What would you like to see as the new FT scratch build aircraft.

earthquake

Has any one done a F 117 Nighthawk yet? Since it is almost all flat panels on the real thing it should be easy to build from foam.

Casey

Niez13

Elite member
What I would like to see is a biplane in the 1100mm scale size. I built the mini SE5 and while it was a fun build (even applied the graphics), a SPAD, Nieuport 17 or Sopwith Camel would be a great addition to the FT collection.
What about a Pitts Special with a C pack, master series style?

Aero_Knight

A strong P-38 honestly would be nice and fun to build. Design could be done with identical (instead of mirrored) power pack compatible engine boom structures to make it easy to construct and use a variant of the A-10 nose structure for the main fuse. Make the tail plane just slightly larger than normal as I think it'll be pretty nose heavy. If your sneaky you could make the main fuse capable of mounting a power pack for push or pull.

Niez13

Elite member
A strong P-38 honestly would be nice and fun to build. Design could be done with identical (instead of mirrored) power pack compatible engine boom structures to make it easy to construct and use a variant of the A-10 nose structure for the main fuse. Make the tail plane just slightly larger than normal as I think it'll be pretty nose heavy. If your sneaky you could make the main fuse capable of mounting a power pack for push or pull.
Have you happened to see John Overstreet’s P-38 at all?

Javiester

Elite member
El Polikarpov I-16
I have plans, if someone needs them

i-16_polikarpov_tinker.jpg

Image00102-1024x685.jpg

Aero_Knight

I actually think from talking to him and seeing his build style, it shouldn’t be too difficult.
So I do agree overall it wouldn't be to difficult, however, I think what makes FliteTest designs is how user-friendly they are in terms of "TIME". Most can be done in an afternoon and I actually did the Raptor in around a half hour so the appeal of doing a scratch built RC aircraft quickly is pretty high. FT designs are even faster with a family member or friend. Now I am not saying that his work couldn't be done in a day (Especially if you can get the pieces pre-cut) but I think most of those big builds are all day long projects. I do want to make his F-14 really bad though regardless how long it takes LoL

JTarmstr

Elite member
I honestly think the P-38 is to complex of a design to scratchbuild quickly, plus the FT style boxy fuse really doesnt lend itself to the P-38's lines.

Niez13

Elite member
So I do agree overall it wouldn't be to difficult, however, I think what makes FliteTest designs is how user-friendly they are in terms of "TIME". Most can be done in an afternoon and I actually did the Raptor in around a half hour so the appeal of doing a scratch built RC aircraft quickly is pretty high. FT designs are even faster with a family member or friend. Now I am not saying that his work couldn't be done in a day (Especially if you can get the pieces pre-cut) but I think most of those big builds are all day long projects. I do want to make his F-14 really bad though regardless how long it takes LoL
John Overstreet actually told me that his F-14 is easier and faster to build than this FT Corsair. I got to see it in person and it was super simple and easier to build.

Aero_Knight

Has any one done a F 117 Nighthawk yet? Since it is almost all flat panels on the real thing it should be easy to build from foam.

Casey
I have one that is waiting to fly but I need to redo the way the servos work and make the surfaces just a bit larger. Use the link in my signature if your interested in what it looks like.

Aero_Knight

Turns out the scaling appeals to both the P-38 and the P-61 lovers depending on how you look at it. Aside from the wings I limited curving and stuck to standard folds. I am sure you could make smoother curves for the nose but my CAD program isn't friendly with those types of bends. The rear of the center fuse has a standard firewall mount and the sides pods are designed for "swap-able" mini firewalls. The nose/bottom cover can be modded to house a forward facing "swap-able" mini firewall. In theory you could have four 4" props running if you are a madman. Nose cones can be mounted to the side pods if you only want a center prop setup. Optional Rudder surfaces and bomb bay access door on the underside for the battery. You will need carbon or wood spars as the wings are not one piece but two. I will do an official post later on with better photos. When I have more time to adjust the flat pattern errors that Solidworks does since foamboard doesn't "stretch" like metals, I will post patterns. Same with the F-117 someone was looking for earlier.
FTP-3861 Model (Completed).png

Brianna81

I would love to see alot of you use your imagination and create something new. there is alot of talent on this site. so put on your thinking cap. be unique.

I'm no good at designing things, but it seems WW1 fighters are popular on this thread right now. How about making a bi/tri out of something that wasn't meant to be that way? I'm thinking like, a B2 bomber bi-wing? Or maybe like, just a bi-wing on either side of the cockpit instead of 2 wings all the way across? Maybe an SR-71 that mid air could have expand/retract X-wings? I'm thinking the F-16 could look cool as a bi-plane as well :)

Aero_Knight

If you manage to do that, post some plans, I want a simple P-38 :D
Try these out if your up for beta testing with limited instruction LoL. Just need two spars that go through the center fuse. I forgot to mark the holes for them.

Attachments

• P-3861 Pattern Set A.pdf
    26.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P-3861 Pattern Set B.pdf
    17.5 KB · Views: 0