Emax 2205 screeching

flyin201

I have a pair of Emax 2205 (red bottom) motors that I put on a flying boat I designed recently. They seem to run fine but they make this awful screeching noise. I accidentally powered them on with the mounting screws in too far initially so hopefully that didnt wreck anything. Also the brake is programmed on the esc’s so maybe thats the problem? Anybody else experience this?

Namactual

Elite member
What size props are you using? Battery cell count?

I have had motors screech with the ESC timings set too high, and with very high prop loads due to a massive overprop. If this is the case, it usually will be ok at very low throttle, but the second you try to push it, it will screech like mad.

The brake should have no effect on the motor other than stopping the prop when not under power.

flyin201

What size props are you using? Battery cell count?

I have had motors screech with the ESC timings set too high, and with very high prop loads due to a massive overprop. If this is the case, it usually will be ok at very low throttle, but the second you try to push it, it will screech like mad.

The brake should have no effect on the motor other than stopping the prop when not under power.

Using a 3s and the props are 5x4.5 3 blade, and they make that noise at low power and with no prop on at all. I’ve never heard motors do this before. Also now that I think about it, I dont have the brake programed because I ended up using different ESC’s than I originally planned, but the motors stop as if the brake is programed .

Seems unlikely but the mounting screws could still be too far in and/or they are damaged from the initial power up when the were too far in.

Namactual

Elite member
Yeah, that would not be the timing or over prop issue for sure.

It's possible they did get damaged from the screws. Sorry I could not be of more help.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I loved seeing your plane at Flite Fest!
Thanks! It was kind of chaotic putting her together in the build tent but I was pleased with the result.

The legacy is HUGE btw, i usually hang my planes on a wall and she blocks out three slots taken up by "normal" planes.

Planiac01

Thanks! It was kind of chaotic putting her together in the build tent but I was pleased with the result.

The legacy is HUGE btw, i usually hang my planes on a wall and she blocks out three slots taken up by "normal" planes.
Let me tell you about huge - I had a 15 foot wingspan glider chilling underneath my worktable up until FFE18.

Namactual

Elite member
Good deal. (y)

That is strange that a brake would do that, but now we have another thing to try when we get the screeching motors.

Thanks for the heads up.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

You say that like its a bad thing hehe;)