Mini space to fly?

Dirtbos

I live on 2.3 acres. There is a turn out for our horses that is 100 ft X 100 feet. Is this enough area to take off and land?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I live on 2.3 acres. There is a turn out for our horses that is 100 ft X 100 feet. Is this enough area to take off and land?
It depends on the plane, most of the mighty minis will work fine in that area, the standard (swappable) sized planes won't really work.

Spacefarer

If you fly close to the legal limit with a larger plane it could work, especially if the plane has an easy to see form like a glider. But if you have forests around, it's a big risk to crash. I would personally try experimenting with slow STOL planes, they would have enough space to do some fun stuff with.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
If you are very good at landing and there are no trees or power lines to hit. Then maybe. So much depend on the surrounding area. Would you be flying over, a subdivision, a forest or an open field? I don't care how good you are or how reliable your equipment is, it's not a question on if you will crash but when. When you crash what will you hit and can you get your plane back.

Dirtbos

If you are very good at landing and there are no trees or power lines to hit. Then maybe. So much depend on the surrounding area. Would you be flying over, a subdivision, a forest or an open field? I don't care how good you are or how reliable your equipment is, it's not a question on if you will crash but when. When you crash what will you hit and can you get your plane back.
Thank you for everyone's input.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
You could have a lot of fun in that area with a cheap, toy-grade quad. Once you get past the hover, go out, come back, left and right stage and decide you want to fly it around like a plane, you'll have a better understanding of the available airspace and potential hazards.

You could be fairly confident that if the area is too small to comfortably fly a little quad around in, it is way to small for most RC planes. If you're cruising around with no problem, then you could look into ramping it up with a Mighty Mini. I haven't the skill to do it yet, but many of them are fully capable of slow, low and close.

joelspangler

100 x 100 really is not big enough for a beginner to learn to fly planes in. Most struggle on a little league field which is 200 feet to the fence. A football field is 160x300 feet. At 100 feet you would be constantly turning and would not be able to do necessary things like trimming the plane. I agree that a small quad would be a much better option for the space that you have. You can go pretty cheap or get something like a mobula 7 and some cheap goggles for fpv flight.