My Tiny Trainer Build

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
OK, then. Let's get to flying. I posted my failure (even though it was fun) and my son's gloriously successful inverted flight over on the Get Stupid thread. I've got two more videos for you here.

Take ten minutes. This is my son and I, in two videos flying around and having a ball.

I called him a natural in the video. I really think he is! This is maybe his fourth flight. Absolutely amazing.

More flying to be seen over here, when I get it updated:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ft-mini-scout-newbie-challenge.57186/page-20

We both flew the Mini Scout as well. I've got a lot of catch-up over there, though. It will not happen tonight. Not only did I fly the Mini Scout, I had a shot at the Official Record (and proceeded to crash immediately) It's all fun and we got some good video. I'll get that all posted as soon as I can.

I'm pretty much done for the night. I'll do what I can, when I can. Stay excited, stay interested and most of all? Stay tuned! Fun stuff is incoming at meteoric velocities! (OK, not really meteoric. Actually kind of slow. But you know what I mean. :p)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@Hai-Lee. Tora Tanshi lives. It took some doing but she can fly.

The next video is just for :LOL:

My son and I both verified the direction of all the control surfaces. Basic CRAP check. I threw her into the air, and the elevator was reversed. I still don't know why. I then went into the trans and reversed the elevator, but that's what happens when up is down. :p

I got that sorted out and it was my son's turn next.

He went up with about 70% battery and completely nailed the whole flight. Right down to the landing. That kid can FLY! :D

After that, it was my turn again. Here it is.

I was having a bad flying day. That could have gone better. :LOL:

That 'landing' crunched the PowerPod so bad that the motor was rubbing against the fuse. I had spare PowerPods on hand, but neglected to bring an allen wrench so I could swap the motor. Doh! :oops: Tora Tanshi was done for the day.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
But wait, there's more! We flew 4ch next with 'Perfection' my latest TT build. She was amazing. As mentioned, I was having a bad flying day, so I asked my son to go first. He really flew the heck out of it. He completely owned it. Unfortunately the video I took on my I5 is sideways! As soon as I figure out how to correct that, I'll put up the vid.

Next was my try. I didn't do as well as he did, but here it is.

Four Channel is the only way to go! What an absolute riot! It's really difficult at 100% and I'm actually thinking about putting in some expo, but my gosh was that fun! Where I mentioned the snap roll? That was on purpose, and darn if that little TT didn't roll 360 in the moment it took her to fly her length. Glorious.

I was having a hard time with orientation, and lost her to my lack of it. After the crash, the entire rear elevator had popped off. The glue just gave way. It's a known issue with some of my builds, due to bad glue sticks, or the gun not getting hot enough. Either way, that was the end of day for Perfection and the end of our day as well.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
But wait, there's more! We flew 4ch next with 'Perfection' my latest TT build. She was amazing. As mentioned, I was having a bad flying day, so I asked my son to go first. He really flew the heck out of it. He completely owned it. Unfortunately the video I took on my I5 is sideways! As soon as I figure out how to correct that, I'll put up the vid.

Four Channel is the only way to go! What an absolute riot! It's really difficult at 100% and I'm actually thinking about putting in some expo, but my gosh was that fun! Where I mentioned the snap roll? That was on purpose, and darn if that little TT didn't roll 360 in the moment it took her to fly her length. Glorious.

I was having a hard time with orientation, and lost her to my lack of it. After the crash, the entire rear elevator had popped off. The glue just gave way. It's a known issue with some of my builds, due to bad glue sticks, or the gun not getting hot enough. Either way, that was the end of day for Perfection and the end of our day as well.
There is no such thing as a bad flying day because all air time is valuable experience, (even the bad experiences).

As for the orientation issues Red and blue tapes can both appear to be black when the sun is behind the plane! Better to have a single wide strip on a single wing only until you get really experienced with orientation recognition. As for the Up Vs Down issue I usually like a bright yellow for the top and White for the bottom of the wings. Both are normally discernible in flight and contrast greatly with any black tape lines!

