GREAT PLANES EXTRA 300S, 60 SIZE, ELECTRIC CONVERSION, 2019 BUILD ALONG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
That looks exactly like the cowl I had on my Extra 300S. If so, you'll find there is a LOT of extra material that you can trim off to make it as long as you want. Darn good quality stuff!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Making some progress on the horizontal stabilizer. The tail feathers are all scratch built with no die cut parts and actually the first time I have scratch built balsa and it is pretty easy so far.
IMG_0229.JPG

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Horizontal stab framed up and ready to sheet, after a quick sanding.

Attachments

• F32A294A-4FA7-47E0-85B5-A9FBE98BAA9C.jpeg
    F32A294A-4FA7-47E0-85B5-A9FBE98BAA9C.jpeg
    634.3 KB · Views: 0

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Working on framing the elevators up and been so busy lately moving slowly. I received all the lumber (balsa sheeting) from National Balsa and I should have enough to finish the build now.

HS sheeted.

Attachments

• IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    695.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0428.JPG
    IMG_0428.JPG
    675.9 KB · Views: 0

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Wierd, I just was browsing youtube and saw the FT Red Bull build challenge. I had no idea they did this and what a coincidence Im building one.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Got the Elevators built and just need to shape all the edges and hinge, but first I will build the fin and rudder.
IMG_0249.jpg

Captain Video

Hey, I have that same model in my workshop to be constructed as a winter build. I will watch this with great interest! Will also take any and all advise, as well as this is my first balsa build.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Nice, are you going with electric or gas? This kit is gas or nitro per the directions, but I will have a detailed electric conversion process. The directions for Great Planes builds are really great and are geared towards first time builders, it’s a shame they are gone now. Feel free to ask questions as I’m on this forum and RCG regularly (this is my facebook). This plane, however, will be a challenging first time build as right away you will be scratch building the entire tail feather assemblies. But, they are easy stick builds.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Got the fin framed up and ready to sheet. The fin is sheeted completly but the directions were not entirely clear here, so I looked at pictures of other builds and figured it out. The sanding jig has been very valuable during the stick building of the tail feathers.

Attachments

• IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0254.JPG
    655.4 KB · Views: 0

Captain Video

Thanks,
I tried nitro a few years back with a couple garage sale purchases. I think I was too new to the hobby and the planes ended horribly. I am now full on electric now. I have a Carbon Z Cessna 1.5m which flies wonderfully. So I think electric it will be. I will reach out to you with questions. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Electric is awesome and dependable ! I cant find any really detailed conversions anywhere, so I will document my method thoroughly. I have done a few conversions now so it shouldn't be to hard...

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I have every faith in you to do the conversion but I do intend to keep a keen eye here to give a back-seat opinion should the opportunity present itself. 😜

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
A little update on the tail fin. Since the kit was short a bunch of sheeting, I purchased some 6" wide 1/16" sheeting from National Balsa instead of gluing two 3" sheets together as the directions suggested. The 6" sheeting was only $2 for a 24" sheet so might as well try it. The 6" sheeting is actually 3 pieces of balsa glued together, most likely they glue together large pieces of balsa then mill 1/16" sheets from that. It is very flat and smooth and looks like it will work well. I got started on the sheeting tonight and will let it dry completely (with weight on it keeping it flat) overnight before I trim and do the other side as I use Titebond II and this will help reduce any warpage from the moisture in the Titebond drying.

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0257.jpg

TooJung2Die

Master member
The framework of the tail surfaces look very sturdy. I bet they would be strong enough to cover the frames without sheeting them with balsa. That said I would follow the plans the first time I built one.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I would think they would make the 6” wide piece from the same grades of balsa. I did look at some Midwest brand 6” wide balsa at the lhs and it was made the same way but the wood matched better than the National brand. But like TooYoung says, it’s a very sturdy frame work and the sheeting strength wont matter much anyway since it’s getting covered with Ultracote.