Tucson AZ

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Hi guys!
Long time FT community member just moved to Tucson. Reaching out to other FT flyers as well as suggestions on clubs, build techniques for warmer climate and flying fields. Temporally in Oro Valley but willing to consider clubs/field all over greater Tucson. Great to be in my new home, Old Pueblo!

Stephen
aka Rasterize

PoorManRC

Master member
Is ANYTHING going on around here, particularly for an old, broken, half disabled, money-less, N00b (in RC Flight anyway)?

I'm just breaking into FT Aircraft, non aerobatic - for quite a while anyway!
Just wondering. I'm NE Tucson (near Speedway/Wilmot) ;)

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
There are a few clubs/fields in the greater Tucson area. I had a hard time finding places to fly without joining a club. In fact, I didn't find any place to fly unless it was joining a club! Odd for living in a place with tons of open space! I'm actually shocked how little RC stuff is going on around here considering the amount of retirees military (especially Air Force) and otherwise.

PoorManRC

Master member
There are a few clubs/fields in the greater Tucson area. I had a hard time finding places to fly without joining a club. In fact, I didn't find any place to fly unless it was joining a club! Odd for living in a place with tons of open space! I'm actually shocked how little RC stuff is going on around here considering the amount of retirees military (especially Air Force) and otherwise.

I couldn't agree more!! I'm Retired Air Force, but also Disabled. I can't afford Dues.... I can barely afford RENT.
I'm on the NE side, and there's nearly NOTHING here!! It seems like the NW and Oro Valley are the only "civilized" areas of Tucson. :confused:
I found a nearby Middle School that will let me crash some on Weekends. Hopefully, I'll be sharing something with the Forum soon.

Hoomi

Master member
SAGE out in Marana, is probably one of the most reasonable clubs I've heard of, and not just in Tucson. Annual dues are $40, with no initiation or other fees. Like most clubs, they do require AMA membership, primarily for the liability insurance that members are covered by. The runway is dirt, but the group is friendly and helpful. The club rules are very reasonable, and about the only one that I find regrettable is that our proximity to Marana Municipal Airport requires we have a firm "no drones" rule.

They're even pretty relaxed about non-members flying at the field, so long as they have the AMA membership, and observe the club rules (for example, there is a neighboring property that has asked us to not overfly their place, as the planes spook their animals).

Hoomi

Master member
There's at least three of us with Flite Test planes out at SAGE. As I mentioned above, the biggest rule is that only AMA members can fly at the field, due to liability insurance. That AMA insurance makes sure the club doesn't end up on the hook, if someone does something crazy or stupid, or if something goes catastrophically wrong with a plane in flight.

Hoomi

Master member
The field remains open. The most likely time club members will be there are weekend mornings (in the summer, before about 8:30), and Wednesday and Friday mornings. If you show up sometime and no one is there, you're still welcome to fly, so long as you're an AMA member, and observe some basic rules. Since the club is about 2 miles off the end of the secondary runway from Marana Regional Airport, we have an agreement with the airport that we won't fly any drones at the field. Our neighbors behind us have animals that get spooked if the planes fly overhead, so we have their property established as a "No Fly Zone." However, the field across the road is wide open, so it works well with the situation of our runway. The basic safety rules are posted on the storage conex at the field, and on our website.

SAGE Field.jpg