Question about starting an outreach

frogman

I was at a men's group meeting at my church today and we were looking for ways to reach kids in our community and their families. I brought up the idea of a flying ministry cause I remembered Josh Bixler always talking about one at his church. Turns out there was an older guy at the breakfast today that used to help build Apollo rockets. He did something similar in a church years ago that started with pinewood derby cars. They built the cars, then the track, the balsa chuck gliders and moved into motorized planes and eventually a custom rocket that shot an model of an Apollo module 2000 feet up. When he heard me talk about FT his face lit up. Then I discovered one of the kids that was there with his dad just started working at the local hobby shop. Sounds like we have some pieces in place.

Is there a place to get some guidance and info on starting something like this. I checked the STEM page but it was all grade level stuff. How would that be adapted to something like this. Any ideas or guidance?

My initial thoughts were to start with the FT chuck gliders and learning simple build stuff and teaching some flight concepts then move up to building better stuff. One thought I had was to create a small program where a kid sticks with it and works through to a point where they can build and fly and then they get a full kit including a radio setup. Am I on the right track? Is there a better way to get this going? I'm open to ideas and input.

Initially this would start as a once a month get together of a bunch of guys and kids in the community. We have a small church in the middle of a small town neighborhood but the field I fly at is on the edge of town overlooking the country and is only a few blocks away. So we have a field to fly.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I too am getting something going, not at my church but at our school. Either way I think you can make it work. I've only held one class so far. It'll be 1 hour every other week which doesn't seem like much but it is a start.

First, define a primary and maybe some secondary & terciary goals so that you can justify eveything as somehow supporting that purpose. STEM is simple because everyone is supporting it these days at fed and state levels. Just check out the Dept of Ed sites on STEM and I'm sure you'll find explanations from their point of view why STEM is needed. I like the collaborative problem solving side of it. Working in a church is good because you can show how a Bible based background actually makes more sense with science. Many assume there is a tension between the God's word and science.

Make sure you define your target audience so that the lessons/challenges will fit their knowledge/skill level and take them to the next.

Money might be a problem initially but if you present it well you're likely to find some willingness to pitch in some funds to get things going. For this I outlined different phases of involvement that would incorporate more equipment as the STEMclub grew.

I'm happy to share more if you like, whatever I have. I'm happy to throw some ideas back and forth too as this STEM idea is new for me too and want to see good things for the kids.

frogman

Thanks for the feedback. The intention was not really STEM but it is of course a great side benefit of the whole thing.

Funding wise I don't think it will be a problem initially as it would be a few sheets of foamboard and hot glue. We can build in the basement and toss them in the sanctuary. (of course have Christian rock playing on the big screen. :D) We have some money in our men's budget to help if things start rolling...at least initially.

I didn't think of the interesting spin of tying the science of the concepts back to bible based program and that's kinda cool. I'm not the leader of the men's group and he has to balance my ideas with other suggestions that came in or will be thrown out. It may get some traction as his son is into RC trucks and recently got a quad. He doesn't come to church and this would be a good chance to get him involved. He was there this morning and I told him if this took off (pun intended) I needed his help. He was game.

Anyway thanks for the input and feel free to stay in touch with ideas and suggestions as your program grows. I may be in touch a bit if we get the ok and get this rolling. If nothing else I hope to get a men's outing at the flying field and do some buddy boxing with everyone.

BorisTheSpider

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread to jump in and mention that I, too, am trying to get a hurch group going. I was hoping to have it going a few months back (about when this thread was posted) but my schedule has been hectic. I'm also pretty unsure of how exactly to get it going.
I've read these tips and many like it, but I was hoping someone could give some very specific instances of what they did to get theirs going. How did you define your goals? What were the phases you planned out? That sort of thing.

I'm not a teacher by nature -- my brain works very differently than others'. I haven't any experience starting any kind of group. I am being convicted to get this going, I have the support of the Youth Minister, and I know it will explode (doesn't hurt that we worship about 45 seconds from the grounds of Flite Fest), but I'm really afraid I'm going to mess it up. Also, I've delayed way too long already.

Any help here or via pm will be greatly appreciated!

JGplanes

I'm in this with you guys... Currently planning a one evening "Take Flight Night" for the youth with the support of several RC friends. Here are some activities I am planning.

1. Building chuck gliders
2. Buddy boxing
3. Flying small drones (tiny whoop races)
4. Drone demonstration (Mavic) and maybe even explanation of Part 107 certification.
5. Airshow with bigger RC planes
6. Card stock gliders and handouts for them to take home
7. Paper airplane contest for the younger kids
8. A community build of a scaled up FT model (maybe).
9. Drone, RC, and full scale simulators.
10. Devotional with an aviation theme/illustrations.

I'm looking for ideas also, so any feedback is appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, would anyone be interested in a ministry that could bring all this to a church/school for a day/evening? I have most of these items, but would need support/sponsorship to be able to travel with it; i.e. mobile FT Ministry. This is kinda my dream.

JG

dgrigor02

Very similiar at our church but the airplane is a bit too much upfront costs and the church gym is not quite bit enough for indoor flight.

I'm going the route of building the mini hovercraft ( similiar to the derby cars of yesteryear ), having different tracks in the church gym and racing them. Entry point is really cheap as emachine e10s are like $12. Foam for the hovercraft is negligable costs. I'm gearing mostly for 1st thru 4th grade but of course I'm sure the older kids will get in on it too. Also will be good in wintertime here in MN.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Sounds like what I want to do with Maker Faire. :) Your idea's a good one, I'm just not a religious type (nothing against those who are, just not for me) so I wouldn't know the first thing about a ministry in that respect.

