Flitetest DIY Gremlins

Bama3Dr

It is nice that they made the bolt holes on the top so that they'll use all the common 2 - 2.5" props and not just the props with the original Babyhawk motor bolt pattern.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I would say just get one of the new ones (if you don't mind it looking different) or get one of the originals. Reading the description of the new version it looks like the performance will probably be pretty close to the original motors since it has the same size and KV, they just made it stronger with better cooling.

- Dustin
Yeah but if the new ones have more thrust due to better efficiency, less resistance, and/or better magnets I might end up getting some adverse effects.

Bama3Dr

Yeah but if the new ones have more thrust due to better efficiency, less resistance, and/or better magnets I might end up getting some adverse effects.

I don't think it would hurt anything. Skitzo did a video a while back where he built a quad out of his parts bin using all different size motors, different KV, different propeller sizes etc. on all 4 corners and it actually flew pretty well. The flight controllers we use seem to be really good at compensating for differences between the motors.

It was a pretty entertaining video:

- Dustin

It's been a while since I posted my koopaquad gremlin frame. Shortly after that post, I changed jobs, my wife and I bought a house, and have been swamped with a million other things. BUT!!! I FINALLY got to do some flying and get some flight footage of it. It really does fly well given how aerodynamically irresponsible it is. Plus, it makes everyone smile to see it coming. :)

Pardon the limited edit. I'm not good at video editing to start with, and this was all done on my phone, but at least you can see that it does fly!

I think you'll find that the Avan 2327 props are WAY better than the Emax 2345's in terms of jitter, shake, prop wash handling, etc. Let us know how it flies with them.

- Dustin
The Avan props are amazing compared to the 2345s! It is literally night and day difference between the two. I have flown close to 20 packs on them now. They are super durable, in fact I have only replaced them for having servery bent or nicked blades, I have yet to have one completely break. They feel better at every throttle range and seem to have a similar flight time to the 2345s. They also got rid of all my jello. FT should start stocking these as they are the best 2.3" props I have used hands down.

RotorBearron

Hi All,

Are there options for different flight controllers for the Gremlins? I have a Bixler frame and was considering the EMAX Magnum F3 AIO Mini Flight Controller Stack. I haven't measured my Gremlin to see, if it would fit. I'm really looking to get OSD.

Thanks,
Daryl

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The whole concept for the Gremlins was to see what people do with them.

Your only constraints are imagination and wallet.

I killed one of the esc's on mine. Thought it was the motor but when I started looking into it found a crusty toasted component on the esc.

I am pondering the same upgrade with the stack and new motors for next summer.

I will say to plan on getting longer standoffs so you can fit it all inside. I already used longer ones on mine so I could invert the rear motors to get the prop line more at center of mass. This also as a boon seems to protect the rear props and motors better.

RotorBearron

The whole concept for the Gremlins was to see what people do with them.

Your only constraints are imagination and wallet.

I killed one of the esc's on mine. Thought it was the motor but when I started looking into it found a crusty toasted component on the esc.

I am pondering the same upgrade with the stack and new motors for next summer.

I will say to plan on getting longer standoffs so you can fit it all inside. I already used longer ones on mine so I could invert the rear motors to get the prop line more at center of mass. This also as a boon seems to protect the rear props and motors better.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Yeah that would work if you're cutting your own. The only frame FT sells that's supposed to use a 20x20mm board is the turbo gremlin frame... I think.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The Josh Bixler frame easily has room to mount a 20x20 stack. Youd just have to drill the bolt holes to mount it.

Using 25mm stand offs should give you the height too. This will allow you to do as I did on mine and invert the motors to get the prop line even and centered.

Grind

Are Gremlins still cool, or has the fad passed? I hope not, because I just got one together. I need to clean up the wiring and do something about the antennae, but it's operational. No real maiden flight, yet, other than a quick test of lift, yaw, roll, pitch, in the living room... And I don't really have much more experience than Walmart toy flying.

20190930_094159.jpg

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Are Gremlins still cool, or has the fad passed? I hope not, because I just got one together. I need to clean up the wiring and do something about the antennae, but it's operational. No real maiden flight, yet, other than a quick test of lift, yaw, roll, pitch, in the living room... And I don't really have much more experience than Walmart toy flying.

View attachment 143997
The fad may have passed but I still have fun flying mine...
Yours looks awesome by the way.

Fidget

Ditto. Seems like toothpick quads and brushless whoops are the new fad, but I'm just finally improving my skills on my gremlin sized quad.

Bricks

Master member
Ditto. Seems like toothpick quads and brushless whoops are the new fad, but I'm just finally improving my skills on my gremlin sized quad.

We have Tiny Whoop races and what we have found for the longer straighter courses the brushless is a tad better but tight turning courses the brushless shine.

Ihichi Bolls

We have Tiny Whoop races and what we have found for the longer straighter courses the brushless is a tad better but tight turning courses the brushless shine.

Change the rates. I run under 50dps on pitch n roll but over 800 on yaw with some feed forward I am learning and testing with. The key is ZERO expo and super low super rates.. like under 20 low or even linear with zero super rate if you haz da skillz.