Mature/Adult content: Texas man going to jail...likely connection to RC model planes

basslord1124

Master member
https://www.ksat.com/news/woman-shot-husband-detained-in-far-west-side-shooting-deputies-say

Not sure if anybody has seen this but I saw it posted a few days ago in one of the RC plane groups I am in on Facebook. It really caught my attention b/c this is the first case I am aware of that involves murder and a possible connection to RC planes. There were trashed RC planes in the driveway when the cops arrived. Not sure if that was really what their argument(s) were about but it does seem very convincing. Investigation is still on going so don't know at this point if this was what the argument was about.

From looking at their Facebook profiles they seemed like a happy couple. It also appeared he lost his planes before in a fire. It surprised me too on the age of the couple...not young at all. I always heard folks were kinda tough in Texas but makes me wanna think twice before messing with a 70 year old Texas man and his planes.

Now I am crazy about this hobby as much as the next RC plane addict. I would never kill someone (especially my wife) over it even if we were having issues. Planes (especially our foamboard ones) can be rebuilt/replaced. Yes I would be devastated but can't say it would drive me to kill. I have noticed that it seems some wives/girlfriends don't take this hobby well, so she could've been one of those. And some don't seem to have much problem with it. Mine doesn't give me too my grief over it and I try to do what I can to keep her happy. From his situation, it looks like he was into balsa planes and no doubt probably spent some money and time on them. I have known some folks too who have had such bad experiences with wives/girlfriends that they have vowed to stay single and fly their planes.

I dunno...just crazy! Sorry for my rambling post, just wanted to share this story and hear people's thoughts.

JTarmstr

Elite member
https://www.ksat.com/news/woman-shot-husband-detained-in-far-west-side-shooting-deputies-say

Not sure if anybody has seen this but I saw it posted a few days ago in one of the RC plane groups I am in on Facebook. It really caught my attention b/c this is the first case I am aware of that involves murder and a possible connection to RC planes. There were trashed RC planes in the driveway when the cops arrived. Not sure if that was really what their argument(s) were about but it does seem very convincing. Investigation is still on going so don't know at this point if this was what the argument was about.

From looking at their Facebook profiles they seemed like a happy couple. It also appeared he lost his planes before in a fire. It surprised me too on the age of the couple...not young at all. I always heard folks were kinda tough in Texas but makes me wanna think twice before messing with a 70 year old Texas man and his planes.

Now I am crazy about this hobby as much as the next RC plane addict. I would never kill someone (especially my wife) over it even if we were having issues. Planes (especially our foamboard ones) can be rebuilt/replaced. Yes I would be devastated but can't say it would drive me to kill. I have noticed that it seems some wives/girlfriends don't take this hobby well, so she could've been one of those. And some don't seem to have much problem with it. Mine doesn't give me too my grief over it and I try to do what I can to keep her happy. From his situation, it looks like he was into balsa planes and no doubt probably spent some money and time on them. I have known some folks too who have had such bad experiences with wives/girlfriends that they have vowed to stay single and fly their planes.

I dunno...just crazy! Sorry for my rambling post, just wanted to share this story and hear people's thoughts.

Wow. just. Wow. I saw what looked like a 1/4 scale cub, probably a ton of work to build. Some people become so attached to something they obsess over it, so if she destroyed all his airplanes that may well have driven him to kill. Very unfortunate. Material objects hold no value whatsoever compared to a person.

BTW maybe it would be a good idea to edit the thread title reflecting the adult content? there are some younger users on this forum

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
I am sorry but can’t understand this. If you killed your wife over RC planes what gain do you get from it? I mean in prison no one will let you fly RC planes. So what’s the point. Generally can’t understand ppl killing others over material things that you won’t enjoy in prison.

slembcke

Ick. I'm glad my spouse encourages my hobbies, sometimes she even joins me. (She hasn't taken a liking to assembly programming though...)

@mayan That's why premeditated murder has a higher penalty I think. Somebody really did think it through, including some risk/benefit assesment and still considered it a good idea.

FDS

Elite member
I would have considered setting all your stuff in fire a pretty clear signal that there was a big marital issue going on. I have the emotional range of a brick but that might have alerted even me that my other half was a trifle upset.
Sad that it ended in violence.

Hoomi

Master member
I consider myself extremely blessed. My wife and I both have our hobbies, and we both encourage each other in those. I'm not really into her hobbies, and she's not really into mine, but we both recognize that those activities are important to the other, and that, in itself, makes it worth supporting.

Based on what my wife sees on some of the hobby groups she's in, that often isn't the case. Some people belittle their significant other's interests, and that can only foster resentment and anger. I suspect that was the situation behind this story.

mayan

Legendary member
I consider myself extremely blessed. My wife and I both have our hobbies, and we both encourage each other in those. I'm not really into her hobbies, and she's not really into mine, but we both recognize that those activities are important to the other, and that, in itself, makes it worth supporting.

Based on what my wife sees on some of the hobby groups she's in, that often isn't the case. Some people belittle their significant other's interests, and that can only foster resentment and anger. I suspect that was the situation behind this story.
Word! That is exactly how it is for me and my wife. She has her hobbies I have mine and we just support each other. When I am out looking at stuff for my hobby at art stores I'll look for some stuff for her too, and if I find something and gift it to her when I get home, she'll smile from ear to ear and that is worth it all.