security measures, I swear. LOL

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Just as a side note, anyone here who hasn’t heard about the Veterans Airshow going on at FFOHIO this year should really look into it. It’s a great show for a even better cause. Link to forum thread in signature.