Newbie achievement room

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Amen Brother!

I too fell for the “easy” three channel trap. It certainly takes awhile to unlearn...
Looks like you are well on your way though! Congrats.

With all this talk of the simple scout, I’ve added (re-added 🤔) one to my fleet. This one has a gyro!

You’ll find you don’t need much rudder at all, just enough to keep her from skidding around turns.
It DOES help immensely on taxiing and takeoff roll though,
The Spit I am flying now is a 3 channel AET as a belly lander which I think is the best way to set up a 3 channel. More control in the air, and to go to a 4 channel is just the addition of a rudder without switching the controls around. And even the Spit as a bank and yank still makes smooth scale turns, Just no knife edge kinda stuff.

The Scout started out as a 3 channel RET just like my Mini Scout that I love flying but since flying the Spit and the Shrubsmacker, it had to have ailerons so it's now a 4 channel. It to is a belly lander which is how I am going to maiden it today. But I think I will be putting wheels on it, practice my ground take offs and landings, then step up to floats for water flying.

Point being is that i don't think I'll build another RET again. I still have a couple Minis that are, like my Speedster Biplane or the Mini Scout, and I'll save those as indoor flyers.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I don't understand why a person would want to learn that 3 channel setup, train your brain and thumbs once.
I'm guessing the reason they do it is because the plane still banks even though it is rudder and not ailerons so what you see and your control input into the Tx is the same. When you move to 4 channel the bank now comes from the ailerons and you have the rudder as a bonus. Actually controlling the rudder from the throttle stick as a RET 3 channel would be more confusing, when you move to 4 channel you probably wouldn't use ailerons at all. that's my guess.

sundown57

Legendary member
Seeing how I learned to crawl yesterday, and everyone said I did such a great job I obviously figured my next logical step would be the FT-3D right? I mean how hard could it be?

Attachments

• IMG_4082.JPG
    IMG_4082.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4083.JPG
    IMG_4083.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4084.JPG
    IMG_4084.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4085.JPG
    IMG_4085.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Seeing how I learned to crawl yesterday, and everyone said I did such a great job I obviously figured my next step should be the FT-3D right? I mean how hard could it be?
Quite simple actually as long as you dial back the throws, 3D planes make some really good "trainers" as long as you aren't running crazy throws. When trimmed, they'll go wherever you want them and they're extremely axial.

Looks great by the way!!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I had a not so much of an achievement but a couple firsts today. I had the opportunity to go out to an airfield and fly, with people, who also fly. There is like 3 firsts in that one sentence. Thanks to @Headbang who invited me out there to fly at their airfield as a guest and it was so good I almost am lost for words to explain it. Again this may be something that is no big deal to anyone else but I felt like I was in Disneyland. I am self taught on how to build and fly these planes with limited success compared to some of the guys I met today. One of the first people I met today was @Photo001, both of these guys are super awesome to chill with and so informative. I learned so much today about electronics and batteries, build techniques, and of coarse flying as well. As ,ore people were showing up to the airstrip the experience just got better. The planes that I saw and the talent that flew them was amazing. From scale to 3D it was all a high point. I flew my Spitfire to get some confidence then had @Headbang maiden my Baby Blender, handed me the sticks and flew it some as well. It flew awesome BTW. If you want to check out the build it is Baby Blender thread. I was actually surprised at how well it did, trimmed it out a bit and smooth flying from there.

I did have some technical failures today with my ESC battery lead coming loose and lost my Spit for 20 mins in a farmers field, but found it and all was good. @Headbang let me take up his FT Explorer which is the first time i flew one of those as well. Got some training on the low passes, some quality tips. And this guy is so generous that he actually gave me the Explorer, with all the components... WTF really! Yea you read it right, handed me the plane and said "Here, I don't fly it and it's still a good plane, it's yours." Who does that? If i already didn't like the guy, he just became my best man at my wedding... if I ever got married. In fact I am gonna promote the hell outta this guy, Not only was he gracious enough to invite me out to his airpark, everyone there was willing to help with tips and tricks, but he understood what I was trying to do with the hobby and took the time to explain everything I asked about and then some. He is so loaded with quality information. For anyone reading this and you see him post on this forum please give him a like and read what he has to say, super smart guy and went far out of his way to help me out. He sets the bar for our hobby and I hope to have the knowledge and experience he has one day.

As the afternoon went on I got to meet some other guys in the club, got to see some quality high end planes, told some tales, and all around just had fun in sun. Then just before I left we were talking about past planes and such and he asked a few of us if anyone had a pack to fit in his FT Long Easy, I spoke up and again he hands me the plane and gives it away. Does this get any better. I can't say enough about today. @Headbang, thank you so much for the awesome experience. I will never forget it. Thanx
20190824_103046.jpg
The Baby Blender just before take off
20190824_154537.jpg
A real 7 cyl radial
20190824_130753.jpg 20190824_133045.jpg
And some casualties

moret

when you move to 4 channel you probably wouldn't use ailerons at all. that's my guess.

IMHO moving to 4 channel just forget about the rudder to begin with. Use the ailerons to control your turns. After you get better start playing with the rudder, It gets helpful on landing. I did my simple cub built first as 3 channel. Did one flight and took it home and redid it to 4 channel. I am no teacher by any means, but any one who has wanted to try to fly I have always used a 4 channel.

Glad you had a good day at the club field. Its a lot of fun to fly with others as long as you can remember to keep your eyes on YOUR plane while flying

moret

Seeing how I learned to crawl yesterday, and everyone said I did such a great job I obviously figured my next logical step would be the FT-3D right? I mean how hard could it be?

