Computer to run Real Flight 7.5

aviator99

Hey Everybody,

I just picked up a real flight 7.5 and now I am looking for a cheap computer to run this thing. I would like to get a laptop and it will be used only to run the real flight nothing else. Is it possible to find something for 200.00 bucks or less I'm not against buying a refurbished one either. I know very little when it comes to computers so any recommendations you all might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Chad

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Hey Everybody,

I just picked up a real flight 7.5 and now I am looking for a cheap computer to run this thing. I would like to get a laptop and it will be used only to run the real flight nothing else. Is it possible to find something for 200.00 bucks or less I'm not against buying a refurbished one either. I know very little when it comes to computers so any recommendations you all might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Chad

These are the minimum requirements. More is better especially with respect to the video card IMO. I have a 6 yo computer but it is (was) a beast with a 8 core processor, 16 GB RAM and a 2 GB video card. It could be outclassed today, but it still holds its own. RF8 looks real good on it.

System Requirements
Minimum Recommended System:
Some graphical features may be disabled. Aerodynamic calculations will remain high quality.

Windows Vista™ or Windows 7 or Windows 8 or Windows 10*
*Administrator access required.
Intel® Pentium® 1.0GHz or equivalent
512 MB RAM
10 GB Hard Drive Space
DVD Drive
3D Accelerated Video with:
32 MB Dedicated Video Memory
Full DirectX 9 compliant (Shader Model 2.0 or better)
InterLink-X, RealFlight compatible controller, or other Gamepad/Joystick
Optimal System:
For best graphical performance

Dual Core 2.4GHz CPU
2 GB RAM
3D Accelerated Video with: 512 MB dedicated video memory

Last edited:

Idahomoe

I am currently in the same boat. I have FrSky qx7s transmitter. And I plan on getting rf8. I believe my radio has a spot for a usb linker. But I’m not sure exactly how it works. I getting a cpu from Santa any suggestions on all the gear I need to get a sim up and running??

d8veh

Elite member
It's mainly the graphics card that you need. RF8 will run on a crappy computer, but you can only set it to crappy quality. If you set the resolution and rendering too high, the motion becomes unsmooth. I have RF2 on an old laptop with Win XP. It just about works with some glitching from time to time. Presently, I have Phoenix running with a resolution of 1440 x900 at 600hz with an nVidia GTX750 card. The quality is more than acceptable. It's my old gaming PC. My new PC with a GTX 1080 can run it at 4K.

In summary, it's just a question of how much quality you want. Without a proper graphics card, it'll most likely be pretty crappy. You can get a GTX750 for around $30 these days. You need to make sure that any graphics card is compatible with the socket in your montherboard.

The 22 in one Flight Simulator Cable that you can get for $10 from Ebay, Amazon and all the Chinese Vendors works exceptionally well. If you don't have a simulator, for the sake of $10, you should try one first. It plugs into your transmitter as long as you have a trainer port. The same applies regarding the quality. It takes a lot of processing power to render fast-moving graphics onto a large screen. You can't change that whatever simulator you use.