My first three Trainer Builds - AND Modifications, because I'm not normal!!

PoorManRC

Master member
Hey another plane from ya! Watching this thread. :) Looking good so far. Haven't given a whole lot of the minis a try...TT and Scout mainly. Hoping to see more from it.

You definitely will. 😉 Whenever I can get an ESC.
I brought this back from the Dead, because I thought I would take her up, and get even more comfortable with the Sticks. The Cub debacle made me think..... Basic.

I've GOT enough 40A+ Electronics. Ironically it seems that the Scout will be ready to go first! 😜

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Hey another plane from ya! Watching this thread. :) Looking good so far. Haven't given a whole lot of the minis a try...TT and Scout mainly. Hoping to see more from it.
Bro you have to try out the Srubsmacker by @Grifflyer. You can use all the same bells and whistles on it like the Storch or the Cub but it's smaller. Flies amazing with the F Pack. It's the FT Commuters competition. A solid little beast:
20190817_193556.jpg 20190817_193709.jpg 20190817_193736.jpg
I have added a few things to it but it is set up as a 4 channel now, I am thinking of building a wing that will include flaps as well

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
Bro you have to try out the Srubsmacker by @Grifflyer. You can use all the same bells and whistles on it like the Storch or the Cub but it's smaller. Flies amazing with the F Pack. It's the FT Commuters competition. A solid little beast:
View attachment 140082 View attachment 140085 View attachment 140086
I have added a few things to it but it is set up as a 4 channel now, I am thinking of building a wing that will include flaps as well
I am Physically unable to Cut Aircraft Kits....
I've studied his design with GREAT interest! If I can get one, I'll happily Build one!

The one main thing that jumps out at me....
The FT Bushwacker NEEDED at least a little Dihedral!!! 😲😎
Unless of course, you're building an Acrobat (I'm NOT!)

I WANT to do the big and small one. 😉

But - pertaining to the Bird in Hand...
My little Sportster is a fantastically docile Slow Flyer for tight spaces!
If at all possible, that's going up NEXT! 😉👍👍

basslord1124

Master member
View attachment 140082 View attachment 140085 View attachment 140086

I had seen that here recently. Looks really cool...and I love the name! I may check it out sometime.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I had seen that here recently. Looks really cool...and I love the name! I may check it out sometime.
Funny thing is that when @Grifflyer first proposed the project it got a lot of attention as an idea, but since he has released the plans I haven't seen anyone else talk about building it... unless there are a few closet Shrubsmackers in hiding. Should actually do a group build thread. I see @CapnBry is showing interest in it today.

If you like your Cub man as a Mini this plane is what you need.

Good luck on the KFM wing

basslord1124

Master member
Funny thing is that when @Grifflyer first proposed the project it got a lot of attention as an idea, but since he has released the plans I haven't seen anyone else talk about building it... unless there are a few closet Shrubsmackers in hiding. Should actually do a group build thread. I see @CapnBry is showing interest in it today.

If you like your Cub man as a Mini this plane is what you need.

Good luck on the KFM wing

I really had no idea about the plane until I read where it was just released recently ...I looked up the original thread earlier. Sometimes things sneak past me and I don't realize it.

I do like the idea of supporting fellow community members and trying their designs. I can't say when I will join in on the build fun, but I will do my best and provide any feedback. I will say this, after the FT Edge scratchbuild, I am definitely looking to take a break on some simpler designs. :)

Oh, and my 2 cents...the Shrubsmacker appeals to me more than the FT Commuter for a little mini Cub. The FT Commuter just never really jumped out at me.

PoorManRC

Master member
I really had no idea about the plane until I read where it was just released recently ...I looked up the original thread earlier. Sometimes things sneak past me and I don't realize it.

I do like the idea of supporting fellow community members and trying their designs. I can't say when I will join in on the build fun, but I will do my best and provide any feedback. I will say this, after the FT Edge scratchbuild, I am definitely looking to take a break on some simpler designs. :)

Oh, and my 2 cents...the Shrubsmacker appeals to me more than the FT Commuter for a little mini Cub. The FT Commuter just never really jumped out at me.
I agree with you there...
I really want to like the Commuter. My thing is, it's just too small for me. I'd love a 150% version. 😉

I'm going to do a Scrubsmaker. It's really intriguing.
I thought I wanted to move away from Minis... But sometimes you just want to put something up with no fuss (HARD to do in the middle of a City).
Minis fill that need nicely! 😉

mayan

Legendary member
I really want to like the Commuter. My thing is, it's just too small for me. I'd love a 150% version. 😉

I thought I wanted to move away from Minis... But sometimes you just want to put something up with no fuss (HARD to do in the middle of a City).
Totally agree with you :)!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

I also found, which might appeal to you, is the release vid of Griff flyin showcases what the plane is capable of at the top end sporty side and his flying skills of coarse. What I found when I fly mine is the slow speed, tight area, gentle glide slope, scale cruising this thing can accomplish. To set up a smooth landing even from height you can cut the throttle completely, then position for a landing from any direction and glide it in with a slight flair a foot off the ground. Lands like a feather. And that's a 4 channel. Then add flaps to that and practice your throttle control on landings, which is my plan. Try it out

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Totally agree with you :)!

I really like the look of the Commuter given it wasn't just another squared off boxy folded fuse, it has some scale lines to it and really encompasses the shape of the Cessna, but it was only meant to carry a 2s battery with little room for adjustment. Perfect for the A Pack but my 3s 850 wouldn't have fit in there I don't think... correct me if I am wrong. All regards to Ben, I subscribed to his You Tube channel, I watch all his stuff, and he makes some awesome planes. If the plane was scaled up a bit it could work out but then the Shrubsmacker came up and it was a no brainer

basslord1124

Master member
...All regards to Ben, I subscribed to his You Tube channel, I watch all his stuff, and he makes some awesome planes. If the plane was scaled up a bit it could work out but then the Shrubsmacker came up and it was a no brainer

I think that's my issue with it. Just too small. If I did attempt the Commuter I would definitely blow it up. I think it'd be good in the 40" to 50" wingspan range.