Long-EZ build

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Looking like Wednesday evening for a maiden! :)
Though that is dependent on the replacement battery arriving from Hobbyking. My best battery for this plane still lies at the bottom of the river :D:p

Last edited:

IanSR

I dunno where you are @CarolineTyler but a lot of the model shops here are starting to stock flight test foamboard for around £2-£2.50 a sheet. After attempting to use hobbycraft foamboard to build stuff and failing miserably I gave up and bought some from Sussex Model Centre and haven't looked back, just incase weight is an issue for you.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I dunno where you are @CarolineTyler but a lot of the model shops here are starting to stock flight test foamboard for around £2-£2.50 a sheet. After attempting to use hobbycraft foamboard to build stuff and failing miserably I gave up and bought some from Sussex Model Centre and haven't looked back, just incase weight is an issue for you.
I live in Bradford, Yorkshire, and the Leeds Model Shop I've found out has FliteTest foamboard so will give it a go :)
The Hobbycraft foamboard seems to work fine if a bit heavy ;)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I broke it a bit today, was doing some taxi tests on the steering. Needed a little bit of adjustment to get it running straight and true.
Once that was done, I took the speed up to do a tiny hop .... Ran out of runway and rolled at speed into the tall reedy grass at the edge and broke the canard at its root.
Have made a new one and installed and this one has a nice carbon spar in its leading edge :)
Onwards to its proper maiden.

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Uh oh, you have to fly this already :)
In case something bad happens, I am working on the next version with a narrower fuse, nose doublers for reinforcement and a fully rotating canard.
I'm taking it off when the weather permits, not risking this bird :)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Still no reflight, a bit more taxi testing but the wind came up too strongly :(
Successfully flew my Ft-Goblin, the Rainbow Dancing Wing, the FT- long EZ ( including a brief "parking" in a tree ), and the QAV250 quad which has decided to keep falling out of the sky by means of pushing motor 4 to full power.

jeff1000

I've been promising myself that I will build a Long-EZ model for so long....and then comes along this super design.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/long-ez-ft-style.39433/

Printed out tiled and have just stuck it together.
It's long!!!! 😁😁
Next stage is to arrange on the foamboard, stick down and get cutting.
View attachment 112255 View attachment 112254
I've been promising myself that I will build a Long-EZ model for so long....and then comes along this super design.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/long-ez-ft-style.39433/

Printed out tiled and have just stuck it together.
It's long!!!! 😁😁
Next stage is to arrange on the foamboard, stick down and get cutting.
View attachment 112255 View attachment 112254

jeff1000

Congrats Caroline, this design is of great interest to me. This is basically a flying wing with canards, which theoretically provide soft stall tendencies? I am a big Long-EZ and Burt Ratan fan. Any new updates since your original posts?
Jeff