But, flight is flight, and enjoyment and happiness at seeing kids throwing paper airplanes, gliders, rubber band powered free flight, rc planes, etc...Or even watching adults become kids again as they fly stuff, THAT is why I share the info and the bug of the hobby.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
One thought I had was to create a small program where a kid sticks with it and works through to a point where they can build and fly and then they get a full kit including a radio setup.
So how is it going, an update would be nice.

JGplanes

As far as my part, we haven't done anything RC yet. Winter...
We did have a VR night for the older youth, and I gave them rides with my simulation setup (DCS L-39). They all loved it. I've talked to a few of the youth and they are excited to have something like this soon. One of them joined CAP this year, so they are really getting into planes.

That's about all for now. I haven't forgotten this thread, and will post an update when we finally host an activity.

BorisTheSpider

On my end, I'm still stuck in "planning" mode. Last year was a rough one, barely spent any time at home, which was one of the concerns I had trying to commit to it. New Year, new company, hopefully new schedule. I've begun leading Children's Church from time to time -- I figured it would help get me accustomed to being in front of children and help me build a relationship with some of the children and parents I intend to work with. With Edgewater getting closer to actually opening, I'm re-examining my ideas too. Our gym is big enough for chuck gliders and very slow-flying planes and we have a big field out back that will work for a good bit too, but having a Disneyland of flight a few miles away will really open up even more options. Not to mention the possibility of getting some direct assistance from some of the FT staff later on.

I'm still worried about failure, but still pushing forward as well as I can.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
The best way to get people interested is to just start flying. If people go for the first time and all they experience is the build they might get a bit turned off. I would suggest getting a couple hobbyzone duets and just start flying. People will love just being outside and getting the chance to fly. Good luck with this!

BorisTheSpider

So how is it going, an update would be nice.

So I finally had a trial run. Our plans changed quite a bit up until we finally got it started. We ran 4 kids, two of which were mine, and used gift cards and sanding blocks. We built Tiny Trainers as chuck gliders and went out to the big yard behind the church to toss them around in some pretty strong winds once they were built. I learned a lot, hit a tough spot where some of the kids got bored right before the wings were assembled and installed. Once it was all done, though, the kids lit up as they grabbed the markers to start decorating.

Attachments

• 58543500_10210982993329945_7041278713454919680_o.jpg
    58543500_10210982993329945_7041278713454919680_o.jpg
    700.5 KB · Views: 0

FDS

Elite member
Indoor mini quads like the Eachine 010 are great for getting kids and adults interested in RC, you can make courses to fly them through line of sight and the extra batteries are cheap.
I made a load of throw glider LongEZ’s with kids for work, I think if I was doing it again I would have made Nerdnics simple chuck gliders for inside, they are really quick to build, then offered more complex stuff if some of the participants want to do more.

Jackson T

Elite member
Good on you! I'm too young for leading a ministry or workshop of any kind myself, but I am looking for some similar ideas for younger kids that take an interest in my planes (there's a few of them). I am thinking something like building a really simple chuck glider to take home, than doing some buddy boxing. Does that idea sound alright?

BorisTheSpider

Good on you! I'm too young for leading a ministry or workshop of any kind myself, but I am looking for some similar ideas for younger kids that take an interest in my planes (there's a few of them). I am thinking something like building a really simple chuck glider to take home, than doing some buddy boxing. Does that idea sound alright?

#1 Don't let your age stop you. If you have a passion for it, you can probably find an adult to help support you if need be.

My plan is to do some more building, and get to following the FT STEM curriculum, but not strictly. The overall goal is to reach as many kids as possible - and especially the kids that would normally be passed over by the school's STEm programs. They all seem to be wide open for the best students, but I want to make sure everyone gets a chance to learn. And I would really like to get parents and their children involved together - build stronger connections with families and the community. And of course, to get them into RC flight. That means more gliders, more exploring the concepts of flight and design, doing some towing to release 2-channel gliders, and yes, probably some buddy boxing.

Jackson T

Elite member
If you have a sea duck or kraken you could do piggy back rides with sparrows the kids make themselves. Aerotowing would be really fun, but it might be a bit hard for younger kids.
And I would really like to get parents and their children involved together - build stronger connections with families and the community.
That's great! A few years ago I scratch built a balsa plane from the plans that came with a kit my dad bought when he was my age. It was great to build something with dad, and he got to build his favourite plane twice! He never flew R/C, but he taught me how to make paper planes and basic balsa chuck gliders, and I just took off from there :p

BorisTheSpider

If you have a sea duck or kraken you could do piggy back rides with sparrows the kids make themselves. Aerotowing would be really fun, but it might be a bit hard for younger kids.

That's great! A few years ago I scratch built a balsa plane from the plans that came with a kit my dad bought when he was my age. It was great to build something with dad, and he got to build his favourite plane twice! He never flew R/C, but he taught me how to make paper planes and basic balsa chuck gliders, and I just took off from there :p

That's awesome!

And yeah, you're right -- I'm thinking piggyback would be much better than a tow. Alas, I don't have anything capable of that just yet. I will, though, eventually.

bracesport

Legendary member
I’m all for putting one foot in front of the other and just doing it - people will follow!

I hope to spend some time at my sons school to help those interested into the hobby!