I also have a 3D, I moved all my pushrods so I have the smallest throws. It does fly really well but my problem is my mind starts thinking I have a 3D plane. I should try to see if......…. Maybe that is why I now have number 3. And in the build video it is said that the wings are really strong, They have crashed the planes many time and not knocked the wings off. I must be a better pilot, I took mine off more then once;)

Headbang

Master member
I had a not so much of an achievement but a couple firsts today. I had the opportunity to go out to an airfield and fly, with people, who also fly. There is like 3 firsts in that one sentence. Thanks to @Headbang who invited me out there to fly at their airfield as a guest and it was so good I almost am lost for words to explain it. Again this may be something that is no big deal to anyone else but I felt like I was in Disneyland. I am self taught on how to build and fly these planes with limited success compared to some of the guys I met today. One of the first people I met today was @Photo001, both of these guys are super awesome to chill with and so informative. I learned so much today about electronics and batteries, build techniques, and of coarse flying as well. As ,ore people were showing up to the airstrip the experience just got better. The planes that I saw and the talent that flew them was amazing. From scale to 3D it was all a high point. I flew my Spitfire to get some confidence then had @Headbang maiden my Baby Blender, handed me the sticks and flew it some as well. It flew awesome BTW. If you want to check out the build it is Baby Blender thread. I was actually surprised at how well it did, trimmed it out a bit and smooth flying from there.

I did have some technical failures today with my ESC battery lead coming loose and lost my Spit for 20 mins in a farmers field, but found it and all was good. @Headbang let me take up his FT Explorer which is the first time i flew one of those as well. Got some training on the low passes, some quality tips. And this guy is so generous that he actually gave me the Explorer, with all the components... WTF really! Yea you read it right, handed me the plane and said "Here, I don't fly it and it's still a good plane, it's yours." Who does that? If i already didn't like the guy, he just became my best man at my wedding... if I ever got married. In fact I am gonna promote the hell outta this guy, Not only was he gracious enough to invite me out to his airpark, everyone there was willing to help with tips and tricks, but he understood what I was trying to do with the hobby and took the time to explain everything I asked about and then some. He is so loaded with quality information. For anyone reading this and you see him post on this forum please give him a like and read what he has to say, super smart guy and went far out of his way to help me out. He sets the bar for our hobby and I hope to have the knowledge and experience he has one day.

As the afternoon went on I got to meet some other guys in the club, got to see some quality high end planes, told some tales, and all around just had fun in sun. Then just before I left we were talking about past planes and such and he asked a few of us if anyone had a pack to fit in his FT Long Easy, I spoke up and again he hands me the plane and gives it away. Does this get any better. I can't say enough about today. @Headbang, thank you so much for the awesome experience. I will never forget it. Thanx
View attachment 140528
The Baby Blender just before take off
View attachment 140531
A real 7 cyl radial
View attachment 140529 View attachment 140530
And some casualties
Thank you for all the good words! My number 1 goal is to make sure new people have success in this hobby. I find myself enjoying the mentoring aspect almost more then the flying. Later on when you surpass me, you can teach me new things!

I should have video of the baby blender, might have to do a bunch of sound editing to filter out some of the peanut galleries language. Give me a few days I will have it up.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thank you for all the good words! My number 1 goal is to make sure new people have success in this hobby. I find myself enjoying the mentoring aspect almost more then the flying. Later on when you surpass me, you can teach me new things!

I should have video of the baby blender, might have to do a bunch of sound editing to filter out some of the peanut galleries language. Give me a few days I will have it up.
Thanx man appreciate everything

bracesport

Legendary member
I have always used bank and yank with the rudder not setup until now on the Spit (yikes) - actually, I have been trying the rudder on the simulator doing some slope (but I think reality will be different)! o_O

mayan

Legendary member
Wow so much to read here, amazing! @sundown57 your flying was great great job. The Simple Scout is an awesome plane and I too like @kilroy07 should build myself a new one.

I learned to fly 3 channel rudder on the right and also had a bit of an issue getting used to flying 4 channels because the effect of ailerons is much great than that of a rudder at least with small control surfaces like in the TT. Today if I had to recommend how to start is go 4 channel right off the bat. Which is what I am doing with my son.

I don't understand why a person would want to learn that 3 channel setup, train your brain and thumbs once.
Totally agree with you here buddy.

@BATTLEAXE happy to hear about you finding a flying buddy, that’s always helpful. Even more happy that you got two birds to fly.

@Headbang great job in being a mentor and a good friend that’s the true Flite Test spirit! I too like teaching others and get much joy out of it :).

BTW @sundown57 when can we expect a video of the FT 3D?

sundown57

Legendary member
BTW @sundown57 when can we expect a video of the FT 3D?

I was hoping to fly it today but its super windy. if it dies down this evening ill take it out then. if not ill have to wait for the next calm day.

speaking of the weather. I just took a look at the weather channel. Anyone have a set of plans ready to go for a hurricane hunter plane?

sundown57

Legendary member
A little more practice and you'll get the hang of it. Try adding some expo and deflection rates to help you smooth out the flight until you get used to it.
I had the rates way down and expo down too. I think next one I build I'm going to use a 2200 motor with a 6-inch prop. that 1000kv and 10 inch is a lot of motor for starting out on.

Headbang

Master member
I had the rates way down and expo down too. I think next one I build I'm going to use a 2200 motor with a 6-inch prop. that 1000kv and 10 inch is a lot of motor for starting out on.
You can always throttle down. In 3d flight one is almost never at full throttle except to pull put of a maneuver or recover from a mistake. Having all that power allows you to blip the throttle and have instant response from the control surfaces, but if you do not need it at the time, half throttle is a wonderful thing.