Red Bull Air Race Challenge!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I just might have to find time to build a Bull Rider though.(y)

Let's see if she flies first . Instead of spending time last night finishing off and preparing for painting, I had to pull all three EDFs from the plane because I could not get it to balance. So all EDFs got pulled forward and the wing had to be installed ~4 inches aft of the original position.

Pinting today - hopefully.

DamoRC

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i am going to send an email to Stefan today and get some clarification. or maybe i will just call, still waiting on my founders box. kill2 birds with 1 stone.

i have a few errands to run this am but as soon as i'm done the entire day is devoted to finishing the plane.

me :cool:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
i am going to send an email to Stefan today and get some clarification. or maybe i will just call, still waiting on my founders box. kill2 birds with 1 stone.

That would be awesome! Thanks.

It will fly. (y)The cool factor alone would overcome any aerodynamic issues it may have.

That explains why some of my uglier planes don't fly!:cool:

Aye, looking at it now after you mentioned that, I can definitely see that being an issue. Where are the batteries being stored, the nose?

Yep - right at the front edge of the fuse. At one point I had 4 x 2200mAh 4S sitting in the nose trying to balance her. Sure, she'll balance like this, but then I would be carrying a ton of extra weight. So the re-model was the best option, apart from the sinister fact that, per the online calculators, as I move the wing aft, reducing the distance between the leading edge of the wing and the horizontal stabilizer, the relative CG position on the wing moves forward! I think its all good now.

All up weight is coming in at 3lb 13 oz, and on full charge, the three EDFs are making 4lb static thrust pulling a combined ~100 amps so I should be good with 2 x 2200mAh 4S 35-70C lipos.

DamoRC

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
working away in my Mother's basement.....:D

a man your age should never post anything like that ever again. :ROFLMAO:

it has been a very good day. i just sent you a bunch of new pics of proto1. what i haven't told you yet is i got it to balance on a 3S-1800, and a 4S-850 with no worries. plenty of space. i will try and stuff 2x 2S-850's in there if i get a chance. i don't have any 5S or 6S so that's all on you.

just because i can't help myself. almost ready with a 3S prop and spinner...

20180719_155622.jpg

still a little rough. need to do some work on the upper cowl design but for being half built by 2 guys in 2 diff states, i think she looks pretty good. hoping for a graphics proof by saturday. i have proto2 sitting on the table waiting to be built with updates. maiden WILL happen tomorrow.

cross fingers!

laters,

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Team Bull Rider set to maiden Saturday. DamoRC Jnr is taking some time from his summer job in the morning to take pics and video and hopefully Tim (who takes great chase footage) will be there. One way or another there will be photographic / video graphic evidence of flight or fright.

Just the decals to do and the rider install (once he has completed his training to fly the beast).

Painted.JPG

DamoRC

b-29er

Team Bull Rider set to maiden Saturday. DamoRC Jnr is taking some time from his summer job in the morning to take pics and video and hopefully Tim (who takes great chase footage) will be there. One way or another there will be photographic / video graphic evidence of flight or fright.

Just the decals to do and the rider install (once he has completed his training to fly the beast).

View attachment 110814

DamoRC
man, you're gonna single handedly start the Red Bull Podracing circuit.

shhhhh!

My Mother is wondering what I am doing down there in the basement....
She has no concept of what foam board or hot glue is let alone the Dollar Tree store.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
so, i ran into my first few issues. :eek:

once i got all the electronics hooked up, was bound to the plan, and started testing throws, it became very clear that i did not have near enough movement on my tail surfaces. luckily i had spare servo horns and was able to stuff in a little longer. this made it "enough-ish" to fly. cross fingers. other than the Baby Bugatti that i flew the other day, this is my first real v-tail so set-up is a bit of a mystery to me. o_O

next was the spinner and the motor shaft. i thought i had a prop adapter that would allow me to use the spinner. i was wrong. on motor spin up and testing, before 25% throttle i got a horrible noise and the prop came out of balance. cut throttle and could pull prop and spinner off by hand. obviously, this was not going to work. due to the fact that i set my motor pod based upon the distance w/ the spinner, i could no longer get a prop to fit without hitting the fuselage. a little head scratching, a few feeble attempts to fix the prop adapter issue, then finally the acceptance that i need to hack some nose off.

a new razor and about 10mm makes all the diff in the word.

i strapped on a 7x6e APC, a 3S-1800, and spun it up! remember that we wanted this to fly on up to 6S, so 3S should be a pretty middle of the road test. based upon my readings, @ full throttle i was pulling 29A and 311w and i had a hard time holding onto the plane. this is not your typical FT 2205, or even 2215 motor. this thing is small, light, and full of attitude. based upon calc's i should be pulling close to 2000g in thrust in an airframe weighing 391g w/o battery. :devilish:

next is the V-tail. i'm pretty sure why there are no FT V-tail airplanes. trying to provide enough structural support, plus getting it all straight is fun to say the least. make sure you got your big boy pants on.

it's now 9 PM, and i need to be up @ 4 AM so i think enough for tonight.

cross fingers.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
well, epic fail. tail heavy, nose shot straight up on launch, then rolled hard left. i tried for a sec, then just cut throttle and down she came. landed hard on the nose, busted firewall. i think it is reparable but will take some work. if i cant get it to fly tomorrow then i will start on prototype2. i also hope to cut out a few more tomorrow on the laser as well.

20180720_084444.jpg

kinda bummed but win some, lose some. next build will be better. i am printing a new firewall which i'm hoping i can just glue to the front of the old one. pretty sure it will try to fly again but, will it succeed?

a little good news is the Baby Bugatti flew today much better than before. i moved the CG way forward from what is "recommended" and now it is almost always controllable. still has one issue but i'm thinking once again i need to move CG just a touch forward. each time i have done so it has only made it better. kinda makes me wonder on our racer CG? these v-tails fly a little diff, glad i happen to have just built this BB to help me get some stick time.

laters,

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Sorry to hear that you had issues but glad it was a prototype and you gained some valuable info.

Did you use an online calculator that can account for a v-tail when determining the CG?

DamoRC