NO SERVOS WERE HURT IN THRUST VECTORING EXPERIMENT

L Edge

Master member
Pushing the limit, I decided to test a dual 70mm's thrust vectoring nozzle plane to see how well thrust vectoring provides roll, pitch and yaw WITHOUT ANY MOVING SURFACEs on the plane. All controls are directed to the thrust vectoring nozzles.

Concept:
2 nozzles up will produce pitch
1 nozzle down, other up, will produce roll
2 nozzles move to right or left togeather produce yaw

Results:
1) Need good thrust to release.
2) Thrust vectoring works in all 3 axis.
3) Prepare for damage when one of the EDF's stops in flight.

As pilot's will tell you, the ground god's get the plane sooner or later. How many can say they flew a plane without any moving surfaces on the plane?

L Edge

Master member
Let me give you the downside of this.

In order to have control, you must have airflow thru the nozzles for the landing. Hence, you have to come in with good forward speed real, real low, chop the throttle, and let it float in by itself. Whenever the airflow finally quits, you have no control!!!! What about if it quits in the air?

evranch

I guess if you wanted to have no control surfaces at all, you could just fly it down to the ground and land at high speed, carrier landing style. Put some skid plates underneath it, chop throttle on touchdown, and prepare for a long slide.

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
That's true, but I would like to have elevons so that I can fly the plane through its entire flight envelope.

Hello. I'm working with the same concept and would like to set up something similar without control surfaces just, smaller lol I previously posted with my current set up of scavenged drone components installed on gliders. Love the build and the brain fuel of ideas here

L Edge

Master member
Hello. I'm working with the same concept and would like to set up something similar without control surfaces just, smaller lol I previously posted with my current set up of scavenged drone components installed on gliders. Love the build and the brain fuel of ideas here

Why don't you try a 2 axis (elevator and rudder) motor/prop setup on the rear of a glider?

@L Edge I may eventually but currently I'm limited by my experience and I've only operated home built micro flyers with no control surfaces. My goal is to perfect this as much as possible before moving up a skill level. My reaction time isn't the best so low and slow is where I'm at. My favorite plane so far is below but needs an over haul. Broke a few wires after an impromptu tree landing
Screenshot_20190619-155839.png