2019 Fantasy Aircraft Design & Build Challenge!

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
I'm going to make a preemptive strike in the event that I don't get anymore time to devote to my project before the end of this phase of the event: I've technically fullfilled all of the design contest objectives. My plane still needs to be painted and I'd like to get some footage flying on more powerful motors and the like, but it has flown and the plans and instructions are now finished.

So in conclusion:
FTFC19 Lockheed N+2 SST designed by FAI-F1D
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...heed-n-2-sst-designed-by-fai-f1d.54680/page-2
Successful flights under rocket and electric propulsion
Instructions and plans in post #2 of above build thread
2018-12-07 11_23_49-Rocket_Parkjet from Flite Test Foamboard! - YouTube.png

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I'm going to make a preemptive strike in the event that I don't get anymore time to devote to my project before the end of this phase of the event: I've technically fullfilled all of the design contest objectives. My plane still needs to be painted and I'd like to get some footage flying on more powerful motors and the like, but it has flown and the plans and instructions are now finished.

So in conclusion:
FTFC19 Lockheed N+2 SST designed by FAI-F1D
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...heed-n-2-sst-designed-by-fai-f1d.54680/page-2
Successful flights under rocket and electric propulsion
Instructions and plans in post #2 of above build thread
View attachment 120044

Congratulations on project completion!

I keep on working on other non-contest craft, and for me in NC, this weekend was very wet and full of people.

Zephyr1

Elite member
So, with winter break almost upon me, and with a lengthened design cut off date, I'm going to be adding an additional aircraft to this challenged. It classifies under the fantasy moniker. One of the things I learned with last years challenge, is that a smaller, single-engine aircraft are significantly easier to prototype and to develop. It also means that more people are willing to try out your design once it's completed. So, I'm going to be starting to work on a Messerschmitt P.1110 Ente. It is a smaller, single engine fighter jet designed by the Third Reich at the end of the WWII (only ever on paper). The interesting thing about this aircraft is that it will be a canard-configured EDF.

This will be my first canard aircraft. I plan on powering it with a 50mm EDF and length of around 35 in. and a wingspan of a little less than that.

3bmente.jpg
08b-1.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So, with winter break almost upon me, and with a lengthened design cut off date, I'm going to be adding an additional aircraft to this challenged. It classifies under the fantasy moniker. One of the things I learned with last years challenge, is that a smaller, single-engine aircraft are significantly easier to prototype and to develop. It also means that more people are willing to try out your design once it's completed. So, I'm going to be starting to work on a Messerschmitt P.1110 Ente. It is a smaller, single engine fighter jet designed by the Third Reich at the end of the WWII (only ever on paper). The interesting thing about this aircraft is that it will be a canard-configured EDF.

This will be my first canard aircraft. I plan on powering it with a 50mm EDF and length of around 35 in. and a wingspan of a little less than that.

3bmente.jpg
08b-1.jpg

Very cool project! Did you start the build thread yet? I didn't see it...

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
That should make for a really nice flying aircraft. If I had more time I'd try something like that as a rocket powered model.

3bmente.jpg
08b-1.jpg

Zephyr1

Elite member
That should make for a really nice flying aircraft. If I had more time I'd try something like that as a rocket powered model.

It'd be pretty sweet to see as a rocket powered model. I don't know how you'd have to balance it though. Because the canard configuration has the center of lift behind the CG, would that make it easier or harder to turn into a rocket?

I've also been realizing that this aircraft could make an excellent pusher configured jet if I wanted to try it that way. (I will, eventually)

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
It'd be pretty sweet to see as a rocket powered model. I don't know how you'd have to balance it though. Because the canard configuration has the center of lift behind the CG, would that make it easier or harder to turn into a rocket?

I've also been realizing that this aircraft could make an excellent pusher configured jet if I wanted to try it that way. (I will, eventually)

I for one would have it radio controlled as a rocket, so you just fly it on the way up. On an Aerotech E6 or something of a similar thrust curve, it would be extremely docile.

Definitely a good planform for a parkjet too. The neat thing I've found about pusher rocket models in the 20-25" span range is that you can make a plug in mount with a 1306 or similar stuck to it and change from rocket to electric power in about 30 seconds (including the time required to recheck the motor rotation and switch batteries).

Horseman3381

Update #3 Don Karnage's Triplane:

I got version 2.1 of the tri-plane and the bi-plane version out to test the latest modifications to them, and they flew significantly better. I think with the latest few modifications I am going to call the design done and work to get plans updated and a build video together to complete my entry.

Full update can be found on the build page HERE (Due to camera issues I do not have video of the flights, sorry)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Wow super cool!!.........But I was asking FoamyDM:p

I checked the 2nd post and he's up to seven!!!
He's trying to win via the shotgun method! :LOL:

HAHA:ROFLMAO:

yup 7 (10).

In-progress Attempts at flight:
VF-9 - I need to fix the "canards" and put an engine and go already
AF-X1 - I need a night to Rebuild (and add CF spars I think) Now that i know more about flying crap, I might get this to work.
Flying Submarine - left over from Last year! This one is a labor of love. Still need to confirm proof of flight. (not pizza toss style)
New
Logan 6 X-stream - (Based on a toy)
Carrier Heavy Fighter- Crimson Skies Concept sketch inspired -Heaven's Spade
Dragster medium Fighter- Crimson Skies Concept sketch inspired -Heaven's Spade
Sparrow Light Fighter - Crimson Skies Concept sketch inspired -Heaven's Spade
Mosquito Light Fighter - Crimson Skies Concept sketch inspired -Devils' Dozen
SkyScreamer medium Fighter - Crimson Skies Concept sketch inspired -Devils' Dozen
Big Bat Heavy Fighter- Crimson Skies Concept sketch inspired -Devils' Dozen

What Can I say... I'm inspired. - Thank you @rockyboy