Alien Aircraft Super Dragon

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I have been working on this project all summer and getting it done. I have a build thread over at RC Groups. But I had to post a picture of all the magnets I have layed down on this wing half...I love magnets, makes building fun and easy! Super Dragon build link
IMG_0031.JPG

Gazoo

That is one complex looking rig. Thought it was a high tech abacus at first. I have never built with wood so it took a bit to figure out what's going on there.

Looks cool!

TooJung2Die

Master member
Those are some serious building jigs. All I have are pins and a ceiling tile. You can't deny that is one straight wing!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Thanks! Thats all you need to build is pins and ceiling tiles. I love building so invested in the power of the magnet.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
A rare kit that is. no longer made, the Great Planes Extra 300 60 size. Converted to electric of course with a Scorpion motor pushing out near 1,800 watts on 6s. My work space isn't that big, but I can push out 60 size airplanes all day long.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Got the maiden done and this plane is officially operational. It was a little learning curve flying a boat instead of floats, but I figured it out quickly. You really need to get this one on the step before throttling up or you suck up water into the prop and can also flood the nose under. But, the Vaseline worked perfectly on the battery cover making it completely water proof and my cover idea is successful. I also decided to goop some Vaseline between the leading edge of the wing and the fuselage as I was getting some drips of water in there and this cured it. I'm not sure the long term affects of the Vaseline on Ultracote, but we will see.

The Super Dragon flew great, took right off after getting on step, and flew predictably for a plane of this type. All I needed was a little trim on the elevator and rudder and it was good to go. The roll rate is a little slow, but if a faster roll is needed, I just need to seal up the aileron air gaps with tape.

Solid 6 minutes and battery left 15.8 volts so could have flown 7-8 min or more with throttle management.

I will put up a video shortly.
IMG_0239.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Here is the long awaited maiden video.

I was thinking about the Vaseline, and I think it will melt and drip away when it gets hot in the summer. I was thinking about using dielectric gel instead as it doesn't melt as easily. Anyway it works for now...

TooJung2Die

Master member
She flies great! Sits a little low in the water so it's understandable why it takes a long run to get up on the step.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I did switch out the Vaseline to dielectric gel and it works very well with no water coming in anywhere. The only complaint I have is it is sticky like honey and tends to get on your fingers and everywhere else you touch, But, it's very effective.
Here's a few beautiful shots of it on the water yesterday.
super d.jpg
super d1.jpg

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Just an update on this plane. Man o Man she flys great, a lazy flyer, slow roller, but nice and stable. Fun to take off and land on water and plenty of power to just fly and have fun. Not an aerobatic master, but it can hold its own performing basic aerobatics. One thing I need to recommend and do myself is seal the outside of the balsa before covering as this model is a wet one and I am noticing that water is getting through the Ultracote causing the covering to wrinkle in spots. I believe you can just coat the bare balsa with polyurethane, just one coat, and that will take care of sealing the wood, then cover with Ultracote. One day I will strip the covering and do this, but I only fly two batteries at a time then hanger it for a while, so it is not a big deal right now.
The other issue with this plane is ESC heat as the ESC is sealed in the fuse with no air circulation as the plane gets wet and I haven't figured out a way to vent it without water getting inside. Right now, as long as I fly in low temps below 70 deg F, it is ok for an 8 min flight and the ESC gets to around 140-160f. But, if it is a warm day, like over 70, the ESC will jump up to 160 and above and that makes me a little nervous. I am running a Castle ESC with telemetry, so the temps are accurate and it is a bomb proof ESC that is way over rated for the amp draw and that is probably why they recommended a higher amp ESC for the build.