Help! fresh newbie first build. suggestions?

bluebiskit

ok so ive watched flite test for years like 3 years i think and always wanted to get into it but lacked funds. this all changed recently. i was at a yard sale and lo and behold on one of the tables was a small white box with "lazertoys" on the label. i knew exactly what was in it and immediatley paid my 3$ and left FAST.
it was indeed full of electronics and i recently salvaged an old crappy "blitz rc works/ art tech" tx and RX out of a friends trashed p51 of course nothing else in any of it worked but now i have all the electronics.
i have from the box:
EMAX BL2220/07 motor
turnigy aerodrive DST 1200 motor
EMAX 30 A esc
HK 30 A esc
assorted 9g servos
25 c 2200 MAH 3s batt
zippy 1300 MAH 2 s batt
some 10x6 props (that dont fit any of the motor shafts or adapters)
some 10x7 E props (that fit the Emax motor)

so my question is what do i build now. i have 4 sheets of foam board and planty of hot glue and assorted other things what build plans should i go with whether they are community plans or FT plans I just need something noob friendly. Any help is appreciated
-BISKIT

donalson

have you flown at all even on a simulator?...

with 4 sheets I would suggest building the FT flyer running the DST motor and the 1300 2s lipo... then a nutball then delta... they are all fun to fly, take 1 sheet to build...

from there move to something more advanced... either a 3ch bloody Barron (or brit) which gives you aileron control like the delta but with an elevator... you can then add a rudder if you want making it 4 ch

OR... build the FT scout or cub... fly it with 3ch then convert to 4 ch...

Arcfyre

Elite member
I'd suggest you start with a simple slow flier. I can recommend the simple soarer. Build it as a 2ch RC chuck glider and fly it for a while to get a feel for the controls. Then add a motor and learn to fly with power. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Seahunter

ok so ive watched flite test for years like 3 years i think and always wanted to get into it but lacked funds. this all changed recently. i was at a yard sale and lo and behold on one of the tables was a small white box with "lazertoys" on the label. i knew exactly what was in it and immediatley paid my 3$ and left FAST.
it was indeed full of electronics and i recently salvaged an old crappy "blitz rc works/ art tech" tx and RX out of a friends trashed p51 of course nothing else in any of it worked but now i have all the electronics.
i have from the box:
EMAX BL2220/07 motor
turnigy aerodrive DST 1200 motor
EMAX 30 A esc
HK 30 A esc
assorted 9g servos
25 c 2200 MAH 3s batt
zippy 1300 MAH 2 s batt
some 10x6 props (that dont fit any of the motor shafts or adapters)
some 10x7 E props (that fit the Emax motor)

so my question is what do i build now. i have 4 sheets of foam board and planty of hot glue and assorted other things what build plans should i go with whether they are community plans or FT plans I just need something noob friendly. Any help is appreciated
-BISKIT

rightbottom_b.gif

Type: BL2220/07
No. Of cells: 2S to 3S Li-Poly
Dimensions: 22 x 20 mm
Shaft diameter: 4 mm
Weight: 85 g/ 27.9oz
Recommended model weight: 400 - 1200g
Recommended prop without gearbox: 10 x 47, 11x 38.

6720-t1.jpg

Here are the specs I found on that motor, I recommend that you first get it and one of the 30AESC's and set them up securely on a workbench , check your work to be sure it's hooked up properly ( see FT beginner series for reference). Charge up your battery, With no propeller on the motor, be sure you have a working system. Once you do, them match a slow trainer style FT airplane to the setup per the spec's above and download the plan from Sponz's site, get some DTFB and other needed material and build something. Stick to the trainers on 3 channel at first, them move on to 4 channel, warbirds or whatever. If you have questions, post them here, our FT family will be glad to help. Just curious, where are you located?

Last edited:

jaredstrees

I agree with Donalson. FT flyer. Simple and easy, flies great. Using that to teach my son how to fly. And they build quick when you lawn dart them!

