First Build FT Guinea Pig as my Trainer/First Plane.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Okay, Recap time. I'm building two birds, one step at a time. Di White Bird is a scratch built Mod of a Guinea Pig using a Guinea Pig Speed Build Kit parts as templates. And then I build the mostly stock Speed Build Kit bird. Right now both wings are done. Last night was the Speed Build wing completion. I then proofed out the Fuse of the Mod Guinea. The White DTFB is the Mod Bird, the Tan is the Speed Kit. The Mod Bird Wing is two inches wider/longer? than the stock one, with nacelle power pod scoops and whistle sirens as mocked up turbo-prop engine pods. The Mod Bird fuselage is 7 X 7 square, stock length. The Mod Bird floor for the cargo bay is longer, angling the rear cargo door at 45 degrees, removing the inboard taper. To do this I turned the DTFB sideways, leaving a large chunk on one side free. That was glued like two wing halves as the tail piece. Mod Bird will have a wide thin craft stick custom cut framing doubler inside for added strength. I modified the spar in the stock speed kit wing with trimmed 5 gal paint sticks, using only one small paint stick that came in the kit at the base of the spar assembly. two 5 gal sticks go inside the DTFB spars, a third topping off the center, then scrap 5 gal trimmed pieces creating stand up center runners outboard. I put FOD screens on the scoop fronts Mod Bird, and on both birds power pod rear openings. Going to the Oregon North Coast today. Hope to get some work done tonight.
Yeah, baby! That's a recap for you, right there. That's how it's done. It was like a speed reading contest and a speed eating contest. Trying to digest.

Next recap? Paragraph's please. I know where you're at now and that was the point of the recap, but that was a tough word wall! Everything is looking good, better even than (I at least) expected. You've been talking a big game, I am very pleased that you're backing it up. Not that it matters, just wanted you to know: I'm impressed. :)(y)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
For what it's worth, I flew the Guinea Pig in the Phoenix sim just now. It was pretty amazing and easy to handle, but wow could it get out of control quickly. I did loops and rolls and crashed without even knowing I had a problem. Assuming the model is accurate in the sim, you've got a tiger by the tail!

Hey Buzz, some one told me that sim has differential throttle ON as a normal set up. If you can check any set up specs, and if there is a check box for Diff Throttle, I'd shut it off. Tap or nudge the rudder and she'll take off left or right on you in a heartbeat... and viola! Lawn Dart! Although I betcha learned where the Reset Button is as a natural reflex by now!

Herc wiring... hmm... Receiver, throttle slot, Y servo cable, 2- Y servo cables, 2 servo extension cables, 4 ESC's, 4 motors. Battery, Y-cable, 2 Y-cables, 2 built power extension cables, 4 ESC's, 4 motors. Sound about right?

GoldBirdSign2.png

Quick update. Too many steps to post right now. But...
Skyvan 2.jpg
Skyvan 4.jpg
Props.jpg

The Nose and nose gear are done... but I have to shorten the nose gear rod, tuck the wheels closer to the fuselage. My 3 blade props came in. Just one of each! Picture said 3 of each. Still was a good price. Guess I'll have to order another set.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Quick update. Too many steps to post right now. But...
View attachment 120100 View attachment 120101 View attachment 120102
The Nose and nose gear are done... but I have to shorten the nose gear rod, tuck the wheels closer to the fuselage. My 3 blade props came in. Just one of each! Picture said 3 of each. Still was a good price. Guess I'll have to order another set.
Scooter! The rabbit hole looks like it's becoming an actual plane! Awesome! Looking really good, man, keep it up! Oh, and you need a bigger desk. :p

"My build hanger is shrinking!" Oh, and by the way for those wondering if you can do this... None of the White Scratch Built Guinea/Skyvan is done with any Computer Added Drafting (CAD) or printed from PDF templates. I've used some of the Guinea parts as templates and expanded upon the design. The Skyvan nose is All ME! After four tries... the pics you see is what I finally built. (Whew!) No slide rule, calculator on my phone... heh heh heh... And hand drawn templates.

Not much done tonight... Fixed front nose gear (sat to high). Built the main landing gear pod and installed it.
Skyvan 5.jpg
Undercarriage.jpg

Okay, my wheel pants are standard width for the kit. My 2.75 mains are narrower than I thought, so tomorrow cutting the pants back off and trimming them. The back tail of the pants is at the base of the cargo door so I can install a servo to operate the door.
What 1.jpg
What 2.jpg

These are the four DTFB pieces for me Scratch Built Guinea/Skyvan tail. Tomorrow-tomorrow-tomorrow! He he he!

The strange lines on the nose of my Scratch Build are the marker areas for my windows. I found a cute roll of green metallic tape that might look like green tint reflective glass. Either that or no print gold foil wrapping paper.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
What are you going to call it? I name my guinea pig ESCARGO......I know, I'm sorry. Escargo because it is slow and cargo because its a cargo plane