long flight time

hygy

Hi,

Mostly the flittest videos showing racing things. :)

I have some questions:

- I want to build a long flight time quadkopter, carrying an action camera or maybe a smaller dslr. I found the Rctimer 5010-260KV motor with a very good price. What props and ESC do you suggest for this motor? Which battery is suggested for a setup like this, 6S? 4S? mAh?

- The second question is what FC and which firmware do you suggest to create an object tracking function with opensource firmware?

thanks,
HyGy

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I have some questions:

- I want to build a long flight time quadkopter, carrying an action camera or maybe a smaller dslr. I found the Rctimer 5010-260KV motor with a very good price. What props and ESC do you suggest for this motor? Which battery is suggested for a setup like this, 6S? 4S? mAh?

- The second question is what FC and which firmware do you suggest to create an object tracking function with opensource firmware?

thanks,
HyGy
You might want to start with a less ambitious project as your first build. For a camera platform, I’ve had excellent results with a Phantom 3 pro.

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Hi,

I have some questions:

thanks,
HyGy

So a few key pieces of information are missing such as do you have any experience building / flying quads (if not learning to fly on something smaller and less likely to break when you crash is a good idea).

If you are experienced then things you need to consider are how heavy is your camera equipment, frame etc going to be. This will help guide you to a prop and battery combo that gives you what you need.

DamoRC

hygy

So a few key pieces of information are missing such as do you have any experience building / flying quads (if not learning to fly on something smaller and less likely to break when you crash is a good idea).

If you are experienced then things you need to consider are how heavy is your camera equipment, frame etc going to be. This will help guide you to a prop and battery combo that gives you what you need.

DamoRC

Thanks for your answer.

Yes I have experience in building (but I'm not a professional mostly in flying, but the electronic/mechanical buildig is not hard for me). (I think it is much easier to put one good working quadcopter together then a 3d printer from scratch.) But I think flying is always learning a new, like motor riding :) And yes in acro mode I have much to learn :)
I have some quadcopters :) the strongest is an fpv racing 3d printed firefly with 2300kv motors, 5040 kingkong props 2200mAh 4C battery, ominbus f4 v3 FC. (First I want to build the camera quadcopter but a (more experienced) friend of mine said "first learn to flight" (and the "things like dji is not flying instead you just moving a camera in 3d") , so I made firefly, and crashed some times :) But I have lot to learn. :)

For frame i want to use Carbon Fiber Tube Cylinder ID12mm OD14mm, what I like is now this layout (couse its easyer to transport): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wiggly/easy-drone-xl-pro-longest-flying-quadcopter-on-the
But If U know better (modular design ) then please let me know.

Weight:
What i have now it is a 4k action cam it is just 74g, and an older nikon d80 (but it is heavy so I dont think it is good for that) :) later I need to buy stg. maybe like a fuji x-t20 with a wide lens is about 560g, but first I want to use my existing 4k action cam. And some gimball about 108g. And the electronics, ESC, FC, raspberry, etc....
So finally about 700-800g to carry. It is good for me maybe if I can replace the props when I just use the action cam, and replace when I use the heavier stuff.

What I dont found yet, is an opensource active tracking like functionality is available now for diy quads?

regards
HyGy