Help! Help with a bushwacker

TheRedGamerFPV

So i flew my bushwacker a few times with some rough rough landings and the landing gear broke the little things on the wire slipped to the side and the glue ripped off the fusalague so the board that the landing gear is attached to snapped at a spot and it went 90 degrees and so now i need a fix please help

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Glue it all back together!
Provide a pic or 2 of the damage for a more exact procedure.

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Any time you can as we will answer what we can when we can.

Have fun (and a good flight)!

TheRedGamerFPV

Ill link to a link only youtube vid so i can show detail instead of just pics or low res video and well i also will ask you or others a little help with flying because this is my first big plane (small ones had 1 ft wingspan) and im having a little trouble with landing and taking off and this isy second or third hobby aside from gaming and quad racing and freestyle so any tip for to or landing is helpful thanks

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
practice, practice, and um...what was it? oh ya, practice. go to the field and do nothing but touch and goes for a battery or two. there just is no replacement for actually practicing.

you may also want to look at your setup. on my bushwacker i have to mix elevator with throttle, and elevator with flaps. if i don't it balloons up, or wants to stall. once i got the programing right, it lands perfectly slow w/ or w/o flaps. very similar to the simple cub, another great "touch and go" airplane.

good luck,

me :cool:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Ill link to a link only youtube vid so i can show detail instead of just pics or low res video and well i also will ask you or others a little help with flying because this is my first big plane (small ones had 1 ft wingspan) and im having a little trouble with landing and taking off and this isy second or third hobby aside from gaming and quad racing and freestyle so any tip for to or landing is helpful thanks
The most common issues with taking off, (I still do it myself sometimes), is to advance the throttle too fast and then take off too soon, Result is normally almost uncontrollable swerving and then a almost uncontrollable plane as it leaps into the air, (often with a roll and crash)

Solution is to use enough throttle to get it moving and then slowly advance the throttle as it gains speed, (steering it in a straight line into the wind at the same time). Do not pull back on the elevator until the plane is going quite fast and in most cases the plane will lift off by itself without your input. With sufficient speed all controls will work well as designed.

For landing you must first understand that the plane is designed to fly and does not require a great deal of control input when landing. If you reduce speed and keep the wings level it will be easy to line up on the runway. Even with flaps deployed keep a little throttle applied as you fly it to just above the runway, (around 1ft off of the ground and then just cut the throttle and concentrate on keeping the plane level. Do everything gently and it will settle gently on the ground and roll out straight.

Whilst it all sounds simple it can be difficult to master. From the basic safe landing approach you can experiment with tailoring the landing procedure to suit the performance of the plane you are flying but remember that this is an experience thing so you will need to practice over and over until you get it right. I often spend many hours doing landings and take offs, which can be the most demanding part of any models flight profile.

Learn to do fast take offs and landings first and then you know you can get it back safely and then try out the STOL abilities of the plane.

Just what I teach those who I instruct here.

Have fun!

TheRedGamerFPV

Thanks for the suggestions i am home now and have posted the video anyways the one for the takeoff ive been doing but still it always decides to roll as soon as its in the air so that ill figure out and as for the landings i have always done it with flaps and same with takeoff to try to use as little speed as possible so if i do crash then it wont snap the fuslauge and the wings like what happend to my crusier and yeah thats it for landings i am ok but takeoff isnt the best (mostly because ive gotton used to the little sport cub s being able to slow down to a crawl) so ill do a lot of practice and also if you live in WA seattle then you might be able to help me out but thanks for the suggestions and heres the link to the video

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thanks for the suggestions i am home now and have posted the video anyways the one for the takeoff ive been doing but still it always decides to roll as soon as its in the air so that ill figure out and as for the landings i have always done it with flaps and same with takeoff to try to use as little speed as possible so if i do crash then it wont snap the fuslauge and the wings like what happend to my crusier and yeah thats it for landings i am ok but takeoff isnt the best (mostly because ive gotton used to the little sport cub s being able to slow down to a crawl) so ill do a lot of practice and also if you live in WA seattle then you might be able to help me out but thanks for the suggestions and heres the link to the video
I have a method for reducing the roll on take off which many do not use. On aircraft like the Bushwacker, Storch, Simple Cub, and even the Das Ugly Stick I simply use a SF propeller.

This gives me the ability to generate great static thrust for take off without serious torque roll/"P" factor issues. It also provides quick neutral throttle response when close to stall or at high Alpha.

Once I have verified the planes build and structure I can and do swap out the SF for a higher speed prop and then do the thrust line tests for side and down thrust, altering the engine alignment as necessary.

If the roll is severe to the left and I am using a CCW prop then I increase the right thrust. If it swings right on a CW prop then the thrust line needs to move further left! On a few models, (especially high wing), it is possible that just opening the throttle can cause the plane to lift into the air before it is flying fast enough for the ailerons to be functional so here I have 2 options to chose from either give more down thrust angle OR alter the wing incidence so that the wing TE is raised slightly. This reduces the motor thrust generated lift over the fuselage and wing centre portion.

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
For your repair may I ask if you have any scraps left over from the build and if not do you have access to any of the original type of FB?

Also do you have the cheap version of toothpicks, BBQ Skewers, some cheap clear packing tape, and a clear craft glue such as Sullivans?

Approach the repair as if it were a jigsaw puzzle. See it as a series of tiny challenges or tiny repairs. Do one repair at a time and eventually there will be nothing left to repair.

The reason for the FB scraps is to allow you to cut away the worst on the crush as the foam will be destroyed and replace it with a grafted piece. The toothpicks allow for the locating and proper alignment of clean breaks and rips. The skewers are used to return bent and twisted pieces to their original shape and strength but be careful as they can add a lot of weight quickly. The packing tape is used to keep tension on pieces during their alignment especially if using a glue that has a drying time. Finally the clear craft glue is used as large quantities of Hot Melt glue adds vast amounts of weight if used to complete extensive repairs. The clear craft glue can make strong and almost invisible repairs but it can take a little time to set. It has the advantage that it does not require much glue, and it works equally well on foam, paper and the foam. Its remaining benefit is that if any excess is expelled as the pieces are pushed together can be wiped off simply.

I will guide you through the repairs if you are able to supply photos of the areas giving you the greatest concern. Video is fine for some but I do not do FAKEBOOK or UglyTUBE!

Have fun!

kilroy07

Legendary member
Result is normally almost uncontrollable swerving and then a almost uncontrollable plane as it leaps into the air, (often with a roll and crash)
This sound like EXACTLY what was happening with my FT Mustang.... Thanks for the insight!