Fixing jagged cuts with hot glue?

HeavyBird

Hey guys, I'm working on my first scratch build. I'm building the FT 3D.
Most of my cuts on the Adam's foam board are pretty straight and clean, but there are a couple spots that are jagged. Could you fill these spots with hot glue and smooth them down with a piece of scrap foam?
20180821_205950.jpg

Keno

You certainly could, or you can use lite spackling available at a hardware store. Another is that I use frequently in "DynaGrip" make by DAP. But whatever works for you best go for it.

HeavyBird

DAP sounds like it would work great. I have some, I think I'll try that out too. I just glued it and wiped it flat with a piece of scrap foam. It looks ok and it didnt seem to add too much weight. I think I'll try DynaGrip in the future, I think it'll be easier than trying to work with hot glue lol. It doesnt look amazing from the picture, but it definitely filled the gaps.
20180821_225854.jpg

Bricks

Master member
Exacto blades are expensive or the cost does start to add up I picked up a sharpening stone and learned to sharpen them, really not that difficult. Blades last forever now.

donalson

I've dumped the exacto blades for all but a few small delicate cuts... 99% of the time I use these things...

got them at walmart for like $10 for a 100 pack... and they can be flipped so it's like 200 blades in a pack...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015W3AKDQ/?tag=lstir-20

and then a razor similar to this... except plastic... it's super comfortable to use, drag at a good angle with the other hand along the foam board puts the blade at that angle that slices... that means it doesn't give those rolled up bits of foam...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0778GTHN2/?tag=lstir-20

it does struggle for very tight turns like where the notches for control horns and such... but using an exacto for them and only them means they last a LONG time...

BS projects inc.

Elite member
1.) Make an L shaped piece of foamboard (or a U shaped piece with the gap in between just large enough for a piece of foamboard)
2.) pour hotglue on the rough area
3.) glide the piece of foamboard across the rough area spreading the hotglue and pushing it into the gaps.