Such a COOL Community.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Lately I have been pretty down and kind of disconnected from all things RC. I startrd getting back into it and have been flying the U.T.T tracks in FPVFreerider as well as been building an edge 540.

About an hour or so ago I get a knock on my door and its the postmaster for our little town and on the floor next to him is a fairly decent size package. My first thought he was at the wrong place as I have not ordered anything recently and nothing of that size.

Anyway the name was mine and the address was correct. I brought it inside looked it over. I do not recognize the name but the origin is kind of familiar from here in the forums.

I open the box and very decurely packed inside were these two sweethearts. (More yakkin after the pics)

20180817_135445.jpg
20180817_135500.jpg
20180817_135541.jpg
20180817_135616.jpg

Both of these lpok very familiar from checking out build threafs n such. I am going to spend some time looking to see if I can find the specific threads for these this afternoon for something to do.

I already have the contact info in my phone and I will be making a call after dinner time for higher probability to connect and say thank you.

Right now I dont have words for what this has done for my mood but be sure it is very positive!

I just wanted to get this up to show what a super community we have here and what people do for each other in what ever ways they can.

THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!!
THANK YOU!!!

I will be getting the cub a reciever and change connectors on some old 800mah heli packs that I almost discharged and recyled when I got back from FFO.

Hopefully the winds stay calm like they have been and the rain goes away so maybe I can fly a thing or two soon.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I will say the same.

Someone who wishes to remain anonymous here in the forums was nice enough to donate some chuck gliders from FT to me for our Mini Maker Faire a few months back, and I am VERY, VERY grateful to them.

These forums are full of great people who just want to connect and help out, and that's why I LOVE the folks here vs. other forums. It's a warmer feeling, a more...Family feeling, I guess? People here generally want to do a "pay it forward" if they can (which reminds me that I need to take the trainer plane I have down to the Maker Faire as a giveaway for a kid or father/son, mother/daughter, father/daughter, mother/son combo group that wants to get involved in the hobby).

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
What a wonderful story @PsyBorg and agreed, what a wonderful place.

As FT have grown and changed, it is this place (and the people in it) that has maintained and renewed my love of the stuff we do here.

Thanks for sharing this.

DamoRC

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
What amazing gifts, and probably an even more amazing person behind them. No excuse not to go flying now Psyborg. Glad to see this community is still close, and willing to spread the joy of flight.

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Right now I dont have words for what this has done for my mood but be sure it is very positive!
I just wanted to get this up to show what a super community we have here and what people do for each other in what ever ways they can.
Thanks for sharing, this really picked up my mood too. Such a thoughtful act by someone who obviously has an awesome heart. Things like this and people like you keep me coming back...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well I managed to dig out my d4r receiver from the SE5 and power the cub up.

I got the radio set up with all channels going in the proper directions. I dropped the end points back to where the servos are not complaining and none of the control surfaces are rubbing.

I read the manuals that were sent looking for any special setup instructions. I only found the max throws and will sit down with the ruler and radio tomorrow and finish it up.

Got rates set up as 100, 65, and 45 with 45% expo on every thing to start.

CG is marked on the wings where the instructions say and I already found the happy place for the fatter of my 800 mah packs.

I spent a fair bit of time searching for the pics I think are in here. No dice. The search engine hates me as it wont even pop the "show us your cubs" thread for me. So I was rooting and pillaging the old fassion way.

Last thing to do is change out the ec3 connectors for xt60 that is in these babys as well as the SE5.

I managed to get a call out but got the machine. It was too late to call again by the time I was done eatting and fiddling about. I will try again tomorrow though for sure.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Well, let us know how it goes when you try to put them in the air! We'd love to see your maidens; even if it's not a maiden flight for your particular planes, it's YOUR first flight with them. :) Those are always fun!

Turbojoe

Elite member
Psyborg,

I hope you get out and get some smooth maidens Bill. I'm sure you'll enjoy these birds as much as I did after you tailor them to your liking. They're both a little touchy until you find the CG that is right for you then they become purring kittens. As I said in email they have a LOT of power and could use smaller 7x4 props. Just be careful with that throttle on takeoff...;)

I was absolutely thrilled to give these planes to such a deserving recipient as Psyborg. So much gratitude to RockyBoy and Litterbug for pointing me to HIM. Do a search and you'll soon see that Psyborg (Bill) has been one of the most selfless, helpful individuals on this Flite Test forum. I would KILL to have a neighbor or flying buddy like him! Too bad he's on the opposite side of the country. :cry:

Joe

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Well this thread just made my day! @Turbojoe, way to pay it forward and be an amazing member of this great Flite Test family. There are not too many people on the forums that @PsyBorg hasn't helped out in one way or another, myself included. You both are shining examples of the heart of the Flite Test community. Thank you both.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Well this thread just made my day! @Turbojoe, way to pay it forward and be an amazing member of this great Flite Test family. There are not too many people on the forums that @PsyBorg hasn't helped out in one way or another, myself included. You both are shining examples of the heart of the Flite Test community. Thank you both.

To be honest giving the birds to him was a blessing for me. (PLUS keep in mind RockyBoy paid the SIZEABLE shipping cost!)

I'm moving soon and don't want to take everything built with me. I've already sold off most of my high dollar kits. Now It's down to selling off the built planes that really don't want to let go of. :cry:

All of this Psyborg recommendation stuff happened really quickly. I've seen his posts before but I just didn't know just how much of a good guy he was until I looked further. A guy like this needs something? You fix the guy up. No money. No questions. He's a good friend to the forum. You just fix him up!

Joe

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
AFTER I clean up the coffee and bagels I made a mess of I may sit down and have a good cry...

I am no one special. Its what us old people do. We help people not see how much we can get from them. Thats how we were raised.

I do have an update and I am truely sick to my stomach and extremely angry as well.

As I reported I had a good first experince with set up, taxi tests, and bunny hops. I even managed a few launches from the road over the grass and down that first day.

The next day I had to change starting areas due to wind directions. I figured it was ready for my official maiden so I drug the camera out and set it up to film what I planned to be a few powered glide tests.

I put the pack in the same place it was the day before, checked my crap, and rechecked cg. I thought it looked slightly nose heavier then previously so I moved it aft a touch to make it close to neutral.

I then kneeled down to do all the checks again on camera to show what I am doing. Checked crap, powered it up, checked cg. All looked good.

I moved a bit away from the camera, faced the wind, powered up enough it was pulling my arm forward and gave it a toss.

As with every one of my other hand launches it arced up and over and nosed in before I could get a second hand on the radio. I managed to split the main wing at the joint on the servo side.

Now I KNOW that plane has flown MANY times. I know it took off from the ground just fine. I know it was properly pre flighted.

I was talking with Ben last night and he says the fail is somewhere in the hand launch not the gear not my pilot skills.

I have thought and thought and went over the toss physically and mentally and am at a total loss for what is going on.

The only thing I could think of is maybe my sticks on the radio are set too soft and every time I do a toss and try to grab the radio that momentum is enough to let the elevator move putting the plane in a dive.

I cant even thow like a girl left handed so I have been holding the radio on the throttle side keeping that stick stable. I notice everyone else holds the right stick and sets throttle before their toss.

Could this be why I fail every hand launch or am I more goofy then I think?

For now I am making a foamboard wing to replace the main wing until I learn the proper way to repair it.

Like I said I am gutted over this with damaging such a great gift.

Next time I try will be at the park where I can launch from the ball court out over the grass instead of hand launching to give a better chance for success.