FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Wow this thread just suddenly stopped! Perhaps no one has done anything RC since January. I doubt it but then.

Just to revive this old thread I test flew/maidened a scratch built TT for a local beginner at our local club. It flew twice without incident as you would expect! Ready to hand over!

DSCF0021 (3).JPG

Also formalized the offer of a new and test flown TT for any and all new club members for them to learn on!

Did lots of other things as well, (as usual),

Have fun!

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Update from earlier, made a pile of foam shavings :). Who can guess what this was and what’s it’s sort of based off of,
image.jpg

This should be pretty easy to guess what it was, maybe not so much what it’s loosely based off of.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
I haven’t been able to do much flying recently, but have been seeing plenty of aircraft. I have been in Yellowknife, Canada for the past 3 weeks working on cold weather full scale flight testing! Temps have been as low as minus 40 up here. One of the neat things, is that Buffalo Airways is based on the airport, and I have gotten a front row seat watching their C-46s and Lockheed Electras taxi out and takeoff almost every day. Thought I’d share a few photos from the trip so far:
FAC32D17-F64D-4005-9592-8E746A8A1F06.jpeg

EF78741D-A779-4EB0-A80D-CF298CE819CB.jpeg

59EAECCF-7C3D-493B-9414-BC5D7007FD89.jpeg

And a shot of our test machine courtesy of vertical mag:

EB78BB9B-209F-43C0-9D13-A941C48EABCD.jpeg

Paracodespoder

Elite member
It looks great!
Thanks! While working on a different one (pictures in a moment) I made an awesome discovery. Who remembers the how to train your dragon video flitetest did? In it Chad showed how to paint scales, I found a way to do it that is really easy to do on these little dollar tree gliders. Sharpie and sandpaper, sharpie the are you want scales then 2 passes with some sandpaper and whala, perfect scales. Unfortunately it only works on foams that are made up of of small beads :confused:. In the followng picture you seee plain sharpie foam on the top and bottom and sanded slightly in the middle.
image.jpg

And here is the current one I am working on, a twin boom based very loosely (and I mean very) on the dehaivland vampire.
image.jpg

Tench745

Master member
I haven’t been able to do much flying recently, but have been seeing plenty of aircraft. I have been in Yellowknife, Canada for the past 3 weeks working on cold weather full scale flight testing! Temps have been as low as minus 40 up here. One of the neat things, is that Buffalo Airways is based on the airport, and I have gotten a front row seat watching their C-46s and Lockheed Electras taxi out and takeoff almost every day. Thought I’d share a few photos from the trip so far:
Very Cool!

OliverW

Legendary member
Thanks! While working on a different one (pictures in a moment) I made an awesome discovery. Who remembers the how to train your dragon video flitetest did? In it Chad showed how to paint scales, I found a way to do it that is really easy to do on these little dollar tree gliders. Sharpie and sandpaper, sharpie the are you want scales then 2 passes with some sandpaper and whala, perfect scales. Unfortunately it only works on foams that are made up of of small beads :confused:. In the followng picture you seee plain sharpie foam on the top and bottom and sanded slightly in the middle. View attachment 124034
And here is the current one I am working on, a twin boom based very loosely (and I mean very) on the dehaivland vampire. View attachment 124039
That's awesome!

Paracodespoder

Elite member
And a little update on the “DT not so Bugatti” here’s where the mods are at now,
image.jpg
image.jpg

And just to make it even easier to transport, I added a couple broken magnets and some skewers to make the wings removable. Not yet sure how I’m going to make the control surfaces or how to disconnect the aileron pushrods to remove the wings, any ideas? (I only want to use one servo for the ailerons, also, I do have one thought on to do it with linkage stoppers)
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
I think the optimal motor for this would be a 1407 or similar but I am going to attempt it with an 1106, so this version may be a little under powered (don’t have anything else that’s small enough).

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The aforementioned TT was test flown again today and handed to the new owner.

I also received a printed copy of the FT Viggen plans, :eek:o_O They are HUGE!

Anyway 3 Viggens to build and No FB handy. Start next weekend?

Have fun!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Time for a ground based, FPV Aircraft carrier body for my Traxxas Slash. Would be great for touch and gos at indoor flys...
Slash.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Been working on my Phoenix 2000 i picked up on black friday from Hobbyking ($88 shipped PNF). Doing Andrew Newton's Slope mods. One piece wing with Rubber band attachments for those hard landings. Laminating the entire wing as well. Some id cards in areas where breaks happen and to protect from rubber band pressure.
IMG_20190213_215059.jpg IMG_20190213_215109.jpg IMG_20190213_215113.jpg IMG_20190213_215122.jpg IMG_20190218_174202.jpg

Took my F-sst slope wing to Santa cruz, ca and Monterey, ca this weekend. Wind was 8mph at sunset state beach (first pic) so no flying, but great spot. 25mph in Monterey and had a great time fighting the wind to not get ejected.
IMG_20190216_113930.jpg IMG_20190217_154601.jpg

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
What a fun afternoon of flying. Crashed my Goblin a little when I lost orientation but it is an easy repair.
The Rainbow Flying Wing is just a super relaxing plane to fly, did ten minutes flight on around 250ma of its 1000mAh battery. The Volador 3D plane was great to fly in the very light wind we had today. Two flights on my Phenix60, the first of which I recorded and took to a bit of height to test its stall. Nasty sharp to the right is the answer which makes me fairly sure the last crash I had on it where it rolled over sharp to the right was a stall, not a radio control failure.