From what I saw the planes you fly are a bit overpowered, (note serious understatement), and I suspect the reason your son manages to fold the wings on the mini scout is that he is pulling some serious maneuvers! If you wish to reinforce the wing without adding serious extra weight you could get a couple of flat pieces of CF strip , (0.5mm x 5mm x about 15cm) and place them in the wing fold before you apply the glue. Where the wing joins wrap the wing after joining in a fibre reinforced packing tape. The result will take a great amount of flying and even incorrect landings without breaking. Mind you serious crashes will still cause damage.

If you decide it is time for a new set of wings the CF can be salvaged and recycled!

Just a suggestion!

Have fun!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member

That was fun to watch. I love that your son treats the throttle as an on/off switch ;)

mayan

Legendary member
Great flying @buzzbomb. I think your sons flying is calmer in between maneuvers which is why it looks better. I agree with @Hai-Lee on the orientation part.

Again don’t forget the rudder with 4ch it’s still there for a reason.

FDS

Elite member
@buzzbomb Flying the TT on full rates no expo is intense! I would have crashed straight off the launch. That was an epic save. I also love your sons flat out flying!
Get a three rate set up on a switch done-
  • tame, with low rates off the deflection gauge then set ailerons a few points lower again, with 30% expo on all, 40% on aileron,
  • high rates, set rates to the high deflection gauge, no change to ailerons, 30% expo all round
  • nuts level with everything 100%.

mayan

Legendary member
@buzzbomb Flying the TT on full rates no expo is intense! I would have crashed straight off the launch. That was an epic save. I also love your sons flat out flying!
Get a three rate set up on a switch done-
  • tame, with low rates off the deflection gauge then set ailerons a few points lower again, with 30% expo on all, 40% on aileron,
  • high rates, set rates to the high deflection gauge, no change to ailerons, 30% expo all round
  • nuts level with everything 100%.
@FDS your darn am right about flying full rates, I dare you to try though.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Pretty sure that was your longest flight to date! (y)

I noticed your flight smoothed out after a bit... I've seen that myself, either too nervous or over controlling... (or both.) ;)
High rates probably didn't help... BUT, I tend to think it helps (forces) you to learn to be a bit more gentle with control inputs...

All in all, looks like you had a great day! (tad jealous here!) :p

mayan

Legendary member
High rates probably didn't help... BUT, I tend to think it helps (forces) you to learn to be a bit more gentle with control inputs...
It helps to learn to fly that way too but flying with rates makes a smother calmer flight I would think. But again I never flew with rates only without.

FDS

Elite member
@mayan Thats what the acro bits of my TT video were shot in, I just keep the rates down for landing and medium for take off/cruising!
I take my hat off to you guys who fly without rates and expo, I couldn’t.

FDS

Elite member
I flew my mini Yak like that, here’s what happened...
66611FDF-05CA-4ABE-B984-B466F704A352.jpeg

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
s for the orientation issues Red and blue tapes can both appear to be black when the sun is behind the plane! Better to have a single wide strip on a single wing only until you get really experienced with orientation recognition.
I see that. It's a Journey and my next build will be modified to suit. I kind of like your idea.

I tend to overthink, and I know that. A single stripe on the top of one wing, maybe two, laterally opposed on the bottom the same wing. I can see that working really well.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Pretty sure that was your longest flight to date! (y)

I noticed your flight smoothed out after a bit... I've seen that myself, either too nervous or over controlling... (or both.) ;)

All in all, looks like you had a great day! (tad jealous here!) :p
Ha, ha, not quite the longest. I've got a few vids out that were full battery flights. It was definitely a blast, though! It was a great afternoon. We went out with six batteries and three flyable planes and came back with three planes that aren't flying without repair and one unused battery. My son brought his best friend along and he was both interested and inquisitive. We had an absolute ball!