Another Tiny Trainer Build “Foamasaurus Wreck”

d8veh

Elite member
It's looking good, though a little lively on the turns. it might be an idea to turn down the rates or throws on the rudder a bit until you get used to it.

FDS

Elite member
The wind was slapping it as soon as it pitched. Its set on low throws but I dropped them a bit today after flying. It’s hard to get a feel for it without height to play with. Bloody weather.

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
Got 4 more 8 min flights in this week! Tuesday bought beautiful flying weather between storm fronts, got it up to 100ft high and right out in a big flying field, where it could stretch its legs a bit and I had a bit more reaction time.
I changed the motor out to one I got on Hobbyking which was very similar to the original and added a better quality prop, this thing really shifts!
I have been running on 2s and it feels plenty fast enough, bags of power if you need it and you can still run on slow for easier flying. I have a 6x4 prop and this motor in there. I am getting 8 min flights with 3.6v per cell in the battery at the end.
I will try and get some video next time I fly but right now dusk is my main window for weather and the light is terrible for filming. If I get a morning flight in that might work better.

PoorManRC

Master member
Trust me, angering them is no laughing matter!

I HEAR ya, Brother!!!! My "Domestic Authorities" have been harsh all week. I've not been able to get ANYTHING done!! :confused::mad:
Gave time to think about stuff and things..... (Dangerous!!)

I haven't maidened YET, but I've gone ahead and Designed a new VStab for my TT!! :eek:
1-1/2" taller, 3/4" wider, with a ventral fin angled towards the nose. EVERY one of these seems to have problems with Yaw Control....

So my rudimentary solution - more Tail!!!

You're looking good out there! Every Flight, just a little longer. She seems to have a definite pull to the left though.... Maybe add some more right Thrust?
Cheers!!

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
The pull to the left is now well fixed, I got the trim better and CG is easier with the smaller batteries. I found the original power pod was a bit bent after the first hard “landing” in my first flight, so I made up another.
It flies great now, quite fast. I got about 4 mins continuous flight last time, with some mild stunting as well.
I didn’t find it had yaw problems but I haven’t got much stick time compared to most people on here, so if it did wander a bit I probably put it down to my bad flying.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If it continues to seem to wander a little in flight especially when not running at full throttle you could try a half to one millimeter spacer under the wing leading edge to increase the wing incidence slightly. You will find that it becomes a far different bird and will have lower speeds for landings!

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
If it continues to seem to wander a little in flight especially when not running at full throttle you could try a half to one millimeter spacer under the wing leading edge to increase the wing incidence slightly. You will find that it becomes a far different bird and will have lower speeds for landings!

Just what works for me!
Have fun!

Now THAT'S an idea I'm going to keep at the top of my list!! Most of the FT Aircraft I've seen, seem to have zero Incidence.

FDS

Elite member
Thanks for tips, weather is perfect, just took my son out for a couple of batteries in the Sport Cub before school, just about to go flying. The sun is shining and wind is under 10mph. Happy days.

semininja

I'm finding that with my Tiny Trainer, the CG as indicated leaves the plane somewhat nose-heavy. With no battery in the plane, it glides perfectly with no pitching in either direction, but that leaves the CG somewhat behind the marked point on the wing. FDS, have you found this to be the case?

FDS

Elite member
I mounted my rudder and elevator servos right at the back of the available space as people mentioned it could be nose heavy. The only two times it felt really nose down, even after cg was done, was when I tested using a heavier battery and when I tried to fly my GoPro.
There are lots of suggestions for sorting out CG. Some people have extended their wings and vertical stabilisers too, there’s lots of good posts here on it.
I also allowed space to mount my battery to the bottom of the fuselage if required, meaning I wasn’t restricted to just the power pod length. Also make sure your motor and ESC are well back.
The one thing I found about the TT was that it isn’t very “floaty” and the glide path is shorter than I would have liked. I was pretty strict with my build weights, this one runs a very light, uncased micro receiver, small motor, the smallest ESC I could get and 3.7g wing servos. I did paint it but compared to some of the heavier motors people use that hasn’t made a huge difference IMO.
If you had a larger 2212 budget motor on the front I could see it being much more nose heavy.
I am building a Sportster and have a Simple Scout nearly done, it will be interesting to see how those compare.
I don’t think the Tiny Trainer is super forgiving compared to a larger high wing like the Cub or Storch but that at least teaches recovery. I like to fly mine high for at least half a battery as I am a pretty terrible pilot.
I am also building undercarriage for it as belly landing has cost me several power pods.

semininja

I have my motor mounted as far back as I can get, and my battery is actually behind the power pod completely, because I only have 1300mAh batteries at the moment. My TT is pretty "floaty" when I throw it without a battery installed, but the CG without battery is about an inch behind the "proper" point. Where is your CG when flown?

FDS

Elite member
I don’t use a battery bigger than 600mah and 40g. It’s the 2s, that’s the size recommended for it and I have an 1808 2300kv motor which is light. The recommended 3s is only 78g. I am bang on the factory CG, my battery is never fully behind the pod. If you can’t get right on the CG and as light as possible the TT will be hard to fly (mine was.)
Your pack is possibly too large, what’s your motor?

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The TTs I use as primary trainers are all powered using a 2205c 1400kV powered by a 850mA 3s battery through a HK 12A ESC. The motor has an integral prop saver and enough protruding motor shaft to fit a propeller adapter or spinner if required.

The prop I use is only a 6 x 4, 2 blade whereas the motor can drive a 9 x 5 on 3S. With a little increase in the main wing incidence angle the TT is a nice, slow, somewhat floaty basic trainer with a good margin or power and reasonable flight times.

Just what works for me!

FDS

Elite member
I have a 6x4 prop on for 2s.
Do you have a link for the motor you used? I have made a spacer for the front of the wing which I will try out next time.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You can get it from a number of sources and I used to use Hobby King See; https://hobbyking.com/en_us/2205c-1400kv-brushless-motor.html?___store=en_us
But the motor is available from a wide variety of different suppliers though the prices vary quite widely.

See also https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AX-...r-RC-Remote-Control-Airplane/32630145167.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AX-2205C-1...722536?hash=item419500a868:g:lhIAAOSwQjNW-MXZ

Plus a few near equivalents like this https://www.banggood.com/QX-Motor-Q...3468.html?rmmds=buy&ID=47984&cur_warehouse=CN

Have fun!

semininja

For those curious, I've done some more flying in the last couple of days. The balance as-flown was slightly ahead of the balance mark, but with throttle, it still tends to nose-up, especially when flying into the wind, so I'm not really worried about the balance any more; it's quite agreeable to fly as long as I keep an eye on the pitch attitude to keep it from climbing into a stall. I might mix a touch of elevator into the throttle axis to reduce this tendency, but it flies quite well and I flew it today until I got a battery warning.

The only problem is, the battery warning was on the radio. I had plenty of voltage left on the battery in the plane, but the transmitter's NiMH pack was complaining. I suspect that part of that was due to the cold, but it drained remarkably quickly in any case, which was quite frustrating. I probably only flew for 20-30 minutes before my transmitter started complaining. I'm definitely going to have to investigate a LiPo or LiFePO4 pack for it.