Seahunter

All of the above suggestions are valid recommendations, but considering what size power set up you have, you will need to use the DST 1200, the 3-pack series calls for a smaller motor ie: an 1806 and the simple soarer a 2215 ("B" pack size). If you set up with an overpowered airframe, its a sure route to a fail and discouragement for a newbie. Big motors in little airplanes= spectacular wipe outs. Read the spec's for your motor and try to pick an airframe that will give a good performance in your power range. You will need a smaller prop for the turnigy, Contact me I probably have what you need out in my crash/junk box :)
The spec's have all the info you need like weight, prop size, esc size etc.

For your Turnigy Aerodrive DST 1200 motor
Spec.
Battery: 2~3 Cell /7.4~11.1V
RPM: 1200kv
Max current: 16A
No load current: 11.1V/0.8A
Weight: 57g
Diameter of shaft: 3mm
Dimensions: 30mmx50.7mm

Test Data:
No-load Current / 11.1V: 0.8A
Voltage Current Prop Thrust 3s 11A AT 7" 560g 3s 13A 8050 780g

Go slow, if you need further help, contact me via a conversation and I'll do what I can.

'

bluebiskit

rightbottom_b.gif

Type: BL2220/07
No. Of cells: 2S to 3S Li-Poly
Dimensions: 22 x 20 mm
Shaft diameter: 4 mm
Weight: 85 g/ 27.9oz
Recommended model weight: 400 - 1200g
Recommended prop without gearbox: 10 x 47, 11x 38.

6720-t1.jpg

Here are the specs I found on that motor, I recommend that you first get it and one of the 30AESC's and set them up securely on a workbench , check your work to be sure it's hooked up properly ( see FT beginner series for reference). Charge up your battery, With no propeller on the motor, be sure you have a working system. Once you do, them match a slow trainer style FT airplane to the setup per the spec's above and download the plan from Sponz's site, get some DTFB and other needed material and build something. Stick to the trainers on 3 channel at first, them move on to 4 channel, warbirds or whatever. If you have questions, post them here, our FT family will be glad to help. Just curious, where are you located?
I am in middle Georgia and honestly all of you have been a good help. My father was an electronic engineer and taught me CB radios at a young age so I'm already very proficient at soldering. And I already test benched all the hardware and it all works, the only thing I need,is some xt60's as all of this stuff has mixed connections, I'm 27 and a dad and my 4 year old son is super stoked to biuld a plane

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
XT60 connections can be had via Amazon, your Local Hobby Store, Hobbyking, or any other number of online stores. I use Amazon, primarily, because I have Amazon Prime and I can usually get this stuff in 2 days, whereas my experiences with HobbyKing haven't been quite so shining. That's my personal issue, you may have better luck.

I'd recommend the XT30/XT60/XT90 connectors moving forward; you can technically fit a male EC3 connector into a female XT60 connector, but it's tight and I always feel like I'm bending something...Good luck on your builds; you guys are gonna have a bunch of fun flying!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Ive not heard of xt90 I'm guessing it just handle higher amperage?

Yes, XT90 is just even larger, meant for things like a 6S battery. :) You may have heard of EC5 connectors? XT90s are about the same size (if I remember correctly; better fit, in my opinion, and have a more "idiot proof" way to connect them than the EC3/EC5 connectors and they're a big honkin' plug. :)

mayan

Legendary member
I would build the Ft mighty mini Tiny Trainer. It’s a all around prefect trainer plane. That’s how I started learning and still to complete my training on it with the sports wing. You can read about it in a thread I posted by searching “Hobby Newbie Learning Diary”.

Last edited:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I've been seeing a lot of love for the Simple Soarer lately and that makes me happy. The Simple Soarer flies great and is easy to fly. It is also a very good tool for learning to buddy box. Almost any competent pilot can easily recover from the student's mistake.

donalson

I've been seeing a lot of love for the Simple Soarer lately and that makes me happy. The Simple Soarer flies great and is easy to fly. It is also a very good tool for learning to buddy box. Almost any competent pilot can easily recover from the student's mistake.

3 ch aren't my fav planes to fly :(... but I found the 3ch cub much more fun to fly than the soarer... that being said I'm working on a modified soarer right now... using a bloody style fuse and an explorer sport wing (ailerons)... LEDs inside for night flying :)

jaredstrees

Whatever you build have fun and don't get discouraged when you crash. It's just foam and can be made better the second time around!

And for some of us the third, fourth or fifth time!