Long-EZ build

Kbat11700

3D printing is so useful!!! Cutting plywood is not a strong point of mine!! Lol

That's why a high speed Dremel is a super useful tool :)

On the note of the landing gear, I'm assuming you are taking the wire and attaching it straight to the servo and setting it to move 90 degrees up into the aircraft. I see lots of discussion about how to take forces off that servo and I have an idea that should be super easy and work well.

Why not take a servo saver from a rc car? In all of my land vehicles I use them on the steering servo and it takes bulk of the force away from the servo. It would also give you a little dampening for smoother landings.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I wish I would stop listening to myself!
weather is rubbish this week so started on adding an undercarriage...
IMG_20180820_190840593_LL.jpg IMG_20180820_190830252.jpg

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Undercarriage done, awaiting the E6000 glue to set overnight. Tomorrow and Monday do not look good for a maiden.
I'll take some pictures tomorrow, main gear I'm pretty happy with. The front, less so, tried putting a loop in the wire to add some spring in it but it looks rather rough.
Still, I'm very excited to this this beautiful bird fly!

jpot1

Elite member
Flew mine a bit today. Experimented with adding 10mm to the canard to see if that would affect the amount of reflex needed. Helped a touch but nothing too noticeable. Still flys great!
08CC3544-0707-466B-905F-579E0D49E50F.jpeg

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Wow that looks nice! I may have to go back and fiddle with mine now!
Best wait until it fly's!!! :)
I had to hack the bottom a bit as stupidly I initially put the undercarriage 'in front' of the CofG duh!!!! So I had to move it back about 4cm to ensure it wouldn't sit up on its tail upon takeoff.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I’ve always wanted an RC long ez and your not helping! ;)
Nice tape scheme. Can’t wait to see how it flies!
Thanks!
I've loved Burt Rutan's designs for ages, especially the Long-EZ so when I saw this design I knew that I needed to build it.
I'm itching to fly it!!!!

jpot1

Elite member
@CarolineTyler - I’m a little nervous for you maiden with you at 718g. I’m at 480g with a 1300 3s that balances fine for CG. I know your foam is heavier in the UK but maybe the undercarriage added more. Good luck!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I have no idea, I forget to weigh it beforehand, it's weight with a 2200mAh battery is 718gms, just a touch over 1 1/2 pounds
If your build is over weight you will find that it does not like to fly slowly due to the loading of the canard. As you slow the plane will drop its nose rapidly, (due to canard or foreplane stall), and could even end up in a vertical dive. It will fly quite well with speed so climb to height and see if it wants to dive when you slow. If it does you will need to land at high speed or risk a nose in crash. I say this from a position of experience, (bad experience that is).

Have a good and safe flight!

Have fun!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I will definitely be checking out it's slower speed characteristics at a good height. There's plenty of thrust so I expect it will fly, we shall just have to see how well :)
On Saturday I popped to the Leeds model shop and they had some official FliteTest foam board, and gosh it's a lot lighter, way lighter!